Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you protect your Hot Rod when traveling and staying overnight in a motel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GotRust, Apr 11, 2007.

1. How do you protect your car? My girfriend will get real cranky if I make her sleep in the car and the Chihuahua is too friendly. Would a baby monitor in the car help(I can listen to the car being stolen)? Logging chain, hand grenade(oh scratch the paint), boa constrictor, or a junk yard dog help?

2. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Some of the guys talked about this awhile back at some length. I think a great way to protect it would be to talk to the person working the front desk and ask them if you could park it in the lighted area right outside their front doors where someone is definitely going to see it.

There was also an idea to put a cigarrette lighter into the ignition wiring between the key and the starter. Push the lighter in and make the connection to start the car. When not in it, remove the lighter and put it in your pocket.

3. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

This is a great question and one the I have pondered for a while since most of my trips will be out of town. Reponses anyone?

4. Shane T.

Shane T.

Pull the battery and the steering wheel(it's on a quick connect adapter).

5. I have tried the baby moniter with some success, but some times there is to much interference. I always ask for a room over looking the parking lot. I always disconnect the power to my car, I have electric doors. And last ,I know I'm a woose I use a car cover. Carlg

6. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm for hire, but I'm not cheap.

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://smg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v104/overspray/tsmg/Reed.flv"></embed>

7. Felt unsure of my 357 switched to 44 feel much better

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I usually will take the steering wheel off and lock it in the trunk so I don't lose it, that might not be too good. I also have a kill switch (mainly for the flamethrowers) Saw a couple guys in Vegas doing the same thing. One guy pulled all 8 of his plug wires. You could also just pull the coil wire and keep it in your pocket.

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Mine is insured....over insured. If they can figure out how to start and drive it without serious injury.......he/she can have it.
    Or maybe a 150lb Rottweiller....

10. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

i took my dads vette down to daytona and back in my teens. i just pulled the distributor rotor off and disconnected the battery each night. nobody ever tried to steal it but lots of people asked to pose for pictures with it or sit in it. most motels i have been to are set up so you can park your car right outside the door and window to your room. i sleep with the tv on and the curtains cracked just enough to show the flickering light from the tv. never had a problem yet and i have driven my cars and my dads all over america canada and mexico.

11. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

I've used a chain/lock on the shifter,or a big chain/lock on the pitman arm,to the frame turned in a tight left turn. I am thinking of building a denver boot type device,to keep the car from rolling. Locks or blocks stop/ deter most 'casual' thieves. Bottom line is, if they really want it, they will get it..:mad:

12. skyphix

skyphix

The Buick guys make sure to stay at hotels with other Buick guys and then take 3 hour shifts all night sitting outside watching the cars.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

We have driven our roadsters all over the place and just parked them in the lot like they were a transportation piece(they are) and have never had any problems. Parked at the movies, the grocery store, the restaurant, the mall. When traveling we did cover them with tarps at night in case of rain or dew in the morning.
    Thugs, fools and hooligans don't want to be seen jacking around with the car that EVERYBODY who comes by is watching and admiring. They'd rather steal a BMW or Lexus or Chevy/Ford pickup, easier and worth more and instantly dumpable.

14. Jimv

Jimv

When i park i usually put a large lock thru the front rotor( old harley trick) set a motion alarm & switch the coil wire with a plug wire on the dist.
    JimV

15. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

#1 If you are that worried you need Full coverage insurance, and just don't leave any important personal effects in the Vehicle.
    #2 I ALWAYS put a battery disconnect switch hidden somewhere in, on or under my vehicle, both for a safety measure, and anti theft
    #3 If equipped with an electric fuel pump i also hide a switch for it as well.
    #4 Make sure it is locked, keys out etc, which I really can't lock most of my hot rods!!!

