Register now to get rid of these ads!

FALCON and FAIRLANE Air bag suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Turbo442, Feb 8, 2007.

1. ray

ray
    from colorado

i notice a few things we did similar, like mounting the strut rod below the lower control arm and mounting the shock off the strut rod...i stopped short of boxing and trimming the lower control arm and trimming the frame as you did though.

now about those tires and wheels...

2. bsharer

bsharer
    from Texas

As far as I know, I dont think there is a kit directly for these cars. Everything was made. I did buy the laddar bar crossmember from quartermax, and the squre pipe with round tube ends on it from suicidedoors (probabbly should have made them, it took 3 weeks). Here's the rear two link bars and the upper bag mount.
    [​IMG]

What about the wheels?! Here it is on factory 13's.
    [​IMG]

3. shagg'n

shagg'n

BSHARER-nice job man,stance is very cool,excellent fab/design!My wagon stuff wouldn't do y'all much good I'm afraid.I used an S10 front clip,constructed full chassis with rear 4 link in my car.Used shock waves all around,not too much "falcon" stuff left under my car!!The pics Fstelvis posted are at ride height,car is channeled 4" as well.Great cars guys!

mcnally351 likes this.
  4. ray

ray
    from colorado

wow, they put 13's on fairlanes?

huge billet rollers are not exactly loved on this board. put on some chrome 15" steelies with pinner whites and spider caps, and you'd get a better response here. some 60's oddball 5 spokes would be cool too, like fentons or hollywood/foxcraft mags.

5. bsharer

bsharer
    from Texas

Yeah, it had 13's with 7.00 - 13 BFG Silvertowns.

Whew... at least my wheels arent billet. They are cast! Btw, what does a spider cap look like?

6. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

7. Cshabang

Cshabang

that failane looks so cool..I was gonna juice my 61 comet so it layed....i guees I'll just have to buy another one...or maybe just pull the race motor and bag the 65 comet haha....

8. Turbo442

Turbo442

Seen this one at the Goodguys Pleasanton show. Gave me some ideas. I liked the wheels and tire setup he had going on.

Attached Files:

9. lgh1157

lgh1157

That monoleaf rear set up looks scary as fuck man !!!!

i hope that didnt give you any ideas

L

10. Turbo442

Turbo442

I didn't mean ideas as ideas to copy. , but more on how to improve or not do. Do you like the stacked blocks? :eek: I know I didn't.
    I just posted this setup as a reference. The Shockwave style bags in the rear seemed ok

11. lgh1157

lgh1157

Yeah dude , that shit is crazy.

The car looks fuckin cool though

i like the idea of the shockwaves. They cost alot though.

12. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

13. lowriding 'lane

lowriding 'lane

I bagged my 64 fairlane, it wasn't too hard... you can order the bracket kit from air ride technologies for the 60-64 ford fullsize, and the top cup just bolts through the shock tower and to the bag, and the lower bracket bolts through the control arm. then just relocate the shocks. in the rear they just have the monoleaf setup or you can shell out some serious cash for a bolt in 4 link from air ride, but i'd just make your own 4 link or 2 link or whatever in the rear. I have 1/2" lines and valves, 10 gallons of air and an edc and i run it at about 200 psi daily, and it's held up fine for 2 years so far. here's a few pictures to give you an idea in the front
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Turbo442

Turbo442

I have been lagging on this.... do the front cups have to be cut at an angle at all? It doesn't look like there has to be much, if any angle cut but I just want to be sure. I have the springs out and the brake swap ready but then other priorites took over... so no time to work on it.

15. lowriding 'lane

lowriding 'lane

yeah sure you could cut the front cups at an angle if you wanted to i guess, mine are just flat and it works out fine, the bag is kind of slanted when the bag is at it's full extension (like in the pic) but when the bag is slammed it's flat, so i'd keep the cups flat.

