Register now to get rid of these ads!

100 MPH + in old steel, who's done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CLSSY56, Mar 22, 2007.

1. <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yC8OmisBikg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yC8OmisBikg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

130 in this is pretty stable.

Sam.
    [​IMG]

2. 8flat

8flat

Don't want to hijack the thread....but gotta ask. Did you adapt a T56 to your flathead? I've always thought that would be pretty slick....

3. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

had the 61 caddy over 100 couple times and it was bagged with no shocks.

4. michiganman061

michiganman061
    from Michigan

I've done 117 in my stock 61 Studebaker Cruiser, 259 V8, 3.31 rear axle ratio. Since the steering & suspension is worn kinda scary though. Kent

5. 3x2rocket

3x2rocket

El Mirage, ca. 132mph in a 55 oldsmobile with a stock motor (except for the Offy 3x2 intake with rochester carbs from a j2) this engine was unrebuilt! On bias plies with a worn idler arm! Temperature gauge barely past the halfway mark, felt like I could've pushed it further but I feared dry bearings. Wasn't really that scary probably because the dry lake bed is so perfectly flat, 80 on Los Angeles crappy freeways was far scarier so I bought some radial wide whites and a new idler arm. Now I'm building it and I have an Isky roller cam and bigger 56' heads so I guess another run will be in order when I drop the Rocket back in!

6. Larry T

Larry T

No speedo in the International but 95+ in the 1/8th and I've run it a lot further than that so I think so. Kinda got invited not to bring it back until it had a cage in it.
    120 at Green Valley in the Anglia, square tube roll bar. Younger and dumber back then.

Attached Files:

7. norton

norton

103mph in my 56' ford on paramount between del amo and carson. fun! fun! fun!
    Had the needle pinned at 120 mph in my 67' cuttlas on 405 frw engine backfiring and howling like it was 'bout to explode!
    I regularly drive my cars as fast as they can and treat every stop sign and trafic light like a drag strip. I'll race anybody, anytime, anywhere in any vehicle regardless of how much I know I'm going to lose or if the car next to me even knows we're racing!

8. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I'd say yes, but I don't have a speedometer or a tach hahaha.

9. DragUns35

DragUns35

Me and tetnus hit arount 110 two weeks ago heading to back to the beach... his model A and my 35...

i have trophied a couple times at renagade raceway in yakima WA... running in the 14s at 100 flat...

pa's roadster Ute runs in the 12s...

lots of fun... great thread!

10. Oldschoolhotrods

Oldschoolhotrods
    from san diego

gone 100 in 1/8 mile, 100 isn't very fast if your taking any longer than that to do it....

11. About 120 on 101 in the Central Coast of California with my fifty Buick.

12. tylerb

tylerb

i had my galaxie up to about 110 that was plenty for me and with 3.00 rear it might have a little more left in it but im not about to find out i just like getting to 75-80 quick

13. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

I dont have a speedo. I know when my car is going fast the wind howls around the windshield. When it goes very fast the windshield shakes, and when it goes to fast the front end starts to bounce.

I like fast...but not to fast.

The key is to get to FAST before everyone else.

14. tylerb

tylerb

my buddy got pulled over in a ford probe doing 140.....he cant drive until he is 21 now haha and this happened when he was 17

15. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

When I Was 17 I Had A 60 Belair. Stock Original 235 Straight 6 Never Been Rebuilt. The Gas Got Stuck Wide Open On I-20 Going Toward Ft Worth. The Engine Finally Blew When The Speedo Topped Out About 120-125. It Was A Crazy Ride. I Guess I Could Have Put It In Nuetral But Hey I Was 17.

162 In A Blown Big Block 65 Chevelle. That Was One Fun Day.

16. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

120+ outrunning a camaro

Twin turbo SBC in a 50 Chevy

17. Danog

Danog

When some one says real hot rods don't have fenders. I know why my old 35 Dodge at 125 was one scary frick'n ride. Them big ass fenders would catch everything.

18. Not MY car... but my buddy's brother's Deuce at 133 on the interstate.:eek:

19. tripleduece

tripleduece
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

110 in my 53 w/ the flatty till my old lady started flipping out. lol
    I have to say in the back of my mind I'm pretty glad she did cause that old thing was floating everywhere but straight! lol

20. HoldFast

HoldFast

ahhhh....speed. If i own it I pin it.

got my 53 caddy on stock suspension/stock motor...etc...up around 115. It's fun as hell floating all over the damn place trying to hold on to that big wheel and keep er' in the lines.

had my daily up to 145...she's governed there....for now.

can't wait to build something that'll do it and scare me. That comes when the caddy is done.

I envy you guys out there with real hot rods with real motors. Putting em' on the track. Hell yeah. How it should be. 200mph patches. 9 second quarter passes.

21. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

got pulled over doing 110 in a 25 in myold 36 it was running a boss 429 motor. I have done 125 in my 53 chevy im running a 427 big block backed by a muncie 4-speed.

22. Thresher

Thresher
    from Austin, TX

I would be scared to death at 100 mph. At 90 the thing feels a lil' like the space shuttle would feel at take off! Not gonna do it! :)

23. jangleguy

jangleguy

My Morris always goes 127 at the track (ETs between 10.32 - 10.50). So when it's finally my turn to drive the Nash at B'ville, I'm thinking, okay - today's the day I finally go over 127. Approaching the traps, a radiator hose blows off and sprays the windshield with liquid skung, blinding me, so I lift. Timing slip reads: 127.547!!! Laughed my ass off...

