Register now to get rid of these ads!

UPDATE..What is this ...because I own it now.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustahaulic, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Many thanks to all of you who responded to my post about my new project/find (51 Sedan Delivery)...I have some exciting news unpon digging through it today...I found the rear seats were not seats..just setting in it so it is 2 seater 2 door sedan delivery, and the box under the dash was indeed a box for lights...a rear antenna was in place at one time for a 2 way radio...very possibly a Fire Dept vehicle...so in memory of my grandad who was a fire chief/EMT for many years I am gonna theme it as such and call it "the Fire Chief"...with complementary touches...
    But this gets better:
    ...at one time when (probably the brats who were responsible for caving in the roof and hood) lit off fireworks in it catching it on fire (how appropriate) and burned up the drivers door panel and carpet...
    I was digging through the rubbish in the floor board and found a small envelope...and inside was the title, registration, title transfer and insurance card form 1983...SCORE!!!...so now I'll be able to title it with no problem...also I'm gonna try to contact previous owners..and find out it's history...I foldered all my Photo Bucket pics and it broke the links...so here they are again and I'll take some more tomorrow or Monday when I get it out of the garage..
    Also included are the #'s ..

[​IMG]
    Numbers on the A pillar are:

C-51 286
    9-JJD 12396 Hope this helps someone to help me decode the car a little better...

I'll post the other pics again to...

2. Here's the other one's..."the Fire Chief"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

51 chevy ambulance?

4. squirrel

squirrel

9: built in Norwood Ohio

JJ: 1951 model 1508 sedan delivery

D: built in April 1951

5. What about the 286?

6. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know about that....if we had a picture of the tag it might help us figure it out?

7. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

where are the tail lights??

8. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

Tail light*

Looks like its on the driver's side

9. I had to stand in the doorway to get the rear pic, so it didn't show up in the pic...it's there... but it only has one, on a tower on the drivers side...
    Hopefully I'll be able to get the tires to hold air and move it out of it's 20+ year interment today and get some pics in the sunlight...

TO BE CONTINUED..................

10. Ok after meeting with the ole farmer who owned the property I not only got the story on the sedan delivery I got a bonus...he wrote me a bill of sale and told me to not to forget the other on...What Other One???...he said yea in the treeline...so I went over and it was a 49 -50 chevrolet hearse/ambulance..not sure yet was really muddy and I wasn't prepared for a field excersion...but it was built by some custom coach company outta Memphis, TN...I shot a couple pics but it'll be a few days before I can get it out of the field....
    So apparentley the cars belonged to a renter of his 20 yrs ago who up and left oweing him money and never returned...He had been raided for growing maryjane a couple times in his potatoe celler he said and they called him squirrel...lol...anyway I tried to air upthe tires...dry rotted and so I robbed the wheels and tires off my nova and proceded forward..I found all kinds of interesting stuff in the car including a J.O.B. joint roller and all kinds of other stuff a 5 gal jery can and I got inside after pulling out loads of crapola...usedmy legs and pushed out about 70% of the dents in the roof and 90% of the hood...Ye haw! Got it all loaded up and got her home with me and thought I'd share a few more pics of her first visit into the sun in mannny years...
    As well as a few of the 49-50 hearse...Anyway lost the light...I'll get it cleaned out tomorrow and know more then..

Here's a couple of the one in the tree line...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more to come.....

11. Here's the chief comin out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check it out...RED snake skin door panels????:confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last one 2000 and 1951 Tahoes..ha!

[​IMG]

12. Im jealous...cool find

13. whitewallslick

whitewallslick
    1. oHIo

I think the delivery has been waiting for YOU for a long time. That will be a great project.

Btw, that hearse is killer!

14. I've never seen one with 2 side windows before;it's got to be a VERY rare vehicle.The 49 looks like it might be a National conversion.Saw one many years ago in Massachusetts that had one piece side windows with crosses etched on the glass.It was used in a small town in Colorado as both an ambulance and a hearse.Normally one like this is what is usually called a,"first response" vehicle;meaning used for removing bodies from an accident scene to the morgue and sometimes to a funeral parlor.

15. Wild_47

Wild_47

Nice find or finds. Keep us updated.

16. I would welcome a little help in the photochop area...
    I am leaning towards a firetruck red color...
    I would like to see it slammed and about a 4-5 inch chop,
    maybe some scallops shaped around those rear fender skirts...big fat white walls....I dunno ...Whatcha got????

17. How about on this pic..if ya need a different on or a bigger one...e mail me and I'll send ya one direct...Thanks Chris~

[​IMG]

18. That thing is so cool!!What are YOUR plans for it?Ambulance,hearse,delivery?

19. I'm not 100% sure what yet, I may try to get the ole 6 banger goin for now, but it's a sled so I think it needs a bigger motor, I have a nice 327 and muncie so maybe a floor shifted 4 speed as well..we shall see...driveline wise I just want it to be reliable and capible of towing my Harley or my Vicki to runs and festivals/HAMB drags etc...maybe a trailer to the swapmeets...

