Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harvey's Broiler Razed Illegally!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey,
    Just a quick reminder to those who are interested in attending the Ghost Cruise for the support of the broiler. It's Sunday Feb 25th @ Bob's Toluca Lake. We split @ approx 9:45am. Come join us.
    If ya live in the OC, PM Chili Phil for flyers and departure time for the
    cruise in.
    Also-Please keep sending the City Council those emails so that they know that this isn't gonna get swept into a dump truck and end up in a landfill.
    Yes, the site does need to be cleaned up, but legal & safe like. The moratorium will need our voices to be heard, so please do what you can.
    Thanx
    Kevin & Chili Phil!

2. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

Is it true what thelocal NBC station reported--that they were doing the demo with the natural gas turned on?! That's crazy man.

Good luck with this. History is important.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If somebody was serious, serious, about saving this place, it would have been saved. A lot of talk and complaining after the fact just shows the lack of committment to these projects.
    Nowhere did I see that this location was declared a Historical site like some of the others mentioned. Besides, they would have destroyed it even if it had been, the penalty is probably just a fine.
    If it is OK for YOU to cut up a car YOUR way, what is the difference if it is SOMEONE ELSE's property?
    I feel bad about the situation, but there obviously was not a big public support for the preservation of this wonderful building, and so it goes.

4. Hey Pasadenahotrod, maybe it would help ya understand if we refered to it as the Custom Car/Hot Rod ALAMO? History has value, ya know?

5. Hey pasadenarod! What part of ILLEGAL did ya miss in all the pages on the thread? This was on the list and had been aproved for status.....the owner refused to sign the papers then raised the price outa sight and HE stated in the for sale ad it was historical.......AND so on goes the fight!!!!!!!!!!!

6. John B

John B

When's the next council meeting or hearing on this? I've been sending emails and I'd like to send another just before the next meeting.

7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

John B.
    The next city council meeting is Tuesday Feb 27th @ 7:30pm. On the agenda will be the hearing for the emergency moratorium. Come all & be heard whether pro or con.
    In this country we have a right to be heard and exercising ones right is what this hearing will provide.

Pasadena Hot Rod,
    Hey. I'm a member of that club! Oops! I meant Roadster Club! ;). I'm all for one doing what they want with property that they personally enjoy in a private fashion, This just happened to be a community place that many people enjoyed.
    You really do need to do a as Meatball & Chili suggest. Read the links to the stories and there are many.

People from this Hot Rod industry such as Thom Taylor- Hot Rod Illustrator-who's name appears under mine on the comments page of the www.roasidepeek.com as well as Pat Ganahl-who is writing a blip to appear in a future TRJ and actually used this particular location on cover of Rod & Custom (Feb 93 and a Apr 93 feature) seem to think that it's worth saving and even suggested that the city which has vast financial resources (with all that sales tax revenue from all of those used car dealers that line Firestone) step up and invest within itself.

Not that I'm a big Taco Bell or Denny's fan, but even those restaurants were started in that city. You'd never know it unless you knew fast food history.

I live a community where Hot Rod Pioneers Pete Henderson,Don Waite still reside. Where Pete & Jakes started and both of those guys lived. Where Eric Vaughn grew up Pete Eastwood lived over a garage behind Pete and Jakes. Hell even one of the main animators (Ward Kimball) that penned Snow White for Walt Disney himself, lived several blocks away until his death a few years back & this guy a had a full scale locomotive that he ran in his yard-His house was 2 away from Tom & Cal Tanaka's.

Man they used to film the TV show The Wonder Years here.
    Well you wouldn't recognize it now with all of the cool parts stores,
    walk in & drive in theaters,restaurants, cool 50's style drug stores with a cool ice cream counter as well as my favorite barber shop and had everything that you needed as well as informed hardware store turned into bridal shops,escrow places realty companies so many mini malls where video stores and cell phone stores are located. How many does one city need?

I still fight to survive here by utilizing my right to vote and speak
    when I feel there is going to be something that may adversly affect this community I speak up.

Harvey's is a place that I feel can regenerate 5+ yrs of lost tax revenue for the city of Downey as well as become a role model for many a bedroom community around America by contributing to its restoration by providing guidelines in how a protected structure that many people seem to care about should be "cared for".

Just because the owner doesn't care for it any longer (and he hasn't for the last 30yrs) doesn't mean that people world wide don't.
    I'm stepping down off of my soapbox now.
    Please come out & voice your opinion on Feb 27th.

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

The meeting went well. The Emergency Moritorium was extended and the property cannot be altered or deviate from its original design.

The property needs to be cleaned up as asked by the city, He had 10 days from the 20th of Feb. March 2nd would have been clean up day deadline.

