Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buying a small tig welder soon? you might want to wait...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carguy365-24-7, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

A large welder manufacturer is coming out with a new tig welder designed for the home hobbist. I was part of a study group and swarn to secrecy so I can't divulge which co., but this welder looks very promising. It has most of the features of a large welder but should retail for about a grand. It's due to be out by the end of the year.I just thought I'd let my fellow H.A.M.B.ers know.

2. Roupe

Roupe

You live in Appleton, I think that probably gives it away. Big blue always makes good stuff.

3. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

I don't know what you are talking about......wink wink..

4. hotrodbrad

hotrodbrad

can you tell us if its 220 plug? how many amps you can run? suggested retail value?

5. What he said!

6. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

and how long would you say that the home hobbiest would have to wait.?

7. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

can it run aluminum?

8. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

A grand? That's a bit out of reach for most of us...myself included, and I like to get myself in debt...but not for someting like that.

TIGs aren't "new" technology. 15+ years now I have been hearing/seeing their work. I've been patiently waiting for the prices to come back to reality for the 'everyday Joe'.

If it's geared toward the "novice", why can't they come out with one in the $400-500 range? Am I missing something? Why are TIG welders still so expensive? Seems to me they use less moving parts than MIG welders!

I have used both a MIG and a TIG...each has their benefits/downfalls...someone please explain my naivety with regards to manufacturing costs...I don't see why these things are still so much more expensive than MIG welders.

I would think that if a name brand welding manufacturer came out with a TIG at the same price of a MIG they would sell very well...maybe they don't want to compete with their own products????

Hell, for the cost of one Tig, if I could have BOTH a decent MIG and a TIG? It would be a no brainer.

I think a lot of guys would like to know this...anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :)

9. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

Guess the Chinese Part content!!!!

10. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

hey kevin there are some tig machines out there for 5-600, but they only run mild steel and are mostly junk, my boss was explaining a way that you can put an inverter on a stick welder and make it tig

11. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I would GLADLY pay $1000 for a TIG if I KNEW it was 100% American made...VS. a "Gerber Freight" variety for $600.

But I seriously doubt most of them are 100% American.

That said, I'm assuming these are made at least partially offshore (I know Miller still is manufacturing in the US). So why is a Miller TIG so much more than a Miller MIG?

What I was looking for is, what is it that makes a TIG so much more expensive from a MIG...?

12. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

maybe the retail cost of the parts involved in building a tig machine are higher, and maybe more labor intensive putting it all together...who knows

13. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I have yet to come across a TIG welder for less than a grand. New. Maybe I don't know any better...I haven't really looked into them for over 3 years now... BUT!

If it's so easy to make a TIG, (not to knock you or your boss), then why are companies charging so much for them? You see where I am going with this? TIGs are overpriced...why?

14. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

i probably should have finished about the inverter thing, the inverter will only allow you to run mild steel and no aluminum....maybe that is why tigs are sooo much more because you have so many more options....pulse on pulse, rapid start, AC/DC, etc......as opposed to mig where you have wire feed and amperage.....alot more technology equals a lot higher cost...just a thought

15. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Who knows. I agree...(and..Who cares!) Well, I do, damnit. This is old-school tech now- that has been non-affordable to many of us for years...for what reason?

[QUOTE punkabilly1306] the inverter will only allow you to run mild steel and no aluminum....maybe that is why TIGs are sooo much more because you have so many more options....pulse on pulse, rapid start, AC/DC, etc......

16. ray

ray
    from colorado

man, this post just goes to prove HAMBers will bitch about anything.

a sub $1000 tig? if i can build a car with it, i'll be one of the first to buy one.

17. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

yea. no shit.

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

A lot longer than that...

http://www.welding.com/history_of_welding2.shtml

And according to that site, the MIG has been around for a long time as well.

I used to weld a lot with an old Linde heliarc.
    I loved how it welded. a very nice machine.

