Register now to get rid of these ads!

Salt flat special... ed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammerndollie, Apr 11, 2007.

1. hammerndollie

hammerndollie

A friend and I are kicking around the idea of building something for the salt. We are leaning toward air cooled big bore VW, and laying it out in a bellytank styled ride. Any idea on Class? I know a streamliner has at least two wheels covered. Lakester? I have sent away for this years current rules, so I'm sure that will help with most of my Q's, soooo.... anybody got a tank? If nothing we will just roll out a hoop skeleton and glass the thing, but would rather run an actual tank. I believe I heard something about a place in Cincinnati where they were sitting outside on racks in a fenced in storage unit! Anybody got any leads?

2. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

:confused:

3. tjm73

tjm73

Talking Big Bore VW (or vitrually anything VW) here will get you reemed. Lube up cause it's coming.

Personally I find the idea intreging.

4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

what kinda class would that be? I've got some vw stuff that would be pretty impressive.

5. pitman

pitman

If the creative gets hammered on, the spirit will take a hit. I'd rather entertain the occasional heresy...esp. if it's a salt car. A belly tanker looks right, and what you run inside it should be the motor you know best. A friend built a street based beetle gasser w/a 370" SBC in 1975, driving it from the back seat. If the craftsmanship is there, I'd hate to think we should shun this kind of work. Traditional IS the basis of the site, but we become interested in the work of our compatriots...I admire Plowboy's stuff, but bubbletops were a rare form of "prototype" or the one-off Roth, back when I was learning the craft. If it begins to get out-of-hand, then it might want to "go away", and there are plenty of sites available. Wouldn't you want some insight from the guys/gals whose opinions you respect? I'd rather encourage our members and learn what they're making. O/T usually makes the post clear.

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Vw??? Not On This Board...

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Assuming it's between 1500 and 2000cc that's G class. Unblown on gas the record is 211. On fuel 218. Blown gas 212 and blown fuel 235. looks like a hair dryer on the VW would be a good investment.

8. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Don't knock those Volkswagons on the salt. The Saturday night at the bend gathering just wouldn't be the same without a few of those HOT early Volks engines giving their all for the cause! Warming the hearts (And everything else) of Hot Rodders. Here's one just starting to warm up. :D

Attached Files:

9. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

is that an aircooled only class or does that include any motor in the 1500-2000cc range?

my vw motor is an autocraft race motor alcohol injected. 2100cc though

10. I don't care what you put in it records is records.

do a search in thr for sale there was a bunch of belly tanks for sale a couple of weeks back.

I got a book somewhere but I'm going to tell you up front you are going to have to put a couple fo fenders on it anyway so plan on some sort of either an experimental or streamlined class anyway.

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

VW powered bellytank would be RAD! The engine is LIGHT and small, so you'd have plenty of room for the driver, run the pipes back over the trans straight out the back, use a Mendella trans, turbo'd....oh yeah.....

There was a thread awile back about a VEGA salt car that was O.K. here, I don't see why/how this is any different........

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

2100cc puts you at the bottom of the next higher class, and methanol puts you in the fuel class, same as those guys running 98%. As you noted, a lakester runs with all four wheels in the breeze. Minimize frontal area to improve your aerodynamics; there is only so much you can do to make a lakester slicker, but making it smaller cuts the drag.

13. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

The only issue I can see is the width of the VW motor in a narrow tank.

There are many engine classes based on size and style, just have to find out where yours fits in.

Go to the Souther California Timing Association website for more info.

Not the right place for the VW motor, but a good idea with the tank. Personally, I don't see much of a problem.

Gene Berg started modding VWs in 57, so if thats not traditional, then what is?

14. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

This is a very cool idea!

Can't wait to see it take shape. Wonder if you could squeeze one in to a soap box size car... and stretch it out.

15. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Thanks old timer! The ink on your license aint even dry yet. :rolleyes:

For the salt, rules are based on body, displacement, fuel type and forced induction. running an air colled motor puts you in the same class as everyone else with a motor that size. there is a company making p-38 tanks out of fiberglass, fairly reasonable

http://www.scta-bni.org/
    http://saltflats.com/
    and landracing.com (and the forum) are a terrific resource for information.