Then I got the driving gig with the 7-11 ('34) coupe. First full run is a multi-shutoff guardrail dodger (even lost the steering at the end), but it went 136MPH. Hasn't run that fast since, as we've been chasing gremlins around...Mike (the owner) is talking about bringing it to the '07 HAMB drags, if we ever get it running right again.

And this summer, I'm taking the Morris to B-ville in search of big numbers (see "Help support the Bonneville dream" thread) - it's gonna be a riot! Meanwhile, testing continues, at my secret proving grounds...

24. GlenC

GlenC

Back in 83 I bought my wife a 1970, 2.5PI Triumph sedan as our second car. We had three babies, 31/2, 2, and newborn and she needed a car with a wide back seat for 3 baby seats. Now the PI Triumph shares the same sporty, fuel injected engine as the TR6, a pretty potent engine for that era and a 6 in line.

She took our babies to visit her mum, a 20 minute drive down the expressway, which is 100klm (70mph) speed limit, and made it in record time. When I asked her how fast she'd driven she innocently replied..

"I never went over 110 all the way."

I had to remind her she was driving a 1970 model car, which came with a MILES PER HOUR speedo in it!

I also drove that car with the speedo needle right off the dial one day, the speedo went to 125mph, and was accurate.

Cheers, Glen.

25. shock

shock

Ok so last fall I had the 63 1/2 Falcon over 100mph north towards Detroit from the Ididit Show.
    Perfectly sober of course with SRV blasting and freinds all around.

26. just thinking about the time I drove down to Sacremento to pick up my mom, I got a flu bug and she voluteered to drive back. I had taken the back seat out of my 2 wheel drive 75 blazer (Red with flames) the truck will roll 130 all day long but that's a different story. I was laid out in back with a pillow and blanket. I woke up once and she asked how long would the truck run on empty. I sat up and told her to pull over at the next off ramp. she was rolling over 105 mph when she hit the ramp. I told her she was ready for a ticket at that speed. her reply was "that might be fun I've never had one before!" she was 77 at the time, she's 89 now and her License is still good for another 3 years. I took her car away!

27. First century shot was riding shotgun in another kid's 2nd gen camaro in high school. No drama; kinda boring.

Went 100 plus in some late model stuff. No drama; kinda boring.

First time I drove 100+ was in a Pinto wagon (2.8L 6 cyl); off topic car... but kinda floaty.

Fastest in an old car - low 90's in Lulubelle the '54 dodge pickup (383 8V/727/4.10,s) on I-5 south thru Mountlake Terrace. Backed out due to traffic. No drama; kinda boring - except it sounded cool, and didn't take a hell of a long time to get going.

Gonna' slap together another 383 (brought home another grenade today) and I'll take a f****in picture this summer.

Been a while since a guy could do that thru Seattle unless it's between about midnight and 4:00 AM.

-bill

28. borntoolate

borntoolate

I know my 66 Fairlane falls out of the HAMB range, but when I was younger and more stupider than I am now, I had it up in 130 range a couple of times. (390/4sp./2.79 gear). I remember the corners of the hood would bow up about 3/8" around 100 m.p.h. It needed an airport runway to shut it down with those 4 wheel drums. She's got power disc now.

29. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

Hell yeah, when i was younger i always went as fast as i could on a open road in my 59 holden, i had a 2.78 diff centre in it with a 3 speed, at the drags it was slow of the line and did 80 mph / 130 kph in second gear and that was just starting to pull when i went through the traps, i was once seperated from a long distance run and headed 80 miles in the wrong direction in the middle of no were heading for central australia, when i came across a couple of country blokes in singlets leaning on a landcruiser and found out i was heading in the wrong direction i knew catching up would be hard, the road was a long straight flat one, i had it wound all the way for about ten minutes, i used the whole road , when i got back to the rite road i wound her up again, i saw a blur ahead in the distance and backed of a little incase it was highway patrol, i must have dropped to about 90-100 mph then crept up, eventually i cought up and it was a 57 chevy with a scoop out the bonnet (hood), i jumped on the brakes to steady it up and pass then let her wind out again as the chevy disapeared in the mirror, eventually i got to the town we were staying and unpacked at the accomodation, then i went to look at a small car show across the road and i see the 57 chevy and told the owner i passed a 57 just like that in my FC holden on the way down he replied with "wtf is under your bonnet"
    but then there was this one time on the freeway between newcastle and sydney, about 4am and i wound it out with the 2.78 diff, the freeway is 3 lanes wide and usually has no traffic at that time of the morning but was going too fast and 3 cars were side by side, i had no room to pass and couldnt slow down quick enough, i swerved into the service lane and just missed a honda crv 4wd, swerved back onto the road and jumped back on the gas, those guys in the 3 cars must have thought they were dreaming when the old station wagon squeeze passed and vanished ahead.
    i did some pretty nuts stuff and lived, the car was low and fairly stable but was all over the road at high speeds, the front end ( a updated one from a 67 model) and suspension were not made with that shit in mind.

30. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

I was written a speeding ticket for 110+ in my built 55 chev on a CA desert highway after dark. He wouldn't have caught me if there wasn't a small town where I slowed down.
    I lost my license for one year.