Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Some Model T Top Chop Advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bib Overalls, Mar 16, 2007.

1. I am at the top chopping point in my 26 Model T 2 door sedan project.

I did a search and found this thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93414&highlight=Model+T+chop .

But I seem to recall a thread with pictures detailing the cuts needed to accomodate the taper in the A and B pillars and the back of the rear windows. Ring a bell?

Are there any books that discuss chopping a Model T? Any web sites? Anyone have pictures of their Model T chop in progress?

I already have a roadster. I don't want to mess this up and have a tub too!

Attached Files:

2. Bump for a good topic.

Jay

3. One more time. BTTT

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A T is as close to a chop, drop, and weld as ever there has been.
    To check for how much, as in proper driver visibility and headroom, sit in the car and mask the window openings with cardboard.
    Hint, you can maintain a taller windshield by shortening the panel above the windshield. Keep the windshield frame at the level of the window openings in the doors, it will give you better vision and a more balanced and KOOL KAR!
    Plus, most folks will wonder what it is that makes your car so different than other chopped Ts.

5. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

My advice would be don't chop it at all. I like the wacky tall look. But if you must, the book "How To Chop Tops In 301 Photos" by Tim Remus, published by Motorbooks International might be helpful. Might find it on Amazon. It shows a chop on a 26 coupe but, shows how to deal with the A and B posts which are the same as the sedan.

6. Checked Amazon.com. They have two used copies for $80 each and one new copy for $98. Hopefully someone here has it and will offer to scan the relevant pages and email them to me.

7. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I think the key questions need to be where will the pilot/passenger sit, and how big might they be? A good pal of mine built a bitch'n pickup that wasn't very useful because there was not enough room inside for the pilot. I am a huge fan of style, but if it doesn't work, you have wasted your time.

Chiefs customs likes this.
  8. I'm looking at about 5" and I am going to thin the panel above the windshield and go without a visor. I'm 6'2" tall and a chopped "T" coupe is out of the question. But in a sedan I can push the seat down and back and fit under a moderately lowered lid with ease.

9. I chopped my T 5 inches and all the people talking about the functionality they may be right cause i haven't got mine running yet but the bodywork is done. I'm no pro but i did mine and it came out good i cuta all the posts right down the middle (except the front post where the windshield is i just cut 5 1/4'' off of it)then i cut the section of chop out of all the rest of the pillars and tacked it all back together the biggest problem is 1. don't warp the body by welding too much and when you cut it down the window areas don't match up just right so you got to make some small pieces in the window area to get it right if you got any questions just ask me i'll tell you what i know

10. as far as the window openings go i just cut them out with the angle grinder shortened them and welded them in and on the doors i added a small strip to accomadate on top because i didn't want to make the bottoms smaller

11. Egay has one for $60