Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kinda O/T Cloverleaf Sppedway old 8X10 photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruisinkruty, Apr 5, 2007.

1. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

I am looking for old Cloverleaf Speedway photos for my shop. Cloverleaf Speedway was a 1/4 mile asphalt oval in Cleveland,Ohio. It was closed down due to too many political conflicts and sadly is now a gravel pit for a construction company. Any leads greatly apprieciated

Attached Files:

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

Sorry, I looked and looked and looked for the ones my uncle should have had but I couldn't find them. We went to Cloverleaf a couple times but mostly went to Painesville.

He was always taking pictures and when he passed away a few years ago alot of his pictures turned up missing.

These would have been from the late 60's.

3. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

That is exactly what I am looking for 60's pics, Black and white 8X10 track photos

4. Mike53

Mike53

Wow thats a cool pic,wish I could help,I started going to Toledo Speedway in the 60's and remember cars like that.Some guys would come over for the big shows.Great times.For some cool Michigan stuff check out www.waterwinterwonderland.com

5. Mike53

Mike53

6. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

I got some other photos of Roy gemberling and his burning Ford Galaxie at Cloverleaf off a fellow Hamber awhile ago,I will post them later.

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Have you tried tracking down the track photog(s) of the era you're interested in? Those I know seem to be real pack rats and hang on to most their old work.

8. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

I,D luv to but alas I dunno who they were...Few people around here remember or even care. Once again any leads would be helpful.:D

9. FatRat

FatRat

We raced mini stocks there and at Lorain Co. Speedway around 1990/1991. It was a neat track.

You have sparked my interest in getting old photos of Queen City Speedyway here in Cincinnati. It was Tri County Speedway when it was dirt. We raced late models there until it closed for the same bullshit reasons. They started building new homes in that area and all of the sudden the noise was too much for all of the neighbors. Seems like the track was there before the new homes were. Go figure.

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

O.K. go here: http://www.thevintageracer.com/ search Cloverleaf Speedway. Doing a quick search it appears they had a reunion in 05, so apparently some still care. Also go here:http://www.earhs.org/ and then start e-mailing and posting on the message boards and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.

Attached Files:

11. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Just spotted this thread. You need to get with Denny Hudock as he's the expert on the 'Leaf and other NE Ohio tracks from the time that stockers still had stone wheels....:D I know that he has photos and could connect you with others who do, also. I hesitate to give out others' email addys without asking them first....nothing against you :), but if you post what you're looking for at http://thevintageracer.com , Denny will get with you.

BTW, Cloverleaf raced into the 1990 season. Along with their regular racing program, the last promoter ran motorcycle demolition derbys, pickup truck derbies, the roughest 1 on 1 street drags that I've ever seen plus had put in a pond for boat demos! An accident where a racer had a heart attack racing ,drove into that pond and died pretty much sealed the fate of Cloverleaf. I never raced there but ran it's sister track, Painesville Speedway through the '96 season.

Jan

12. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

I participated in a few of the "Parking Lot Drags" as they were called. My 74 Impala 4 dr. took a beating! I knew the Flagman Ray Dorko and a few other people. I crewed on a spectator stock car #63 driven by Ernie Geyer. We had tons of fun!:D

13. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

14. denracer

denracer

I have a lot of different Cloverleaf photos, but not as many as I'd like to have. The early photos are pretty hard to come by. I was a partner in a "hardtop division" car in the 60s and early 70s and a Late Model up to 1975 when we got out as the tire bills were killing us.

15. denracer

denracer

Cloverleaf Speedway is having a reunion on July 18, 2008 at Good Olde Daze, 6001 State Road in Parma, OH. Hours from 5 PM to 10 PM. Lots of old drivers, crew and fans expected. Last year, many brought old photos, scrap books and memorbilia to look at and a couple of race cars were one display. This year Bob Fatica is bringing an original 1957 Chevy Sedan, the #27 "Rampage" car owned and driven by John Tauring, and also driven by Jim Moore and Ron Kingsmill at Cloverleaf and Painesville.

16. Bill Harkins

Bill Harkins
    from Cleveland

Hello Everybody.

I'm not 100% soild on this but I think I'm about 99% sure of what I'm about to post.

I just have not been able to confirm that I did not miss something.