16. Years ago my buddy had a simple, yet effective way. An ill fitting CAR COVER! He says, when was the last time you drove down the street at 4AM and thought twice when passing a covered car in a slightly remote area? Now, imagine this time at 4AM in the same remote area, and it's a really nice shiny black, 65 Vette convertible with brand new polished centerlines (it's 1978), and a scoop on the hood to suggest speed parts on board. Catch the drift?

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Car cover is the best...out of sight out of mind...
    Put in a battery shut-off switch (they're easy and can be hidden, mine is in the trunk), if that isn't enuff comfort for you, put a switch in the coil wire...the one going to the ignition...switch it to off at nite.

I've heard tell of some guys using a fuel pump shut off...and also a brake (line-loc) type switch so the brakes are locked all nite, and of course, if that isn't enuff comfort for you, you can use a steering wheel club...

I've been rod running for 30 years now...been across this country many times...never had any problem in a motel lot...throw on the car cover and don't worry about it.

If there's a chance, ask the motel nite attendant if you can use the handicapped spot, if there is no one handicapped in the motel that nite...problem with that is if you have no handicapped plate or sticker, you might find a nasty note on your car the next morn.

R-

18. roof up..side screens on..that's it..it's a car...OK

19. guiseart

guiseart

I've unhooked the battery and brought it in the room before, not too many crooks carry an extra... but that wouldn't stop the real serious ones who want to tow it off.

20. racer5c

racer5c

What about for the situation like happened at the hunnert car pileup where they stole that guys valve covers?? How do you prevent stuff like this?(worrying about my vertex mag)

21. flathead48

flathead48

I pull the coil wire, never had any problems. Try to pick a good part of town to stay the night in, but Im a very lite sleeper, always carry Mr. 45 cal with me.;)

22. bohlsd

bohlsd

Old timey stuff. Chain and padlock on hood or hood pins with small padlocks in place of quick release pins. Personally I like to use a car cover and keep it overinsured.

23. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This is slightly O/T but several years ago, back when I had my '54 ford, I came across a parking garage in SoCal where they had a sign that said "No Loud exhausts or lowered cars." No kidding. Well being the genious that I am, I parked the car and fully deflated the bags. When I got back to my car there was a tow driver attempting to hook up to my bumper. What was he gonna do? Drag the car on it's frame back to the tow yard? I pointed this out and he said I would be responsible for all damage that occured. Now I don't get mad very often, but I got kinda mad. Luckily I had my trusty tire thumper under the seat. He got my point and unhooked. The funny thing is-The garage attendant gave me a ticket and let me in to begin with. That's when i came up with my anti-tow/theft idea for bagged cars-it involved two air powered saws positioned slightly above two obvious tow hooks. Bye bye cable. :D Obviously I'm joking but Grrrrrr:mad:

24. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Prayer has always worked for me.

B:)B

25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been all over the U.S. with one old car or another for the last 30+ years and never have had a problem anywhere. I usually just park in any available spot. Of course my cars don't look like they're worth much........:rolleyes:

26. My car has very good insurance. While I don't want it to go away, it is just a car.

I lock the doors and sleep soundly.

27. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I have thought about drilling a hole through the brake rotor on one front wheel and placing a lock through the rotor. As soon as the wheel turned to where the lock was against the caliper it would stop that wheel from turning. A car is very difficult to move with one front wheel locked. It is harder to move a car with one wheel locked than if two wheels are locked.

Another simple step is to remove the fuse for the fuel pump and the one for the coil or ignition.

John

28. 47bob

47bob

Travel in pairs and chain your cars together at night. How would that be. Just a thought. .....Bob

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Most real chop shops are gonna have a tow truck or a rollback, so it won't really matter. All of the things mentioned will stop the dumb crackheads but if they want it......they'll get it.

30. Pops

Pops
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa

As it has been stated above, I've been driving hot rods to out of town events for nearly 30 years. I do normal things, make sure it's insured, a kill switch, throw a cover over it, try to park near my room - but that being said, it is a car - enjoy it and don't stress.

J.