Register now to get rid of these ads!

So my daughter is a rockstar.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadpete, Mar 29, 2007.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Three years old last week.......She asked me last night, "Daddy, what you doing?" "Gappin' spark plugs for the hot rod." "Can I do it?"
    Showed her how. I had to give her my old plugs and a gap guage to satisfy her. I think all my old plugs are gapped to about 1/2 in. now but it made my day watching her learn that.

2. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Awsome! I have a 5 year old helper.

Showing them is never enough, they want their own job to do. They can make you so mad, but the little things like this make it all worth it. Little girls are the greatest!

3. Doc22

Doc22

AWESOME! Mine's 2 1/2 and I can't wait to work on the car with him.

4. rebstew187

rebstew187

thats cool! first time today I've smiled

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Rig up a coil and battery and show her the spark jumping the gap--that should impress her.
    Don't let her touch it--she'll retaliate a few years down the road by putting you in a really bad nursing home!

6. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

figures... must take after her rockstar Dad!

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Mike, you realize I'm Pete....right? She's way ahead of me!!

8. Suave's Buick

Suave's Buick

Mine is 9 years old, and if it wasn't made by xbox or playstation, he don't want anything to do with it. I have to throw the controller outside just to get him there...

you should be proud!

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

HAHA Thats a good read!

My youngest is almost 9. She was happy to wetsand my '70 Honda while I wetsanded the '50 Burb. That was fun!

10. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

Pete - that's NEAT!

Brings back memories of the 'what's that' game - My eldest would point to something underhood and say 'what's that?', and I'd explain what it is.

when my youngest was your daughter's age - she wanted to be a race car driver, and;

a screwdriver - you know, the guy that turns the screws on a racecar!

Enjoy it while you can, man...they git big fast.

11. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

LOL MY little helper is 37. :) She always is out there helping me, wrenchin and now she welds too. Her official title is the "Worlds Best Holder of Things" (i.e. screws, bolts, tools) Actually she's my girlfriend... but she's the best looking, hardest working, smartest helper I've ever had!!!

LOL I'm such a cheeseball!

12. ricknroll

ricknroll

My wife and I are just begining to " try " to have a kid. The whole thing scares the shat out of me but it's hearing storys like this that make me want a little bugger runnin' around.
    And it'll give me an excuse to build "The Worlds Baddest Big Wheel"

13. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

A little OT but my daughters (36 year old twins) will snap a picture of an old car or canned ham travel trailer they see because they think I'd like it (I do every time). They learned to drive in 1986 in my old '58 Chevy Nomad wagon they called it the "Red Dinosaur", I just love those girls!
    Ya garage time with your kids is great, I'd like some with my grandkids.

14. JoeG

JoeG

I hopped in the Impala this morning to take our 3 1/2 year old to pre-school and while she was waiting for me to unlock the door I saw her looking at the tailpipe. She darted over to the other side of the car looking for it's match and then returned saying "Daddy, you need a pipe on the other side of the car too. That will make it better".

You know what? She's right.

Tonight I'm going to teach her about lake pipes and have her relay the info to Mommy. :)

15. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

there's no do-overs, no return to sender when you put in an order for a kid. You gotta run whatcha brung...

It's the most:

Frightening
    Awe inspiring
    Frustrating
    Rewarding
    Maddening
    Amazing

event of your life - and it goes by soo quick! Mine are 16 and 18, both girls. One loves cars - the other could care less.

16. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Man, thats cool. My son is also three and he has started helping me out in the garage...Those are the best memories....Thanks for sharing

17. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

i know exactly what you mean. my son turns 10 in may and hes the same way. i made him go motorcycle riding with his uncle and me last weekend and he actually rode and liked it. now i have to buy him one but hell at least hes outside.

18. Thats awesome Pete, My kids are the best thing that ever happened to me. Make the best of every moment with them.

19. My kiddo is 2 1/2 and loves cars. He has already started working on his pedal car. He has discovered that you can fix anything and everything with a hammer! He can't wait for the Street Rod Nats here in OKC so he can get a new t-shirt. I can't wait until he is old enough to work in the garage.

20. jdubbya

jdubbya

If you start showing her how to use your angle grinder, I am gonna have to call Child Protective Services... thats where I draw the line.:D

21. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

This reminds me of the story my dad tells about me.

He used to paint cars in the garage on weekends in Southern California when we lived out there. He was painting this black Chevy truck, and I decided to "help" by picking up a ball peen hammer and going all the way around the truck! Needless to say, he wasn't happy, but he remembers it to this day!

Having kids help is great. I jast have to teach mine to have an attention span longer than a commercial!

22. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

that is a great feeling! my daughter learned that at about the same age. now she drinks beer and leaves her underwear on hamb cars in the parking garage! lol! shes going to kill me for saying that. she has her own ride now. a 1972 pontiac firebird with a 455. she does all the work on it. oil changes, spark plus, even the clutch last year. it is a work in progress but its all hers! hot rod daughters rule!

23. lexistars

lexistars
    from Fontana

aww that is awesome! I am a female whos dad used to let me help him. he rebuilt me a truck for my first car. I must say it is him who showed me the Love for old cars! (and Thought me a thing or two about cars)

-alexis

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

She got mighty angry last night when I burned the starter solenoid and it wouldn't start. Oh well.

25. TxRat

TxRat

26. Sinner

Sinner

My little helper is gonna be born any day now.
    I can't wait till she's old enough to start learning so help me in the garage.

27. erock805

erock805

Good for you Pete, and Good luck Sinner...those first days were very scary for me...I was afraid I would hurt the little fella or do something wrong. It all worked okay though...

28. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Pete, Just think how awesome it will be to have two of them helping you with the hot rod. 'course by then Frankie will be taking over the instructor roll.:cool: :D

Frank

29. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

kool stories........ you guys will wake up one day and have grand kids!

my oldest grand daughter is 10! Seems like she was a new born a year or two ago