Register now to get rid of these ads!

a little ps pump help please....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleetmaster, Mar 20, 2007.

1. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

ok guys, it's been awhile since i have posted, but i am back with a question. forgive me if i start to ramble or get lost in my own explanation. okay, as some of you know i am building a 47 chevy coupe with a 496 big block chevy. now, initially the plan was to run a standard power steering pump, but there was limited space that prevented that. so, my brother and i decided to try a remote resevoir pump like the one on my dad's 34 ford. we pulled a pump from the junk yard out of an 84 cavalier to use as a core. the first mounting bracket we ordered for it came from a local hot rod parts dealer. everything seemed to be working okay and we got a single groove v-belt pulley for it. we had the alternator and a/c compressor on zoops brackets. so, we set the pulley/belt system up by having one belt around the a/c, the short water pump ( with a double pulley) and the back pulley of the crankshaft with a 3 pulley set up. we then had a belt around the alt., water pump, and middle crankshaft pulley. finally there was a belt just around the ps pump and the crankshaft . there is a pic of this initial set up below. however, it is impossible to get the alt. belt tight enough and a smaller belt won't fit. zoops has the set up run like i had it except the alt. belt also goes around the ps pump. so, with the bracket we had, the pump sat too far forward from the block to line up with the alt, so we ordered a new bracket from zoops that holds it flush with the block so it would line up with the alternator. the only problem is, the new bracket holds the pump really far out to the side-too far out. my bro and i have searched all over for an alternative but can find none. we need a bracket just like the one on my dad's car that holds the set up flush while keeping it tightly tucked in. i have included some pics. now, for all of you troopers out there who actually read all of my massive post, my essential question is this: are there other alternatives that i haven't tried or does anyone know where i can find a bracket like the one on my dad's car? thanks for any help you can give. sorry for the length
    the original set up minus the ps pump:
    [​IMG]
    the original bracket:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the newer bracket:
    [​IMG]
    my dad's bracket that would work perfect:
    [​IMG]

2. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

3. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

4. This may come out bad, but listen to the message.

You need to stop being a checkbook rodder and start being a hot rodder. that means, it is time to make your own bracket. So get out the sawzall, welder and drill bits. Spend some quality garage time and give yourself the satisfaction of making something for your car and solving your problem.

You already have a couple of models to have a head start on the design, just modify their design as appropriate to fit your needs.

5. tj

tj

Speedway offers a block and /or head mount for the type 2. I used the head mount on a small block - no problem.

6. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

bttt again-sry guys

7. 97

Shitcan the pump and get an electric power steering pump from a Toyota MR2, or cut up what you have an make a new one like your Dad's ...take Dad's one off and try it on your car, then copy it , or get it copied... if you haven't got any hot rodding friends close by and there isn't a hot rod shop near you there must be a small engineering shop somewhere close by.

8. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

i appreciate all the response guys, well some of them, but to let you all know, we got it worked out. a few modifications to what we had and it should work out good.