Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech-Pretty Blind Rivits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52pickup, Mar 15, 2007.

1. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

This is pretty simple, but something some people might not think of. When using blind rivits(pop rivits) in areas on your car where they will be visable, polishing them can make a huge difference.

I'm sorry, I don't have any pictures, but you should get the idea without them.

First, take the rivit to a vise, or anything where you can support the head of the rivit, with an opening under the rivit. Using a hammer(or whatever is handy) tap the "nail" out of the rivit body. You are going to be going the opposite direction with the nail as you would if you were installing the rivit.

Now you should have a bare rivit body. Take it to your bench grinder, with a buffing wheel on it, and give it a quick buff. Tip: This thing is going to get really hot, really quick. I often use the nail as a handle, partially inserted into the rivit, but not far enough to get it into the buffing wheel.

Reinstall the nail by hand. If it doesnt go all the way by hand dont worry about it, the rivit gun will pull it in when you go to install it. Before you put it in the rivit gun, take a piece of masking tape and put it across the hole of the rivit gun where the rivit goes. Pierce the tape with the nail and proceed as normal. The tape will prevent scratching the newly polished surface of the rivit when you install it.

Pretty simple, but it does make a difference. Hope this helps someone, and again, sorry for the lack of photography.

2. hoof

hoof

The machine shop guy at work just told me he used to put a shot bag under the metal he was rivetting together and use a push rod or something like that to "dimple" it. Then when you seated the pop rivet it was below the level of the surrounding metal and you could fill right over it and sand it flush.
    CHAZ

3. 31aBoy

31aBoy

I know I will keep this in mind next time I use rivets 52. Thanks

It was before my time, but I hope nobody uses filler over rivets anymore...

4. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

JB Weld ;)

5. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Chuck them in a drill, run the drill as you polish, no hot fingers, and it polishes in no time.

6. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Little secret!!!!!!,, you can buy stainless hardware,, (bolts), ,there called a blind headed bolt.. looks just like a domed rivet head,, but there bolts,,

7. Terry

Terry

Cool little detail. But a blind rivit has no nail, a rivit with a nail is a pop rivit.

8. What's your source for these?

9. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

I think all "blind rivets" have a nail,or "stem" as its called.

If you can get to the backside of the pieces you are joining,then you
    do not have to use the blind rivet.

Best I remember,the term "blind" was given to the rivet to signify that is what you used on a "blind hole".

(I knew a blind girl once,but that's another story).

10. pictures! i demand pictures!

11. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

I used around 1600 rivets to skin my car. I just painted over them because they made the car look cool.

12. chop509

chop509

Could you post a link or source for these, they might be just what I'm looking for. Thanks

13. eviljake

eviljake
    from Austin, TX

14. raffman

raffman

Also Restoration Supply, got to warn ya the price adds up quick on those little mothers

15. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Correct it is Restoration Supply Company, www.RestorationStuff.com
    They have every little detail nicA naCk item you could think of,, correct era cert fittings, to oil fillers, down to vintage leather hood straps with the spring hold downs.. Cloth cover wiring, Raja spark plug ends many to choose from, down to knurled brass tops for your spark plugs.. 800-306-7008..