Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH - Keeping the Boss Happy during a Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chuckspeed, Mar 13, 2007.

1. jmn444

jmn444

I suppose if they don't like the car habit, then maybe the cosmic kool-aid would solve that problem...

2. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

fuck that...just get a good girl...and never marry her.

3. jmn444

jmn444

^^^ sure, NOW you tell me....

4. Teach her acronyms.
    STFU
    GMAB
    MMAS

Shut the fuck up!
    Get me a beer!
    Make me a sandwich!

And a pre-nup.

5. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Dang! I read this thread to her just now and now I'm in trouble......:p ....just kidding..

Good advice.....

6. Terry

Terry

I don't mean to sound like a A-hole here, but it sounds like alot of you married the wrong woman.

I work in the shop when work needs to be done, and most of the time Miss Tina is beside me. When Samuel was little the 3 of us hung out there together.

She is almost as car crazy as I am and for 16 years we have spent family vacations and weekends at car shows, rod rods and the like. I do most of the work, hand her the list of parts I need, she finds them gets them ordered and in my hands.

Now that Samuel is older and in school, band, church, friends, etc. Somtimes he can't come. (like the HAMB drags) so he stays home. But the rod never moves without Tina there as my co-pilot.

Ya'll make it sound like a woman can't be a gear-head. Like they have to be treated with special treatment. Hog-wash, I'll bet Miss Tina, Denise, and Marcie might have a different idea.

7. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

While my woman isn't quite car-crazy, she's into the old ones, especially 40s and 50s cars. I did find one little secret, though. I wanted a 50s car, so I bought the one she really liked and we call it her car. Ditto on wanting a 51 Ford truck and dragging home her grandpa's parts truck to build another one for her. Get it? The projects are hers (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). It made dragging home that J2 intake with original carbs and aftermarket linkage a non-discussion as it's part of HER PROJECT. Lately, I've been wanting a hotrod (model A sedan, big overhead engine, etc) and mentioned it to her - she said - 'why don't you find the right one, borrow the money from the credit union, and build it?' I've never met another woman that would let me borrow money to build a car and she wouldn't have, except for the fact that I DON'T HAVE A PROJECT, they're all hers. I guess the fact that she knows that I'm a total cheapass and won't buy anything that isn't a smoking deal helps. That and buying the house last year...

8. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

well, im a couple months shy of 21 and my girlfriend of 2 years is pregnant. ive got to sell the 54 now, but ive got my 65. her 93 civic got totalled (not her fault, it was parked) so now we get to get her a 4 door. she wanted a falcon ranchero, and her friends dad gave her a 63. all it needs now is an engine and trans. which i have a 305 with a 350 in the backyard. so things will work out.

...and by the way, my girl loves the smell of gumout and bondo...

9. When it comes to the wife, the most important rule is... It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for her permission.

10. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Divorce lawyers live for this philosophy...

11. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

well my ol lady is generally pretty cool

she throws a fit occasionally about the money i spend cause i always forget to check with her before i buy

but then again i dont go out in the rodz unless shes with me (small handful of exceptions)

and shes even happier cause im suppose to be building her a full fendered model a roadster this year (flat black with pink steelies and white and pink roll and pleat)

so i guess its easy to say
    "shes tickled pink"

12. Gumpa

Gumpa

The Dodge started out to be a family car but I really want to build a full blown custom pickup. (46 to 52 Ford) so I started talking about it and told her that as soon as the Dodge was done I was going to build me one. She said that if I was getting another project then this one was hers and she has the right to say what it looks like. I thought about it and why not. I just want to build it anyway and I end up doing what I want to do to it anyway. Bout the only thing she will say anything about will be the colors. Oh Well she will be doing the driving anyway. We are working on getting this place ready to sell because we bought a piece of property in town and then we bought a new modular home that we are waiting to have set up. She agreed to me getting a brand new 30 X 40 shop IF I didn't fight with her about the things she wanted in the new house. Gee I get what ever I want in the shop and I get the shop I want too. Forced Air heat is the first thing on the list. Second was fully insulated and Tile flooring. I even get a 10 x 10 attached man room. Couch, Refridgerator, microwave and coffee pot. Talk about luxury at my age. I was over welmed by her offer. We are getting a pretty penny out of this place (I hope) and there will be enough for both of us to have what we want. I really think that after 23 years she knows me better than I know myself. Gumpa

13. lexistars

lexistars
    from Fontana

hahaha Wow..Sounds like some of you got it kind of rough. I am Cool with most of it. As long as I get work on my car done and We got his and her prodject =) And Just cause you found it , dont mean you keep it lol WE SHARE BUT I get first dibs. My mr dont complain too much. I guess he would draw the line if Started to spend too much time on the car..lol

-alexis

14. TimDavis

TimDavis

Exactly.

