Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on exporting car from U.S to Canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tstclr, Apr 5, 2007.

1. tstclr

tstclr

Getting ready to bring back the 54 Chevy I bought. Apparently U.S customs requires a fax of the title 72 hours before bringing the car over to Canada. Does anyone have the fax # for the Detroit border crossing? I gave up on finding it on the U.S Customs website.
    Thanks
    Todd

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I was told you had to send the original title and did not except faxes.....
    this was about 5 years back.
    And it was at the Peace bridge at Buffalo.

3. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Yep, Jeff is correct...

Have the seller FedEx the title and bill of sale (in my case it was registration and statement of a non-title state) to the border crossing 72 hours prior, and make sure you call them and confirm that they have it.

When you stop at US customs on the way back they'll check the vin on the car against the paperwork, pretty simple. At Canada customs you'll pay the GST and you fill out some paperwork so that you can bring it to the MTO and have it registered.

Try this link, should have the contact info for the border crossing...
    http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/mi/3801.xml

4. Play400

Play400

Brought several across recently. Fax a copy to the US Border Station. Phone and verify they got it. To make sure everything goes smooth check back again after 3 days to ensure all okay. When you bring the car up you will have to stop at US customs and present the original Title. US Custom's will compare it to the fax'ed copy and then verify the serial number on the vehicle. Think they provided me with some paperwork, would have to check.

On the Canadian side, present the paper work, go thru intense questioning in regards to your trip and purchase. Be challenged on purchase price, pay GST and roll on home.

5. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Play400 has it nailed exactly. When I brought a car over last summer, they never even bothered to look at the car! The US Customs guys were unusally courteous and friendly...........very rare. Something about carrying a gun makes them think they have a big dick.

Get ready for the dickheads on the Canadian side. They will ask you numerous times how much you paid and if the car was purchased on eBay. THEY are the real assholes. Whatever you do, DO NOT falsify the purchase price.

6. Make sure and ask the hours of operation for the customs agents that do the car stuff. Here at the peace Bridge they only work 9-5 or something and if you miss them you wait till the next day for their shift again. I guess only certain agents handle this kind of stuff.

7. tstclr

tstclr

Got the number, faxed the title and called them to confirm they got it. They sounded like they were packin' weapons on the phone! No worries about falsifying the b.o.s - I only paid a grand for it. Someone told me I have to pay GST on the purchase price once I hit the Canadian side. Do I also have to pay GST again when I get my Ontario ownership? When I bought my Stude, I had to have an appraisal before they'd change over the ownership in order to have a value on the car to charge GST. I have a feeling I'm going to have to take it twice......
    Todd

8. Flatman

Flatman

You should only pay GST on the import, PST applies when registering...

Flatman

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Man, do I know that story.....

10. Play400

Play400

I register or transfer the title of my junk as soon as I get it across. It is a very good thing to have the ownership papers incase it goes missing, rules change or ? before you start on it. Also get storage insurance at same time. $50 per year. Then I pay the PST when I license it based on the original purchase price. We have government insurance and it only costs about $500 to insure my 55 and it is insured upto $50,000 ca. depending on receipts and market value. heck of a deal and I can drive it 7/24, to work etc. No restrictions.