We now need to find an investor that can ponie up the much needed bones for a venture of this kind. It's gonna take a lot of them to get this job done.

If any of you guys have any serious suggestions-answers, The Mod Com-Friends of the Broiler would appreciate it.

Keep this place on you minds ok?

Thanx.
    Kevin

9. repoguy

repoguy

So, to you guys arguing for property rights, I guess by the spirit of your argument I could assume that if I bought the property next door to your house and converted it to a sewage treatment plant, and your home smelled like poo 24/7, that you would be fighting for my property owners rights while all the rest of your neighbors were trying to get rid of me?

I mean, it is my property isn't?

The public DOES have the right to declare some places as historical landmarks, and it is incumbent on the purchaser of such a property to make himself aware of the laws regarding ownership, and adhere to them.

If this guy bought this property and it was not designated as a historic landmark at time time, then a bunch of people started whining when he decided to tear it down, I would agree that in this scenario the city or county should purchase the property from the owner. It would be completely unrealistic for any of us to expect this guy to maintain the property as a historic landmard if he did not purchase it under those conditions. However, if he bought the property under landmark status and simply decided to ignore the law, then I saw throw his ass in the can.

The public does have some say in how you use your property, like in the extreme scenario I gave earlier. Your rights as a property owner, much like your right to free speech, extends up to the point where it interferes with the rights of others. For example, freedom of speech does not protect you if you shout "fire" in a crowded theatre. And as a property owner, you don't have the right to play your music at full blast 24 hours a day because it interferes with your neighbors rights to sleep. Simple stuff really.

Nothing "communist" about it.

10. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Not according to the NHPA of 1966 the owners of private property have to agree to the property being made a historic landmark. A bunch of people can't just get together and declare a place a historic landmark. The owner of the private property does have some say so in the matter. :rolleyes:

[quote}
    If this guy bought this property and it was not designated as a historic landmark at time time, then a bunch of people started whining when he decided to tear it down, I would agree that in this scenario the city or county should purchase the property from the owner. It would be completely unrealistic for any of us to expect this guy to maintain the property as a historic landmard if he did not purchase it under those conditions. However, if he bought the property under landmark status and simply decided to ignore the law, then I saw throw his ass in the can.

[/quote]

This is exactly what happened. The guy bought the property in the 60's ran it as a burger joint for many years. Then he closed it, it sat empty for several years, then he started gutting it and everybody got there panties in a bunch and tried to have it declared a historical landmark in order to keep him from changing it.

I can't find this place listed on any historical registers.

Looks to me like the only thing the guy is guilty of is demolition of private property without the proper permits.

11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

This is exactly what happened. The guy bought the property in the 60's ran it as a burger joint for many years. Then he closed it, it sat empty for several years, then he started gutting it and everybody got there panties in a bunch and tried to have it declared a historical landmark in order to keep him from changing it.

I can't find this place listed on any historical registers.

Looks to me like the only thing the guy is guilty of is demolition of private property without the proper permits.[/quote]

Sealed Power,
    Just FYI. The Building never ever sat empty. It was closed on Dec 31,2001 and in the 1st week of the New Year of 2k2
    The New Lesse started to fill the lot with used cars, without an occupancy permit from The City of Downey. In such a city the are zoning laws that dictate what kind of business areas are permitted in the area. Yes, this place is surrounded by used car lots as well as one new car lot and a car wash.
    The business license stated that the business was to be operated as a restaurant, which it was not. The city attempted to close the car lot down, The lesse took it upon themselves to destroy the kitchen are as well as signage all w/o permits. The main sign is structural and holds up the building=that's why it's still standing.
    They were fined & stop work order issued back in April of 2k2.
    Fast foward to 2k5-6.
    The owner decided to take way the lease from the original lesse which had been a 10 yr and made it a month to month.
    In the meantime he was listing (still listing) and leased it out to a 3rd party which allegedly is the culprit that damaged the building.
    This person decided to circumvent the law as well.
    Again, commercial property doesn't work the same as residential property, especially if it was to be used by the public.
    But the 1st name that appears on any legal docs is the true property owner. He is the one that is ultimately reponsible.

12. repoguy

repoguy

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

cbs2.com - Video Library
    Charges filed! 5 misdemeanor charges for destroyig part of Johnie's Broiler in Downey. Persian Developer Adras Yanik is the pepetrator.
    Will be arraigned April 4th in Downey Court.

Anyone who has memories of The Broiler, Please come show some support.
    Adriene,Analisa,Bobby-Chili Phil,many others & I have kept on top of this and are preparing for the Holy Ghost Cruise & Poker Run!
    This one we're gonna probably be charging an entrance fee for as we will be getting posters/flyers/shirts printed. Try to get some ads in magazines and the media.
    We need some help so, if anybody is willing, we're here listening.

