Register now to get rid of these ads!

YAY! Talked a teen out of a ricer!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Mar 20, 2007.

1. guiseart

guiseart

Well, I did it... it took a year, but I finally convinced him the 1961 Econoline would be just pretty cool for his first ride.

[​IMG]

Now, I have to shift my way of thinking about the "build"... funny how it's okay to rebuild just a few of the wheel cylinders, or run without bumpers if it's just for yourself - but your mind automatically jumps into "safety mode" when it's for your loved one, huh?

This is gonna be fun... Zach (16) lives with his mom 3 hours away from me, but spends summers with us. I think we are gonna be a little busy this summer :D .

All I need to find now is a nice C4, everything else is scrounged up. I think he would do better with an automatic.

Stay tuned!
    (shit, I will have to buy another project next spring for myself... oh darn :rolleyes: )

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Your kid has an awesome starting vehicle..... Could you possibly consider adopting ME ? I've been looking for a restorable Econo pickup for months !!!
    Cool!

3. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

tell that boy to take a hair cut!:D looks just like me when i was 16:)
    way to go greg!!!!you saved another one!

4. thed3vl

thed3vl

Put a manual in it instead, why should he not learn to drive a manual first? At least you'll save him the imbaresment when he has to drive a manual later in life.

Herearound 12 year old kids know how to drive a manual, but that's beacuse automatics are quite sparse over here.

Anyway, congratulations to destroying the kids life by intruducing him to the wonderful world of traditional hot rods and customs!

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done, the world don't need no more stinking ricers!!
    Give the poor kid a manual cog box though! I learned to drive on the farm at 7 and that was manual, if a kid can learn that early 17 will be a piece of piss and honestly I hate people who cant drive manuals!
    Auto's are for chicks that cant spell their own names.

6. metalman

metalman

Recently saved my 19 year old from rice racers, just totaled his Acura, talked him into American V8. Bought a sweet 71 Chevy C-10 with half the insurance money. Now he's looking at drop kits,ect. Also found out he can actualy work on the motor, no computer!

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Be advised if you stick a V8 in that sweet truck you'd better have a nice slab of steel in the rear to keep it down and on the road. Every Econoline pickup I've ever seen that was wrecked was wadded up pretty good and often hit hard in the side by a pole or bridge abutment due to skidding and getting out of control from sudden maneuvering. Keep the front tires fairly tall and wide to get best handling and braking. These trucks are fun to drive but have their peculiarities which should be learned before the slippery freeway, country road, problem comes up.
    He'll have a blast.

8. guiseart

guiseart

Actually, he knows how to drive a manual (we snuck out on country roads with the Rampage a few years ago) and does quite well... yeah a manual would be okay, just in the mood for a C4.

I thought his hippy-head kinda went with the ol' '60's Econo vibe real well... the only thing that would've matched better is if it were a van... and no teen of mine needs a shaggin waggin yet.

Thanks guys!

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

greg, lets just hope he dont have this hair when he's 30 like i did!this was mins b4 the wife cut it off! i was drivin an beat to death 84 toyota work truck then!!!could it screamed more "imma meth dealer"?:D

Attached Files:

• 33.JPG
      33.JPG
      File size:
      46 KB
      Views:
  10. Wew, I thought you ment you knew a kid with a rice grinder and talked him out of it. I was gonna have to know what you were going to do with a ricer, and that was going to involve driveing half way to Denver.

Build him some nerf bars, I ran sans bumpers when I was a kid and it didn't hurt me much. :D Looks like fun my friend now if only my kid weren't 35 and lived coloser than the other side of the country.

11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Cool man.

Are you bringing it to the HAMB-B-Q?

12. ian

ian

Now, would he be considered "saved" ? ...I think so...

13. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

Nice starter!! Get him a great dane and paint "Mystery Machine" on the side!! Just kidding.

Lucky kid, cool car!! Good save.

14. Low

Low

Hey thats funny, I talked a teen into my van this weekend too. Just kidding.I dig those p/u vans.

15. 38pickup

38pickup

That a sweet truck. :D I always liked 60's Econoline's...

16. hair + van = big pimpin.. I'm not sure if you got him into less or more trouble ;)

17. Gnashty1

Gnashty1

Sold the Nash 2 days ago, to get room and capital for my son's truck. Saving him from the Playstation, dodging the ricers.

I'm not sure which of us is more excited about it, but he's started drawing hot rods during History and Literature classes.

18. Shit, you blew it! this could have been YOUR driveway!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. lexistars

lexistars
    from Fontana

20. Low

Low

21. pullinlines

pullinlines
    from indy

coolass lit'l truck. reminds me of the 68 chevy van that i've got with a blowed up straight 6 in her with a 3 on the tree! lotsa fun!!!! good luck with the truck.

22. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

shaggy and the van but, where's scooby?
    i have a 250/c4 if interested?

23. guiseart

guiseart

Doubt if it will be roadworthy by then... with the move and all.
    We'll be in the ol' reliable Dijon Bomb... packed with parts, using your place as a relay point for a bunch of people :)

24. [​IMG]

Good gravy man!!! You like like Al Jardine (sp) from Ministry without the charm. :eek: ;)

guiseart - good on ya man for swaying the youngin' toward the "dark side". I was eyeballing that Econo-slime green machine before you got it. I do like the kids hair though, it does have a 60's vibe. A few endless line panels on the truck, a barefoot accelerator pedal and an Ass, Gas, or Grass bumper sticker will complete the package.

25. Cool truck. Haven't seen one of those in my area in a long time. Most are rusted away and gone. Only one I've seen around here in the last several years was a van.

26. OLLIN

OLLIN

haha. took me a second to get that one!

27. Jake H.

Jake H.

Those lil' trucks are bitchin'.

You could show him The Go-Nuts nutwagon for inspiration, even if it's a Dodge:http://www.lookoutrecords.com/media/promo-photos/GoNuts.jpg

oldcarmike, I almost pissed my pants laughing when you mentioned Al Jardine; who was the bass player for The Beach Boys, being in Ministry.

Not to bust your balls, but I think you meant Al Jourgensen. But that would be one hell of a collaboration!

28. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

good for the kid..i hope he enjoy's it put it in the weeds,some cool rims,zoomie's.......................cool