I'd also like to chop it maybe 4-6 inches...tryin to get someone to help me photochop now...Gonna throw some FAT whities on it for rolling around for now...I am gonna paint it RED.. I think...I've never and I mean NEVER wanted to paint a vehicle red before now...I've had to paint a few that color because they already were and would be too hard to change, but this on was black originally (It's a big joke with a buddy of mine that all my killer deals of cars always turn out to be red, why should this one be any different huh...lol)
    I dunno, I've never owned a car of this year before...
    As for the hearse I'm gonna sell it most likely, lack of time space, money...

I'd like to see hot rod pics of your 49-53's especially if ya have a sedan delivery...I'm lookin for ideas and welcome any suggestions...

Well I'm off to the field to see what it's gonna take to get the hearse outta the treeline...chainsaw, 4x4, 4 more tires that hold air...12 pack...
    See ya'll later on...HBilly

20. I checked and the trailer thats a front doors back delivery from a 53-54 is still for sale if ya need roof and door parts
    i can see how much?
    but wait now your gettin two ...
    i like the second one a little better

so is the 68 stll gonna be scrapped
    i see you did not mention it this time hahaha

and good luck finding a pass side stock taillite stand !!!!
    but your lucky it is prolly in the back of the 3rd car by the title card...

21. Pdog...sure check it out see what the $$ are for it...it would have to be cheap...
    Actually the hearse has the single tailight stand as well...
    was think about putting it on the pass side and having a pair...
    Yea new development on the 66-not 68 I found out yesterday..scrappers tried to haul it off day before yesterday the ole farmer stopped them...he forgot he had promised it to a buddy of his(he's in his late 70's) but if his buddy can't get it right away it's still mine...I looked under it yesterday it has a 12 bolt rear to go along with the 41K miled 327 and 400 turbo...and AFB carb...

22. old cheif smoksum
    put the best hood on the one your keeping and save the belt trim (mine has been sanded /ground on so i am lookin....)
    also as posted the 53-54 brakes should be a easy swap
    THAT LITE WONT SWAP TRIED THAT MYSELF..

squirrel ?any memory?????
    did ya relly get a good tour
    sounds like a massacre movie kinda place
    OLD MISSING RENTER
    AMBULANCES
    TATER CELLER
    WRECKS IN THE TREE LINE
    MUSTY UNKNOWN SMELLS
    BROKEN GLASS
    MYSTERIOUS BOXES
    VARMITS
    BOOOAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA
    and you left before dark....

23. haring

haring

You got TWO cars AND found original paperwork just sitting in an envelope inside?

Lucky duck.

24. O And Thse Are Cal Custom Window Cranks And Door Latches I Have A Few Sets Of Them New In The Package Stockers Are Ez To Find Tho..

25. pdog, yea only one side was good though...the other burned up in the fire(haha) on the drivers side...I also found un exploded fireworks...yea it looks like a jeepers keepers inda 100 yr old farm house...

Hey Haring...if ya look at the first interior pics I posted ya see the red envelope on the floor...I hadn't searched the floors yet but that was the title and other paperwork just lyin there...waitin to be found...I still can't believe it...I got calls from 3 of my buddies wanting me to go buy powerball tickets yesterday(I'd just blow it on cars)...I don't have that kind of luck...just good car karma I guess...

26. So I pulled the "Fire Chief" to the car wash today gave it a bath and cleaned it out....Wow...what a bunch of crap...but the best thing was the roofing tarpaper and wooden floorboards with 1x1 supports nailed to them to resting on the frame to hold them up, underneath the yellow shag carpeting...Are you fuckin kidding me!:eek: ...
    Boy the name squirrel was appropriate for this guy....anyway at least I know what I have to work with...front floor are cooked but all the rest are solid...This may be more work then I was wanting to get into for this type of car....I'm on the fence about it...I really wanted somthing I could just mechanicly repair and drive maybe some body work...not major reconstuction...I have enough fabrication to do with my Vicki...

It's almost dried up enough from the rain here to go pick up the 49 Chevy Hearse, gonna try tomorrow, got some tires mounted on the factory wheels off the 51 today to at least make it roll out of the treeline...
    I'll have mobetta pic's of that project tomorrow...
    should be interesting...stay tuned!!!!

27. If you get serious on chopping the 51, I think you need to chop the top so the side windows all match in height. Right now the door window extends above and below the rear side windows. Making them all the same height would look really good. Never seen one with the two side windows, kind of suburban-like appearance, but on a sedan delivery body.

Like the hearse as well.

28. Thanks 38Chev...yea I agree they look outta whack being odd sized...they would definatly have to be resized...this may be too much of an undertaking for me right now, as I am in mid fab of my 31 Vicki, at least I saved the pair from the crusher, hopefully I will be able to find someone who will love them right...
    I already have some interest in the Hearse and I havn't even advertised it yet, and my next door neighbor has a buddy who brokers cars to Sweden and such he says they go crazy for cars like the Window deivery, so maybe it'll go out of the country..
    Nothing is for sure yet, I'm just a lil bummed about it right now..

29. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

That's some lucky shit finding the title and stuff like that. They look like they'd make some fun cars for somebody down the line. I'd sell one and build the one into the "Chief" like you said - lots of satisfaction and pleasure in doing a tribute like that. Good luck - like you'll friggin need it!