16. Turbo442

Turbo442

Ok, nowthat I have done some research and had some time to dig into it here is what I have gotten done so far. The tops are actually the original cups for the coil springs that mount inside the shock tower and provide the mounting location for the shock & crossbar brace to firewall.
    I didn't take a picture but I used some all-thread thru the top of the bag thru to where the shock originally mounted so I could still use all the braces and keep the bag located. The top plate is welded to the factory cup (sandwiched between the oem coil cup and the airbag cup.
    It sits 4.5" at the rear of the front wheelwell rocker when aired out. I tried to have it so that if a bag blew or tire I wouldn't be dragging my chassis on the ground :eek: . This is my first air suspension and I can always go lower later but I prefer to drive my cars so they need to be safe.
    I still have to wire it all up and finish my brake swap but here it is as she sits now.

Attached Files:

17. eric

eric

Awesome!!! keep posting pics and proress dude. i've been thinking about bagging my '63 ranchero......

18. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Don't mean to Hijack this post, but have any of you ran Mono leaves with bags before? Seems like a good idea to just use the stock main leaf to keep the rearend centered and what not.. Or not..?

19. Turbo442

Turbo442

Do a search, it has been brought up many times. In my research there are people who have done it but it doesn't seem to be the best idea. There is the issue of control, wheel hop, etc then there is the issue of old springs breaking especially once you put more load on them than they were designed to handle.
    On my car, it had air shocks and aftermarket overload springs. I pulled the overloads off and the air shocks and that brought it down to where I can just put a lowering block in and it will be even with the front. I plan to use air-over-leaf for now and I am not scraping the ground so it should be safe.
    Later I may 4-link it.

20. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Yeah. I've always wondered if would be the easiest way to bag a car with leaf springs. A buddy and I put quarter ellipticals in the rear of his '50 GMC pickup with a panhard bar and upper link, so like a three link in theory. So building a four link would be a piece of cake. But I'm thinkin' more cheap and easy for a daily or something.

21. Turbo442

Turbo442

I forgot to add, you could probably have a spring made up that would allow for this but I am sure it wouldn't be cheap. Something like one of Posies mono springs or similar.

22. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Yeah I was thinking that too. Maybe just the main leaf and the next longest? Yeah it would weaken the spring, but the cars weight would be on the bags. Probably not the safest setup but the spring in theory would just be keeping the rearend in place.

23. Turbo442

Turbo442

General question here;
    Is it better to run the airlines under the car or thru the interior?
    I am thinking of running them near the brake lines which run near the trans tunnel. Look to be well protected there. I thought about near the rockers but there is too much of a chance that they could get pinched by a jack/etc. I have the plastic line, btw.

24. lgh1157

lgh1157

This is what im doing on my 64 Galaxie, i got the leafs de-arched and im still running blocks, im gonna take one leaf out to get a little lower

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gql9elV8abs

25. hambnbeans

hambnbeans
    BANNED
    from wyoming

You guys are building the cars for your wives and daughters, right?

haring likes this.
  26. My Falcon would drop bird shit on whatever your rolling.
    Take your whopping 48 post and go back to playing with your ham and beans.

27. haring

haring

Don't get upset LG -- his hot rod custom is a '73 F250.

His smartass attitude won't win him many friends here, and he'll be gone soon because he has nothing to offer.

28. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

oh boy don't piss the falcon guys off :eek:

keith

29. Turbo442

Turbo442

True. I am going out on a limb and going to say that by that token that his F250 was built for his brother/uncle, who are the same person, as well as his boyfriend, I am sure. I seen Brokeback Mountain, I know what's up.
    I read some of this guys post's and all I can say is wow. Here is the beginning of his intro; "I am a good ole Wyoming cowboy that don't know know shit..." Guess that sums it up, and with that get off my thread ass-hat or contribute something worthwile.

30. hambnbeans

hambnbeans
    BANNED
    from wyoming

Oh jesus, Its the little car syndrome. Sorry, I'll shut up now. And if you guys are looking for any, the dump's full of those little turds out here. Let me know.