Would like some input of what date the majority of you guys could attend. We're talking July, Aug or Early Sept.
    Any of you guys game?

14. The sneak attack occured on the 7th. April 7 falls on a Saturday. Let's take a cruise by the Broiler then and go get a burger somewhere and BRAINSTORM a little. I can ask the folks at George's Diner (an old Grissinger's Drive In in Long Beach from the 50s) if we can meet there. Has parking for about 80 cars. IF we reserve it.

So as far as help goes: Anyone care to design a poster/shirt/dash plaque? How 'bout an idea or two for a place to have the parking part of the event? Know of any bands that might like to get involved? Oh, and ideas in general, we need 'em. Donate prizes for the Poker Run? Volunteer to judge for the car show? There are involvement opportunities galore!

See, there's a hell of a lot to be done. Don't waste bandwidth here debating the politics of this. If you feel really strongly that you want to support the guys who did the ILLEGAL demo, c'mon down and counter-protest. That'll help us get media coverage, ya know.

Keep the faith.

15. NoSurf

NoSurf

Can you design a shirt with the Harvey's or Johnies "Logo" without copywrite infringement?

I like the counter-protest idea Chili Phil. LMAO. talk about a media feeding frenzy.

16. I personally prefer to refer to it as Harvey's. I don't think there'd be an issue with the Harvey's name.

The counter protest would be funny. But who's gonna take that side? It's one thing to spout on a message board, but to publicly hold a sign and talk to opponents takes a bit of starch.

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I LMAO!!!!:D :D :D
    Counter protesters are to be shoveled up with the debris when the clean up occurs :D :D :D !

As for copy right infrigement-none on file!
    The shirt won't say Johnie's on it. Lol!!!!!:rolleyes:

18. Gabacho_LBC

Gabacho_LBC

I do not think there is a problem at all using the Harveys name as it was in the original state. My Dad has a huge mural of it in is garage with Sultans Car Club cars all over it. He had posters made on heavy duty stock paper and I will donate a couple for this cruise. I know he has some left in his garage as he sold them to fellow Sultans members. I might stick some in the classifieds for sale. Just haven't got around to it.

19. Gabacho_LBC

Gabacho_LBC

Just like Watson used "THE CLOCK" Drive-in of Bellflower California for his posters.

20. Hey Gabacho, can you post a pic of that mural.

I have a friend who also has a mural of Harvey's. But it has HIS cars in it. Painted by Kenny Youngblood too. Here's alink to see it. Go to the murals part and scroll down.
    http://www.youngbloodart.com/

CP

21. Gabacho_LBC

Gabacho_LBC

Chili Phil, I do not have any pics of the mural itself but I can get some. Here is a few pics of the posters 28 X 16 that I will donate for the cause and I will also have for sale in the for sale section later. Thanks, Rich

Attached Files:

22. Damn going to court on the 4th of April..I consider that a great birthday present.Thank you.............any of you all going to del-mar?

23. Burny

Burny

Cyclone kev- Let me know if you need help with the tee shirtsand magazine ads...I can provide some art for sure!

24. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

Boy, what a shame, those b' asters need to be shot! I similar situation is happening in Montvale, N.J. where a really cool 50s style roller rink was forced to sell because of corrupt city officials and will be destroyed probably sometime in June. check out www.rinkonline.com
    I saw a feature about the rink on Sunday Morning with Bill Geist but apparently all avenues have been explored to save it.
    How many Americana Icons do we have to loose?

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Yes! Definitely!:D We can use your help.
    Get in touch with me, we haven't much time if we're gonna swing it.
    Thank you!!!!;)

26. lexistars

lexistars
    from Fontana

that makes me sad =(

27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

We're working on righting the wrong, but is is going to take some real help in volumes in order to make a difference.
    I would like see where it would be on the docket.
    Would any of you be interested in showing up @ the courthouse and voicing an opinion? ;)

28. Burny

Burny

Chili Phil/Cyclone- sent a PM...I'm ready to get on this...

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Attn:Guys, & Gals who cruised The Broiler,

Do you ever remember this place being a hook up spot for for girls of the "working profession". If not,take a look @ what the "Gross Joker" has to say.
    [http://www.thedowneypatriot.net/
    click on small print at lower right edge. go to editorials

I can honestly say that I never saw a lady of the evening there ever! Maybe these letter writers are receiving some type of compensation for their letter writing skills.

To Many others & I as well, The Broiler has always been a Car Culture related venue. Yes the truckers used to use it as a "Eat N Puke" which maybe they brought the ladies in red? but I never saw em-ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How bout the HAMB showing some letter writing skills themselves, but in a positve way to stop this spin.