All this talk of points systems, time management, keeping her "appeased"....none of it makes sense to me.

How about having a relationship with a woman that you WANT to take out to dinner regularly....one that you WANT to buy gifts for.....one that you WANT to help out around the house, and WANT or PREFER to spend time with over a greasy ass CAR!

There was a gennie '32 roadster on eBay last week, and my woman wanted me to buy it, against my better judgement. I finally bid on it(just over half what if finally brought). She knows I would love to have a Henry at some point, and wanted me to buy it for that reason.

I think some of you guys have hit the checkout lane a little early when you went "girl shopping".

15. Jey

Jey

It's funny... I used to worry about this stuff a lot more than i do now.

Sure, I love cars, and building them, but i like eating and being alive more.

Before, I would spend every penny i had on parts, and trying to get stuff done as soon as possible. I could go years with out haircuts, dinners out, new clothes etc...

but, then you get married. Try to build a house, have two cars, and start a family.

The priorties change for me. I used to live to be in the garage, but with an already hectic work life of sometimes 16 hours 7 days a week.. I can't expect some else to be happy never to see me.

Don't get me wrong. I still love the cars and building them, and it fuels me, it's just not a number 1 priorty. The family i'm building will take care of me when I get old and start to shit my pants, not a '32 5 window.

So, why get married if you're only concerned about not being around the wife?

And the no reciepts policy is though. I understand it compeltely, but, what if you're wife is doing that too... and suddenly you're 65 years old, and you want to retire, but your wife's purse collection and your hot rods drained your account, and now you're working till your grave?

Anyway ,carry on.

16. Gas Huffer

Gas Huffer

Great advice. I think it all comes down to balancing priorities. Let her know that she's #1 in your life, but your passion for classics has to have a place too. I buy my wife of 8 years a rose each Saturday and place it by the bed. I also try to get her out in the garage when I'm working to keep me company.

17. jmn444

jmn444

hotrods add value. purses drain accounts.

my wife once asked how i'd feel if she went out and spent the same $ on say scrapbooking as I spend on my cars... My answer: when was the last time you doubled your money reselling a scrapbook?

that was the end of that.

I'm usually not a prick to her about it and she mostly doesn't care how the cars go, but every once in a while shit comes up....

Jey likes this.
  18. Jey

Jey

you have to admit though, that the fact that you can gain value is a biproduct, and not the reason for the love of the car... :D

19. I'd like all of you guys who claim to have it all figured out to come back in 10 years and tell us if you're still with the same woman...

I bet NOT ONE....

Chicks come and go... cars will love you forever...

JOE:cool:

20. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Before we got married my wife told me I needed a new Harley. I got the Harley first then asked her to marry me!

21. jmn444

jmn444

Damn homie! Guess you're on all the cool boards...

How's the low boy coming?

22. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

As is true with tech threads - you may choose to follow the advice... or not; it's your call. After 21 years of marriage, all I have to offer is what works for me - and she's put many an hour in on projects; we finished a project together to pay for her engagement ring.

You get what you give - both on projects and in a relationship.

23. Jey

Jey

well said!

24. TimDavis

TimDavis

The nature of your posts in this thread make me wonder if you have it figured out buddy.

25. metwiz

metwiz
    from Salinas CA

UH, I bet he's single! Don't ask me why, just a guess.

26. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I've never been good at the balance thing. Homelife, project, Homelife, project, homelife, Project, project, project, project, PROJECT, P-R-O-J-E-C-T!!!! Ooh I feel better now. How much for this visit?

27. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

Wow, My wife was next to me as I read your post and I dont know if I should thank you for reminding her about #5...

I was ok up to #4 since I just took her out to dinner last night but #5 made her stand up and say "see, see, at least someone on that board have some kind of common sense". I just got my quarters and my deck lid in bare metal and if they rust, I'm blaming you.. I guess it's time to finish the tile up in our master bath.

Been with my wife 15 years, married 8. I'm not quite sure I want her in 10years:eek: :D :p

28. lexistars

lexistars
    from Fontana

lol you men are, oh so funny.

29. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Well ... maybe I don't have it figured out right.
    BUT, 35 years have passed by since my wife decided this would be a JOINT project. (she was the one who bought "shares" in my "A")

So ... doing the math; I'm STILL with her 25 years later!
    (35 - 10 = 25)

30. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

Just shared the ENTIRE thread with the boss; wanted it to develop some depth B4 sharing the thing with her.

She's pretty amused - but we still haven't picked out colors for the seats of the Track Roadster - so she's slackin'.