Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wide Whitewall Tire Grinding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Section 8, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I found the elusive Doyle Killebrew and had him grind my white letters into whitewalls.

This guy's a character, and knows all the old-timers. He has a stack of his work in magazines and letters of thanks including one from Dig Daddy Roth.

Any questions on the process, let me know.

The tires turned out great, $160 for all 4. He refused a tip.

My wheels are a little rigged, but are better than the cold-cut slicer look. Still trying to decide between some steel smoothies and Torq Thrust D's

Attached Files:

2. bloodandwhisky

bloodandwhisky
    from DFW Texas

They look great, process please!
    I believe there was a video post recently covering this.
    But if this guy is doing something different, I'd like to hear it.

3. bloodandwhisky

bloodandwhisky
    from DFW Texas

heres the vid
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xkcm3rh60p0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xkcm3rh60p0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    this is by BUGMAN by the way.
    heres the link to his post,
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124144

4. chop509

chop509

Awesome!
    "Smell like burnt rubber", can you imagine the black shit that comes outa your nose?

5. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

He's been doing this since 1976 and "doesn't believe" in wearing a mask.

The main difference between the do it yourself method with a grinder, and the ones he does, are these are slightly recessed and have really sharp lines and the texture of factory made ones.

His machine has a drum that rotates the wheel slowly, about 15 RPM.
    It connects to a shaft driven grinder with some kind of milling head located by a couple of arms to hold it stable so it makes nice straight cuts.

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

Truck looks far better with the wide whites. I'm sure doing it on a rotating device does make for a better outcome.

Cheap does have it's advantages though. You really did improve the trucks look.

7. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

the price sounds high to me. a guy does them here in denver for 15.00 a piece.

8. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Next time I'll drive to Denver.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

This is one way-subtracting rubber. Or, try Whitie's Wide Whites that does a process for vulcanizing (adding) white rubber onto your tires.
    Do the math. Whitie's has posts on the H.A.M.B., and offers a discount. Or see his site on MySpace.

10. jchav62

jchav62

I just had a set done in Albuquerque for $60. I just need to get wheels now...I'm not sure if I want to run Smoothies with no caps or Supremes. I like em both...Your truck looks great by the way!

11. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

8.00 a piece here in NM..

12. y block

y block
    from kcmo

I like the idear of DOING IT YOURSELF on a couple $10 tires- he says (in the vid) he is only taking 1/16" off- what does this do to the integrity of the tire- surely that black rubber was needed- I don't need a blowout at 60per- I have enough to worry about (brakes, trans, frame....)

13. Kustomz

Kustomz

Do they not make whitewall tires anymore? Guess I didn't realize they weren't available. Shows how long it has been since I bought a whitewall tire.

14. tstclr

tstclr

If you guys are looking for wide white bias ply tires, ask your dealer if he has any blems. I inquired about a set for my 54 Chevy. Firestone WW's listed at $212CDN. I enquired about whether he had any blems and he did- $163 each. Still pricey but a significant savings. I'm going to have a look at them to see how bad the blems are...
    Todd

15. jchav62

jchav62

Where?? In Albuquerque?? I usually go to this place on N. 4th Street called Classic Cars. He's gone up in the last year though.

16. jchav62

jchav62

Yes they do, but they are priced out of my league... Even if they are blemished. I got about $300 invested in my WW's. I've been around buffed whitewalls my whole life and no one has ever gotten a blowout because of them...I think they are fine...IMO...

17. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

Bahito lowrider is where...To be honest I wouldnt piss on Classis cars chuckie if he was on fire.

18. jchav62

jchav62

He is kind of shady...him and his son. Thanks for the info about Bajito's. I'll check with them next time.....You going to the Rumbler's show downtown next month?

19. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

tried it on some old skinny WW bias plys.... gummed up right away the second i touched it.....(didnt work)

20. bloodandwhisky

bloodandwhisky
    from DFW Texas

ordered a set of steelie 15s w/tires and WIIIIIIIDE whites from whitie on myspace, gonna pick them up at back to the beach in ventura on the 21st. Ill update you fellas on how they look/ride.
    wayne

oh. by the way, it was 300 for him to supply the wheels/tires and whites!

21. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

lol, yea hes shady alright I'll probably go to the show. If I get my merc re-primered.

22. metalman

metalman

Hey Bill, thanks on the tip, didn't know Bandito's was still around. Classic Cars did my Olds last year, burned right thru on 2 tires, all I got was "sorry"

23. Video was pretty educational,thanks.

24. lexistars

lexistars
    from Fontana

Love the Video! i am itching to Try it out.. the mr Wont let me near the angle grinder yet..lol scared I will Get to close to the new tires hahaha

25. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

26. me too, what is being removed is minimal and if that make the difference of whether my tire blows out or not, I need to get away from chinese tires and buy american chinese tires:cool:

27. Reverand Greg

Reverand Greg

When you go to the Rumblers show go to Maloneys around the corner good place used work there about ran the place.Lots of smoking up stairs,if you know what I mean