Register now to get rid of these ads!

100 MPH + in old steel, who's done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CLSSY56, Mar 22, 2007.

1. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Just curious if there are more crazy nuts like me. Legal or not.

Have had my 56 Chevy up to 105mph via GPS, the 265 motor didn't have much left.

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

Had my 50 ford up to 118 with the old FR flattie and a T-5 OD trans. Got kind of scary but she ran straight and true.

3. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

130 next to my buddies stang down 370! The ole A was moving the tach was at about 6500-7000 as I have th350 and 4.11s so we shut them down it was a good time though car was alot more stable than I thought

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

My '48 Ford has buried its speedo just past the 160 mark...but it has a Metric speedometer. Thems big numbers do make life cooler though...I can still remember the look on a friend's face as we went past a "Ramp-slow to 45" sign at 120.

5. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I've been stopped by the Georgia Hyway Patrol for 98 miles an hour with my brake lights on.We were on a swoop from Camp Lajeune,you marines know about swoops,just left a gas station in a 57 chevy,ran it out down a long entrance ramp,passed a long line of cars when it occured to me they were following the state trooper.He asked me how much money I had,told him $85.00 and he said that was a coincidence because thats what the fine was if I did'nt want to meet the judge.Shift linkage was screwed up a bit and when I went to pull away I was in reverse instead of first and backed into him.I didn't have anymore money for fines so I ground around with the shiffter till I found first and got the hell out of there.
    Now about passing around a gps under the name of the Platte Flatts Timing Association would be something that I would know absolutely nothing about.Anyone ever raced on the Platte Flatts of Nebraska?

6. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Sure, about 110in my old 40 tudor. The tires on my model A start hopping pretty bad just under 90.

7. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

28 A sedan Briggs 2 dr.,327 Th350 I 71 north heading to Cleveland,just came around the airport curve,dropped the hammer,hit 3rd,engine screaming,speedo buried at 120...front end got real light and scary as wind got under the front fenders,felt like the nose was getting lifted by the air,SCARRRY...let off got home..sold the A 2 months later...got a 40 tudor that was more sane.:eek:

8. hemi

hemi

I personallly don't think 100 is that fast. 125 to 135 things get a little different, but 100 might as well be 80.

As far as high speeds in unsafe cars, I've done in excess of 105 in a hopped up 73 VW van as paced by my buddies Corrado... in the rain. We were passing cars like they were standing still. :D

9. the-rodster

the-rodster

Last fall

90+ MPH

24 degrees of banking

WHAT A HOOT!

Attached Files:

10. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

I don't know the exact speed, but I have had my 60 well over a hundred. I shift in to 4th at 105 and have had it at 4800 rpm in 4th

11. I had my 58 Roadmaster up to 134 (radar trap) in '69. Stock steel wheels. bias plys.

I guess I don't get it, a hundred is nuthin. Most of us have been past that on the 1320.

Oh yea and the first liar don't stand a chance.

These posts are always a hoot, before long someone will be posting about there lexus or thier cousins 700 hp banger powered honda.

See someone already posted about doing over a hundred in the micro bus, I'll bet he had 11 long haired friends of jesus along for the ride.

12. Yeah,,a couple of years ago trying to keep up with Randy,,,HRP

13. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

110 inna bone stock '56 Chrysler Windsor with the power pack. Wasn't any different than doin' the speed limit - although the motor sounded rather 'busy'.

115+ inna '63 Rambler Wagon - had a fuel feed problem, so it wouln't spin any higher than that.

the really hairy rides have been in more 'modern' (relatively speaking) cars; there's something about getting the back end loose at triple digits which can really pucker you up.

I'm fully intent, BTW, of spooling up the Track Roadster once it's complete; I should be able to point the speedo needle straight down - about 120 MPH.

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I find this hard to believe...hahaha!!! You sure it wasn't k/m?

Wasn't a similar thread already done not long ago???????

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Real steel body and chassis, but not much else went 245 in my old 32. (OK, dont count it was a race car)
    Got to go 400mph in a 1947 CA-17 Mustang once, Aussy built P-51 now that was something to write home about!

16. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

100 was the big number back in the day. Nowadays, most 'modern' cars are chipped to somewhere between 90 and 110, so most folks think runnin up into triples with old iron is a big deal. I do agree with the 100 is nuthin comment - as long as you run up there on a regular basis. watch a guy on the freeway whose all jerky - betcha 80 feels like flyin' to his 35 MPH ass.

It's perspective, man.

17. Retrorod

Retrorod

Last year at the Rat Fink show.....running it out the back side at over 100 mph......the old sedan isn't too aerodynamic.

Just saw triple digits in a new Z06 the other day in third gear, damn things are scarey fast but 100 is nothin' for one of those.

Attached Files:

18. Like I said 11 long haired friends of jesus. Uh I guess youda hada been there.

118 on the back straight @ the mile track in San Jose, record for the day. But it had alloy wheels so maybe that don't count. :rolleyes:

19. A chartreuse Microbus, on I 1-oh about a mile outta shakeytown...

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I always remember my Dad's story about his first drive in a car at over 100 mph. He went to the Ford dealership in 1958 to test drive an Edsel. The salesman rode with him. He got out on the highway and he said before he knew it the salesman was actually begging him to slow down, he looked down at the speedo and they were traveling at close to 110 on the dial. He immediately slowed down and returned to the dealership. Dad was impressed by the performance but ended up buying a used 56 Oldsmobile 88 which would do 100 just as fast and just as effortlessly.

21. hemi

hemi

It's not the first time that I've said it....

1973 passenger van with no seats, 2.0L with a 009, dual Kadrons, 1.8L heads, and a stinger. They are geared pretty long legged and do not make enough power in stock form to ever really wind the motor out in 4th.

22. TINGLER

TINGLER

edit: Porknbeaner is right, this is stupid.

23. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

My vote definitely goes to you then......over 100 in a VW bus has GOT to be SCARY.....hahahaha!!!!!

Myself, personally, have been just a hair over 140 in my '68.....2am on Hwy 167, pretty trippy....

24. RatBone

RatBone

Every time I take the A out! Thats just on the way to cruise nite!

25. hemi

hemi

I'm not trying to win anything... just old schoolin'... and it was a bay window bus, not an anemic splitty...

The speed and floatiness wasn't really bad, but it was the thought in the back of your mind that you are sitting in front of the front wheels with your feet by the bumper and a pane of glass a few feet from your head....
    It would snatch a pretty mean second if you jerked the wheel a bit and unloaded the rear tire. Always good for a laugh...

26. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

HaHaHaHa!!! Your killing me man!!! I can imagine the scene.....

The curved windshield itself outta be good for 20mph....hahaha!!! Splits have a hard time hittin' 60!

27. A billboard is a billboard.

One of my buddies had one of the late model busses back in the '80s. He rearended a caddy and left a tenny runner mark on the truck lid.

These are always pretty dumb posts but what the hell it makes the day go by.

Ok lets sweeten the deal whos been past 120 in the dirt on may pops.

28. hemi

hemi

The splits have reduction boxes on the rear axles. Funny thing about them, they were rated as 1-ton vehicles and had under 40hp. Optimistic thinking....

I apologize to the board for the VW tangent... :D

On another note, one time I *wished* an old car would have gone faster, we decided to take my friend's chopped '51 Chevy down to a club that invloved riding down the freeway... with the wheezy stock original sixer and three speed and dim taillights we had 18 wheelers crawling up our bumper the whole way. We almost got run over a couple of times. It was fine puttering around town, but it topped out right around 55....

29. RacerRick

RacerRick

I hit 308kph in a C4 vette. Let me tell you, that is moving! Had my 69' Dart at 160mph by figuring out the engine rpm/tire size/ gear ratio - floating the front end! I think I had the 49 up to about 50mph ish when I first got it and it had no front brakes and was pulling on a wire through the dash for the throttle.

30. I passed on a sweat '47 Chebhy about 4 years back because I was going to have to drive it to work everyday on the interstate and knew it was a 45 mile wonder. it was a cool car but those old inlines were about usless (like the 40 horse VDubb) unless you had the time and money to really tweak one.

There's just something that is way more scary than a hundred in an old beater and that's 45-50 on the interstate in a car that won't get out of its own way.