Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this? Cause I own it now....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustahaulic, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Spyed this cool ole jewel of a longroof a few weeks back while driving to work on my Vicki...I left a note and the new owners of the property contacted me and told me it was close to ending up in the crusher:eek: ...I made a deal with them and it's mine,:D they unfortunatly knew nothing about the car other then it came with the property they had purchased to farm, estate auction I guess...no paperwork, but it was too nice to see crushed...I also picked up a 68 caprice wagon with a 327,300 hp/400 turbo (I'm keepin the motor trans and sending the rest across the scales), and a 79 chevy truck for more crusher munchies...

The car seems to have been driven in and parcked...All there 6 cly(turns by hand) 3 spd, all the interior, trim ect...All the windows were knocked out and the roof and hood caved in from kids jumping on them...(lil bastards)....has 2 seats up front, small bench in the rear and a small cargo behind that, but with a sedan delivery rear door...

What is this thing...I've never seen one before..I can't wait to get it home and get it runnin...I'm just gonna leave the way it is and drive it for groceries...Hope to have it home by the weekend..

Here's some pics, if anyone has knowledge of this ole girl please lemme know...

[​IMG]

here's a few more....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/oleskoolrodz/DSCN0643.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/oleskoolrodz/DSCN0644.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/oleskoolrodz/DSCN0648.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/oleskoolrodz/DSCN0651.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/oleskoolrodz/DSCN0647.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/oleskoolrodz/DSCN0649.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/oleskoolrodz/DSCN0650.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/oleskoolrodz/DSCN0653.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/oleskoolrodz/DSCN0646.jpg

2. thats a 51 chevy, probably an ambulance model, and the engine is a 216 babbit pounder

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

id say a 51 sedan delivery with some windows added

Attached Files:

4. john56h

john56h

5. lolife

lolife

Probably carried a lot of dead people to the cemetary, until one day a tree fell on it :)

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

68 wagons are bad ass. I prolly wouldnt crush that.

7. studhud

studhud

Funeral coach??? does it have upholstery in the back??? LTR Dave

8. The windows are factory looking with sills and all....I'd of thought ambulance or hearse to, but it's really short...and it has factory front and rear seats(don't fold down) and it's only got 3 foot of space between the rear seat and the door..musta been for some short dead people...I wouldn't be near as bummed if a tree had fell on it...it was kids jumping on it, complete with tennis shoe tread marks still(I watch CSI)...lil fuckers!!!

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Pontiac had a similar model called a Combination, a sedan delivery with windows. Often used as a Morgue pickup vehicle or ambulance in small towns where budgets were tight. Yours is only the 2nd or 3rd Chevy I've seen.
    It's a goodie! Any sedan delivery is a goodie, and one you can put seats in and see out of too, WOW!

10. Well since it has factory rear seats in it still I doubt it was a morgue car unless they sat them up-right in the back seat, lol..
    I hope it is a combination type...I hope to make it my tow car to go runs and such in...maybe I'll get some snazzy curtains..and then maybe I'll get lucky in the back...HA!

11. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

what year did chebby first make the suburban ?
    i thought there was one similar to this in rod& custom not too long ago...called the urban suburban. or, maybe that was just a generic name for it.
    whatever you have there, it's pretty damm cool.

12. ray

ray
    from colorado

when i was about 12, there was this shitty rusty 54 chevy rotting away at an old gas station near where i lived, me and the neighborhood kids used it as a sledding hill when it snowed, climb up on the roof and sled down a snow drift. doncha know it, when i was 14 and ready for my first car, that was it! wasn't caved in, but full of those difficult to work creases in the sheetmetal. at the time i had no idea how to work them out, now it'd be no problem.

fuckin kids!

13. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I think its a 49,the quarter pannels are more teardrop than the 51,52
    if its a 51 52 the tail lights will be up on the quarters,If its a 49 the lights are off the quarters towards the trunk deck.Its not a 50 by the grillwork. Nice find..

14. The color might indicate to me that it was a fire chief's vehicle...
    Is there any lettering on the doors?

JOE:cool:

15. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

It's a '51 for sure. The '51 sedan del'y used the '49/'50 rear quarters and tail lights. Yeah, I'd say it was a "combo" made for Fire Chiefs or sumthin' like that. Kinda a '51 Nomad, huh? Damn nice find. Like to have one myself. Build it and enjoy.....Ole Pork

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Cool ride. I had a '50 sedan delivery back in '65. Fun Car.

17. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

""what year did chebby first make the suburban ?""

Not sure of 1st year but know for sure they were around as early as 38

18. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

That's sweet. There were a lot of custom coach builders doing body conversions back then. They'd take station wagons, deliveries, Suburbans, etc. and convert them to whatever.
    Very cool 2-door station wagon. Thank God you're saving it!

First year for the Chevy Suburban, by the way, was '34, '35 or '36. There was a discussion on this over on the Stovebolt site. It's the oldest name plate in the country. They were all based on trucks, not cars or Deliveries.

-Brad

19. Da Injun

Da Injun

Yeah, no shit. Don't crush that 68 wagon.

20. spooler41

spooler41

First chev suburbans were in 35.

21. Thanks for the info ya'll....Fire Chiefs car...that'd be cool..come to think of it, it does have an antenna mount on the rear...I'll look to see if it has had a radio mounted in it to...Last time it had active tags were 1984...thier still on the car...
    I'll get some more pics of it when I get it out of the barn and cleaned out, with some air in the tires...Part of the deal with the ole guy is haulin the others off for him so he doesn't have to AND before I take the 51 away...
    So the caprice wagon was also in the same barn...solid but more trampled then the 51 was...I was considering saving pieces of it, grille and tilt wheel, some other stuff but the fenders are creased bad and there is nothin else I could see needing then the motor/trans combo...it has a 300hp 327 with a damn AFB/carter 4 barrel, w/ air complete never touched...dunno if it'll runs but I'm gonna save it..I may also save the reverse folding jumpseat in the rear of this 9 passenger wagon..But I don't have space or desire to store it...so by the pound it'll bring about 200 bones as well as bout 250 for the truck...

Don't hate me for the scrapper, I'm already gonna be in trouble for draggin the 51 home...
    "Hey honey...look what followed me home:D "...Yeah right!!!

22. you were doing a big favor in saving this stuff
    ..... but you should still not crush anthing..
    think big picture.. you will regrett this action later... trust me
    you'll remember the crushed ones more than the rest..
    somebody will save your leftovers
    try to sell it here or locally please
    scrapping is fo aluminum cans and plastic bottles

i have a 50 sedan del and wondered what a couple of windows would be like not in the hippie porthole way just like yours

maybe fill the rearmost window and thats it

paperdog

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

well if you guys don't want it crushed, go get it...

24. Nice find! Good luck with it.

25. I concure totally, Firstly this thread wasn't about the POS 68 caprice, (it was about a wounded survivor 51 Sedan Delivery)...you come get it(I'm talkin bout the **68** and give me crusher $$ for it and it's yours..)**minus motor trans and tilt column of course**...But I'm gettin it outta the barn this weekend (we are talking about the 68 Caprice 9 pass wood-grain wagon family truckster here ONLY!!!) and I will have the motor trans out that night and it WILL go to the yard Monday before 5 pm...I am not crush happy, but the reason for doin what I did was to save the 51.. I don't have the space, time or desire to keep it around to have city codes up my arss, I don't like to deal with them....EVER!
    I try not to stir up that shitpot of a$$holes, I'm already on thier radar...I don't want any yellow/red tags on my door...those are expensive....
    So hate me if you must but the 68's days are numbered unless it's adopted....I will have it euthenized Monday...
    ** READ THIS**
    I WILL NOT!!!
    Take Pics of it!!!
    Hold it past Monday...
    Pull parts off of it...
    Tow it anywhere except the crusher..

26. i see you have a plan ...... great!!!!!!

i had the same deal 25years ago had to take all (5 vehicles)to get a 55 poncho 2 door wagon (sold10 years later for a grand)
    sold off the rest of the metal drove the 66 ford pu for a while ..blowed it up and used the boat trailer after selling the boat and 75 horse merc outboard

later realized most people would have charged the property owner plenty for the " clean up"

i am still happy you are gettin the "cheif's" car andV8 engine...

think you must keep it red but needs flames from the roof down towards the rockers. :)
    my sedan del is red too with cal bumpers
    paperdog

27. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Well said!

28. martell06

martell06

the two back windows look like the new hhr.

29. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Didn't chevy do something called a "tradesman" in those years? I'm thinking I've seen one of these before