Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy Trans Guru's HELP me please..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustahaulic, Mar 13, 2007.

1. I thought MORTEC had a transmission section but I guess not...I bought a pair of Nova's, 1 is as SS and got a PILE of bowtie parts with them...I might use this trans in my 31 Vicki behind my 383 if I could identify it...
    It didn't have fine input shaft splines but it did have fine splines on the output shaft...M20-21 maybe?Borg Warner t 10? I dunno...Here are the numbers cast on the side of the side of the trans *3885010*..Any help would be appreciated...

2. a Muncie or T-10 can have coarse or fine splines on the input shaft. Has nothing to do with fine splines on the output shaft. The side cover, where the forward gear shift shafts are-Muncie, it's flat on the bottom. T-10, round on bottom like the belly of an old horse. If the 2 forward shift shafts AND the reverse shift shaft's on the side cover, it's a Saginaw

3. squirrel

squirrel

that number looks like muncie or saginaw, borg warner numbers usually start with T10-

Muncie is aluminum case, saginaw is iron. As Groucho said, Muncie side cover is flat on the bottom, it has the reverse lever in the tailhousing, while the Saginaw has the reverse lever on the side cover with the other two.

Muncie M22 and BW Super T-10 have a fine spline input shaft, so you know it ain't one of them.

4. Thanks guys... I should be able to use that info to figure it out what kind it is...I'd say Muncie since it's aluminum housing...now which one is the question, M 20, M 21...
    Hey Groucho..the geardrive ya sold me installed perfect...I can't wait to hear it run...

5. squirrel

squirrel

there are grooves on the input shaft, that should tell you...if you can figure out which is which. or count how many times the input shaft turns when you turn the output shaft once, when it's in first...either 2 and a half or two and a quarter turns, depending if it's a 20 (wide ratio) or 21 (close)

6. 1 line=close ratio(2.20 1st gear), 2 lines=wide ratio (2.52 1st gear), and no lines=early wide ratio(2.56 1st gear). These are thin rings machined into the input shaft

7. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

T-10's will usually have "T-10" cast on them somewehere.

Remeber, not every T-10 is a SUPER T-10 and not every Muncie is an M20, no matter what eBayer's seem to think.

Both of those transmissions are getting more expensive by the day, might bring you some good bucks to buy a modern OD manual trans.

Shawn

8. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Only Real way to tell if its a M22 is to take the cover off and check for the straight cut gears, if they are helical its a 21...

9. Let me add that "straight" cut gears are NOT actually straight. They are SLIGHTLY straighter than a conventional gear, and if you don't REALLY know what you're looking at you won't ba able to tell a 22 from a 20 or 21

10. Cool figured it out...it's an M-21....too bad I found out today it won't work with my cam...

11. squirrel

squirrel

huh, the M22s, I've seen have the big th400 size output shaft and fine spline input shaft, that's a pretty obvious way to tell them from the 20 and 21.