I believe I won the last ever race at the leaf. It was a street stock pursuit race. I was fast qualifiyer that day and came thru the field to win the race. I also believe I held the last street stock track record. I do not remember the exact time. I just plainly remember Frank Oriti came by and laughed at me because I showed up with my full size bent in half 77 Monte Carlo figure 8 car from Painesville Speedway and Frank Laughed at me and asked me what I was going to do with that thing here( AT THE LEAF) lol,
    The last day was overcast and it had rained off and on for a few mins here and there. As soon as our race ended it downpoured.And they called the races off for remainder of the night.
    I have pics of the win and as I was coming thru the field to win the race and I have a scoreboard shot showing my car number and laps completed. I'm pretty positive that this info is correct because my girlfriend made sure to get the pics of the scoreboard because it was cancelled and everyone knew it was the last day of racing at the track.

Now if someone knows different please let me know because I'm not saying i'm solid on this there is room to correct me. I just know this. That place sure did at times pack some serious car counts in and it provided some awesome racing and everytime I travel to the valley those gates just rush back the memories and not one of them are bad.
    I'm not sure how many people know to this date that the gates are from the track and the mound in front is all thats left of the place. Anyway it great to see some do still care and talk about the place.

17. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Went there a couple of times with my Uncle back in the early to mid 60's. They lived in Cleveland and my Mom and Dad would go there in the Summers for visits. All I remember is that I used to look forward to it every time we went. One of my first real introductions to cars.

48 Poncho

18. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw

I probably cannot help too much with pics, since most of mine are 80s vintage. I do have an old black-and-white handout of Tony DeLillo in the Camaro that he got burned in. I also have a shot of Rusty Adams in a 64 Impala, but I believe it is from Sandusky.
    Hey if anyone knows of another Cloverleaf reunion, post here or email me at [email protected]. Also if anyone knows how to get in touch with Stosh or Wiener I'd appreciate it.

19. denracer

denracer

Cloverleaf Reunion 2009 is set for July 17, 2009 at Goode Old Daze, 6001 State Road in Parma, OH 5-11 PM with free hot dogs, pizza and soft drinks outside and adult beverages inside.
    I have a pretty good collection of Cloverleaf pictures from the 60s and 70s. We raced in the hardtop division, the pony car division and late models from 1964 to 1975.
    Cloverlear Hall of Fame inductees for 2009:
    Ron Fike, Jeep Iacobucci, Bob Terlop, Tony Gullatta, Bill Forney, Bernie Booth, George Eisenhart, Tim Fontana and Lou Bacci. Terlop and Bacci are deceased. Come on out for a good time if you are in the neighborhood.

Denny

20. Doowop1123

Doowop1123

That photo is John Moore, Jims # was 63

21. Doowop1123

Doowop1123

I have a bunch of photos from cloverleaf

22. swept57

swept57
    from Akron, OH

23. j. cartwright

j. cartwright

my grandfather leroy cartwright and his brothers kenny, and bob ran at cloverleaf in the mid 60s and 70s his first car was purchased from jim moore it was a 53 ford crown vic, ole number 8 as he called it. th3e moore brothers drove kennys car, i have a few win pics of his 8 car and a few of his number 22 car it was a 53 chevy. both were ran in the hardtop class. we race street stock dirt cars here in south carolina and love to here him talk about all the racing memories he had at cloverleaf, barberton, lorain, and painsville.

24. W. Harris

W. Harris
    from 44124

Hi, I don't know if you are a former owner of Cloverleaf or just sell all motorsport stuff. I am looking for Brian Burkett who is a good friend of mine in college. He is married to Anne Burkett. Anne Burkett's parents owned Cloverleaf. Any info on contacting either Brian or Anne would be appreciated. Just Mention: P.I.A to validate my story. Thanks!
    Kind regards,
    W. Harris

25. Wow lots of one post entries here.

I grew up near cloverleaf and when the wind was right it sounded like the races were just around the corner. Great summer lullabies for any kid. Lol

26. I grew up in Maple Hts. I worked night crew at Fazio's at the "gate" (Southgate). During the summers of '73 and '74 I would go to the "Leaf" on Sundays before going to work at midnight. I would wait until intermission because it was free admission after intermission then do to work right from the track. I would see a feature, semi-feature, and consolation for at least 3 divisions plus the feature of a special event like USAC midgets!!!!

Check out the credits at the end of these for possible leads.
    Cloverleaf Speedway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5K758CybK8

CLOVERLEAF SPEEDWAY PART1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8PJwBrumtQ

CLOVERLEAF SPEEDWAY PART2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2IIGH-1uBk

Cloverleaf Speedway & Dragway 42. 1972 Alessandro 5thV
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCs1Ezaagbo