Register now to get rid of these ads!

the BEST thing at the Detroit Autorama

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Mar 12, 2007.

1. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

in the opinion of myself and Mr. Lesky at least. and it was still under construction. it was the modern interpritation of Harry Miller's Golden Submarine being built by Michigan's own Dan Webb. absolutely AMAZING design and craftsmanship. this is one of the cars i thought it might be cool to one day replicate (seeing as the original is long gone). glad to see the task of it's recreation (though not an exact replica) is in good hands.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dan's coupe and Ashley's (his daughter and fellow HAMBer) roadster.

[​IMG]

another of the best cars there (if you looked at it real close and checked out the build pics of it) was the Spencer2 that was actually started by Doane Spencer before his death. Denny Lesky said it best during our conversation when he said that this car was the culmination of everything Doane had learned, throughout his life, about building cars. wish i had better pics but i know Mongo got some.

[​IMG]

2. Rusty

Rusty

Thats wild, looks like he has got some good sponsors

3. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I agree 1000%! The new interpretation of Barney Oldfield's Golden Submarine is freaking OUTSTANDING and I'm glad I got to see it in person.

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

WOW!

That's a work of art.

Wonder if he will tackle the body? That will take a lot of work.

Rich

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I gotta kinda agree with you guys. I was fortunate enough to lend a hand in the early stages of this build. The original idea was a 2 single seat roadster. I'm glad to see it morphed into this. Harry Miller is one of Dan's biggest inspirations in his meticulous build style. And the Sub is one of his favorites. I hope he sees this post.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow... Now that's a contemporary hot rod I can dig on. Great detail work...

7. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

damm thats crazy..

8. banjorear

banjorear

Really amazing craftsmenship.

Can anyone tell me what are those drilled large diameter disc on each of the wheels? Is it some sort of outboard disc brake set-up?

Webb is certainly in a elite field of metal workers with a unique vision.

9. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I got a woody over the spencer car.. That was nice..
    Dave

10. ash

ash
    from Detroit

The body will be built by my father and Craig Naff.. Just like my car..
    and the brakes are handmade style kinda like custom motorcycle racing brakes...

11. BriggsBodied28

BriggsBodied28

I think this is CLEARLY proof that the other threads claiming that the '07 Autorama was lame were off the mark. I ALWAYS learn something by just looking and I ALWAYS meet somebody cool. Pretty good entertainment for $14 in my opinion.

12. beautiful work. does anyone have any photos of the golden submarine?

13. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Here's a link about the Golden Submarine. The original is gone but Buck Boudeman built a very good replica a number of years ago using some genuine Miller parts.

http://www.vintageracecars.com/sub.htm

Cheers,
    Kurt

14. I was just thinking the same thing after reading the other thread's, these photo's right here convience me other wise. What an impressive build, and I saw the Spencer car in parts at the GNRS and all I can say is WOW !

CBB

15. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I looked at everything at your display and your dad does some nice shit! I really like those dayton wires but they are out of my price range. They work well on all 3 rides..
    Dave

16. Bookz

Bookz

Maybe from the other forum that hates anything HAMB but a certain poster is a big wheel.

Your Dads work is grouse even if not the style I would personally want. Look forward to seeing the Miller project progress and hope you post pictures during the build

17. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

As I remember, one of the versions of the Golden Sub had the exhaust running through the firewall into the cockpit and out the tail of body. Probably won't be included on this version?

18. Clark

Clark

I stared at that for a good half hour. One of my favorites!
    Clark

19. Cshabang

Cshabang

unreal..just like most everything out of the WEBB shop...inspiration for me anyways..and a level of workmanship I hope to achieve...

20. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

That's nuckin futs!

21. mobile chicane

mobile chicane

Hey Nate - how soon do we get to see your sketch of the Golden Submarine?

22. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

That chassis was amazing, It reminds me of the early Miller cars, the pics of what they are going for are equally as cool.

23. lexistars

lexistars
    from Fontana

Geez that spencer car sure is pretty

24. superleggera

superleggera

I'm glad Dan Webb is out there building cars like these! No rules, no limits -- and definitely not belly button style either.

After seeing the pics above (and others) from the Autorama show, it has inspired me again to finish the CAD drawings for a modern interpretation of the Frank Lockhart Daytona Stutz racer.

25. The craftsmanship on all the rolling works of art from the Webb's are inspirational.Thank you Ashley,for quieting the so called "information experts".Your ride is a great combination,of modern tech and traditional style,thanks for sharing.

26. McKee

McKee

I saw the re-creation of the Golden Submarine a couple of years ago at the Meadowbrook Concours, beautifully made and deceptively small in the flesh. If anybody can do justice to a modern version of it, it'll be Dan Webb. Check out the twin steering arm setup, somewhat like the fighter plane inspired Deuce that Foose built.

Attached Files:

27. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i did not know that. thanks for the info.

28. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

DO IT!!! i would LOVE to see that.

29. Man, it would be hard to do it justice.. it's such a cool car.

30. ash

ash
    from Detroit

yea it will but not the firewall