I drove a vw once. ONCE.

16. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

then there is no reason to run a vw. an inliner will make more HP per cube over a vw any day. you just can't get them to flow with their head design.

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

There is no reason for most of the cars at Bonneville. It's a do what you want deal. Like my afore mentioned vega with a Packard engine. Or my '32 Plymouth powered roadster. 2100 CC would be 3000cc class "F" Blown fuel=262.520 unblown 223.305 blown gas 158.399 unblown 230. If that F/BGL record is right, thats your class

18. Here's two places to save you from searching. keep the money on the HAMB.:D

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173478&highlight=belly

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171970&highlight=belly

There is actually a very good reason to run a VD on the salt. I've never run one but the reason is the same reason for everything i do and probably the bulk of the real rodders in the world. you run one because you can.

19. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Aftermarket heads.....VW's are running in the 8's (possibly faster)....and the VW is alot lighter than an inliner...I think it's a doable project anyway....sure would be FUN..

20. tjm73

tjm73

What if you ran a slightly stroked Suzuki Hayabusa engine to get over 1500cc with a turbo? That would break the record for sure. 250-300 hp no problem and it can spin to over 10,000 rpm.

21. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

shit, they even have busa heads on a v8... sick power, crazy redline. lost the link to it, but its very humbling. should have stuck with m.e. the toys those guys have, the possibilities...

22. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

that's the hartley 2.8l v8. makes 400hp on gas and weighs next to nothing. only problem is it costs like $25k

I've thought of the smaller classes with the new 500cc four strokes that are coming out in snowmobiles. they make 80hp stock and have bolt on kits for 140hp turbo versions.

23. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Old VW's are cool. The only import that I've seen discussed here. The idea is good and if you can pull it off, let it be known here on the HAMB. I'd be concerned about front end weight at that kinda speed (over 200) it may want to go over backwards with no weight in the front. The rear could be molded to integrate the rear wheels and the engine for aerodynamics. You know, the Ghia is one of the most aerodynamic cars I've ever owned have you thought about one? I used to drive mine here in the South Texas heat with the windows down and you had to stick your head out the window to get air because the air flowed over the body so well. Just another idea. Anything on the salt, I'm interested in, well, just about anything.

24. There is nothing untraditional about a "bellytank on the salt",as there are many strange powerplants at bonneville,and always have been.:rolleyes:Good Luck,keep us posted.

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A VW powered car is a noble idea, but if your out to set records it's gonna be a tough road. As there is no distiction between air/water cooled, pushrod/ohc, I think you are going to see a poliferation of the dohc, high tech (read that ecotec/SoCal) type motors in the lower classes. Having spent a good part of the1970s building/wrenching VW racers ranging from mini-stocks to drag cars to midgets, about the only VW type motor that, I think, might have a prayer against them would be a high dollar billet Autocraft type piece. JMHO

26. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

So does anybody have a set of 1600 cases local that we can use for mock-up we will return after that stage.......

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't really need 1600 cases for mockup, all type1 cases are essentially the same. Go to the nearest VW shop and they probably have a pile of cases out back with rod exit holes in them for scrap price. :)

28. 28rpu

28rpu

Salt racing's addictive. You'll love it. Check with Wayno here on the HAMB. He's got the cool Jack Kelly molds and is popping out the P38. Enjoy.

29. hammerndollie

hammerndollie

Hey thanks to the fella's who had anything productie to say!! RIGHT ON! If there were any reason to the thing i do, then i guess the things would I do would be different than the things I'm doing... right, VW. air cooled. large, CHEAP! oh and the hair driar is def in plans. Aerodynamics are a major interest to me. I worked for a race car builder that did a lot of work on Indy cars in the late 70's early 80's, and taught me a good deal and about inducting air low and releasing it high. Also I weigh almost as much as a vw engine soaking wet, soo I think I would make a decent counter balance in case on turn over, haha! Oh and I've seen the repop glass jobs, thanks 53sled, lookin for the real thing otherwise we'll make our own. AND DEFINITELY PLAN ON SEEING MORE OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Muhahahaha

30. hammerndollie

hammerndollie

miami town offroad. I'll stop on my way down ryan