My big old Miller Tig cost me a lot more than $500/$600.
    But I'll probably spend about that much on a Henrob setup.
    ( That what I want to buy next...)

19. ray

ray
    from colorado

can a guy ever have enough welders?

i have a 110 mig, tombstone arc welder, regular gas torch/welder, and a henrob. they all get used. tig is next, but i know i'll still use them all.

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

Nope...:D

21. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

guys really 1. you dont need a NEW machine so and older lincoln 250 can be picked up at auction REGULARLY for 3-600 depending on the set up that comes with it (water cooled, thumb control and soo on. ) ever since new square wave technology came out welding shops are steping up to them becuase of the "cleaning" abilities . but IN MY OPINON it isnt all THAT great.. yeah its nice but you dont really notice till your high end PRETTY welding aluminum ..(ie Tuna towers made out of polished and anodized aluminum without grinding first....) dont be afraid of red.. yeah big blue is NICE but for a home shop I could justify the cost over a used lincoln.

22. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i've had awesome luck with both Miller MIGs that i have owned. much more so than the Lincolns i have used. if Miller made a TIG for about a grand i would very seriously consider buying it.

23. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

25. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

I figured there would be alot of response to this post , Like I said I was part of a study group ( put on by a local product research company in Appleton) . I was in a group of 10 guys from various walks of life each with different needs and expiriences . We each owned a wire feed and were at least thinking of buying a tig welder .
    They showed us a prototype of the unit and a rep from the unmentioned welder company gave us a presentation .
    We all wished that they could have demonstrated the unit but we were in an office type enviroment.
    Now to answer some questions ...
    The unit is a 230 volt unit with I believe around 160 amps ( not sure) and can weld up to 3/8 thick material. It can weld Aluminum and steel. They wanted to simplify the controls so there is one knob to adjust the amperage in steps according to the thickness of the metal and one two position switch for steel or Aluminum. You choose the "range " with the multiposition switch and then control your amperage within that range by dialing the dial on the torch. It has a "start" switch next to the amp dial. The only thing this welder doesn't have is stick welding capabilities.
    They claim this welder welds better than there next size up model because of some " new design " They showed us an optional foot control as well .
    As far as cost , they asked us to write down what we thought a fair retail price would be . I wrote $1200 as did many in the room . A few guys said $800 and others said more. They showed us the cost of the next model up so we had something to go by.
    Yes, they are expensive . Would I buy one ? Yes ,if I had the money. No ,If I have to save up for a year to get one ( I want way too many tools first)..... PAUL

And SHHHH you didn't hear all this from me.....

26. Slide

Slide

You had me a bit worried there... I just bought a new Syncro200. Sounds like this new one is a little too dumbed-down for what I wanted, so I sigh a sigh of relief.

Sounds like a good deal, though... if they don't rape you over the addition of a foot (or fingertip) control. If it can be reasonably easily upgraded (aforementioned foot/fingertip control, watercooled torch, etc.) with standard-type conections, that would make the deal that much sweeter.

27. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Me too, my 200sync seemed a little intimidating at first, but now after only a few months I appreciate the versatility and control that you have with it, I made the mistake of buying a too limited plasma cutter once and learned my lesson.

TIG is so versatile, once you get used to it you are hooked, almost no smoke or sparks and beautiful welds too. Havent seen this one obviously but I too would caution against buying a dumbed down unit, surely wouldnt hold off for this one to become available when its an unknown commodity right now.

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

Going by what I payed for the replacement parts I had to buy when I fucked up the Torch on my TIG, I wonder what usefull stuff they left out of this one to get it down to that price...

29. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I wouldn't hold my breath. Considering what a decent machine runs, I doubt you'll get much for under a grand. The small Syncrowave machines are adequate for hobby use, but they cost way more than that. And those don't even have a water cooled torch, which is pretty much a necessity if you plan on doing aluminum. I tend to believe if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

30. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

in no way was i bitching about the cost i just simply stated the reasoning behind the cost and how you can make a tig welder at home using an arc welder