Register now to get rid of these ads!

my lincoln retrieval.(lots of pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lincolnlog, Mar 28, 2007.

1. 55caddad

55caddad

Just my 2 cents, but wash it, wax it, and drive it. It looks awesome even standing still. Great Find!

2. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I should ad that it was very easy to modify mine because it was in sad shape cosmetically when I bought it- Not a sweet stocker like yours.
    I would go with your current plan- clean up, slight lowering, maybe some exhaust, and enjoy....

jay

3. brainfrz

brainfrz

Cool! I agree with the HAMB mass on this one. Lower slightly, wash and wax up the paint, and drive. I like the smoothing touch that Rikster gave it also.
    What a great find.
    Jon

4. slammed

slammed

The grill and headlight's look custom all ready. I thought (or envisioned) a ravine car as well. such a nice, well preserved beauty. Well done, sir.

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

PLEASE don't mess with it-that car can't be improved. That temperature switch you need is identical to the ones on Ford/Merc. Readily availabel from Flathead suppliers.c

PLEASE don't

6. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

That car is a gem ... I say drop it a few inches and drive it.

I'd even keep the stock hubcaps. They're 15s, aren't they? Let me know if you don't want 'em ... :D

7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

chop and lower mmmmmmm

Attached Files:

8. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

very pretty Cosmo! i've got a 4dr. Lincoln, not the Cosmo but the other style, "baby Lincoln", the one with the merc body, and lincoln front fenders.

Are you running the stock 337 flathead? Just yanked mine out to swap a Caddy in, but the 337 i had ran super cool for the 8 years i ran it!

Good lookin' paint still too!

9. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Jive bomber:"they are big cars (luckily yours is the slightly shorter wb Merc-ish body) but they cruise oh so nice." I might be wrong but thats a Cosmo as well and not a 9EL "Baby Lincoln" , note the lack of fender fade at the door , its all smooth like the Cosmos.

10. Somebody around here needs to be an adult and have an adult type car for grownup things like funerals, weddings, Eisenhower's tour of your city, Sukarno's visit etc.

What if the Pope calls you for a ride?

11. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

Well actually, I think this is the longest one. the cosmos were about 4" longer than the lincoln sport sedans. I also Love the Trim on the earlier cars that is just over the front fenders for 49' and on front and rear on the 50's.

yeah, he lived on tingley st. off of Alehmeny. I don't think he drove it much or went to too many shows, it was just a car that he bought way back when that he held on to. He did have it resprayed, rechromed, and he had the motor and trans rebuilt, but he said he just cruised to the beach in it a few times a year.

well, yeah kinda. I am definately not getting rid of any of the skirts or hubcaps, sorry. here's some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cosmo50 likes this.
  12. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

sweet ride! Love those headlights. Though, I gotta say, find some nice custom caps to really set it off. The car is much to elegant to run without caps IMHO

13. petebert

petebert

the only place i found online selling hubcaps of that quality for my 52 lincoln was selling them for $150 each, so I'd either keep them or lock them away.

14. I think I would lower it,and drive it. Don't modify it or fuck it up. It's too nice to mess with. You can always raise it back up,without modifications. IMO!

15. sololobo

sololobo

That is the most beautiful stocker on the planet. I think that baby is just right. It sits pretty damn low right now especially with those hot skirts on it. The original everything is just right, a true factory custom car. I would give $10.00 bucks just to smell the inside. Congrats on finding and saving a fab. classic, ENJOY!!- Sololobo

16. bohlsd

bohlsd

Very nice, I like those because they are something a little different from all the Mercs you normally see.

17. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Me likey alot!!!!!!!!!!

18. moefuzz

moefuzz

Wanted: Coolant temp sensor for left bank 337 flat-head (5.5L)

Aren't those the same as any Ford/Merc Flathead V8 from that year??

I'ld check with macs antique auto as they would probably have them in stock... You will want to get one from a same year Ford/Merc...

http://www.macsautoparts.com/index.html

BTW, their online catalgues is very incomplete so you'll need to phone.. Their Free paperbound Catalogues are one of the best guide books out there for parts... And they are Free.<!-- / sig -->

19. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

thanks, I should probably delete that now, as I found one at my local franchise of So-Cal. Then after I installed two new senders, I found the root of the gauge problem. The PO had the senders grounded to the firewall, thus giving it a constant ground signal, and making the gauge read constant cold.

20. Mootz

Mootz

If I ask nicely, will you put the caps and skirts back on?:D

Mootz

21. lexistars

lexistars
    from Fontana

Wow that is a beauty ... I would lower it a tab but it is a sight just like how she be

22. StrickV8

StrickV8

wish my '50 Cosmo looked that good. glad to see another one. don't have a trunk latch but do have a few genuine accessory items. pm me if you're interested.

23. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Sunday drives? I don't doubt that , that is a sweet ride.

24. ARCHANGEL

ARCHANGEL

yeah, he lived on tingley st. off of Alehmeny. I don't think he drove it much or went to too many shows, it was just a car that he bought way back when that he held on to. He did have it resprayed, rechromed, and he had the motor and trans rebuilt, but he said he just cruised to the beach in it a few times a year.

HOLY SHIT THIS GUY LIVES IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD, :eek: AND I PROBLY PICKED UP HIS GARBAGE HUNDREDS OF TIMES :p :p AND STILL NEVER SEEN THIS LINCOLN. NICK CONGRATS AGAIN . :D

RAFA.

25. what year is it? i don't recognize the tailights as a 49-51.

26. I lowered my 48 Linc Conti. over 2" with just tires. It's a quick fix if you are happy with the ride & handling. Actually mine handled (cornered) better with just tires.

27. Just to update my post of a couple of days ago. No need to chop your's, it great the way Henry designed the top. My observation was & is one of my projects, is to chop my 48 about 4". Lucky me, mine is all flat glass.

28. StrickV8

StrickV8

It's a 1951.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

Update: 13 years later!

Held onto this one, still a nice original-ish car!

Lowered 3”, ‘49 lincoln hubcaps and very smoking room green and brown interior (to match the original green wool headliner).

Also rewired to 12v, brakes, carb, hydraulic windows R&R.

Attached Files:

40LUV, Cosmo50, VANDENPLAS and 7 others like this.
  30. Very nice! I like everything you did. Love the interior.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.