Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trucks: Going Fenderless (opinions?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I've sort of been thinking about building an open wheeled pickup/truck instead of the T-bucket I was contemplating. I kind of have a picture in my head about what I am thinking, but thought I'd ask for your opinions. When I'm through, (if my 15 y/o son helps), I may wind up making it his.

Anyway, I've been thinking of a frame off resto on an 30s-50s Ford. Add discs up front, possibly an air ride type setup, later model (possibly disc) rear end, paint the frame and suspension a monocolor to contrast the body. Add a 3.8/auto out of a dead cat (89 cougar) - add a custom intake and possibly the IRS out of the back of the dead cat.

Drop it hard - add a frame notch if necessary in the rear - run a set of 18"s (have a hookup on these). I was thinking of a satin type finish and then just drive the crap out of it.

Was thinking silver or grey on the frame and suspension, and OD Green on the remaining body componenets. Possibly using some of the dummy/practice bombs for fuel and/or air tanks.

Thoughts? Opinions? Death threats?

2. http://www.cenpen.com/traditionalair.htm
    If you want airride on a straight axle front end that is almost invisible try the link above. Are you talking 18" old Ford wires, or billet aluminum?:(
    The rest of the stuff sounds a little "rat rod", no offense. Just my opinion, I'm sure you will get many more.

3. Build what you like, but since you asked for opinions, most of your design ideas are not in the spirit of this forum.

4. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

sounds like a good idea (not to much along the lines of traditional tho)

we gettin ready to take on a project for a long time repeat customer, gonna call it "The 40 Whatzit"
    starting with a 40 chev pickup body
    severely chopped and kustomized (adding body lines, shaved firewall, split back window out of and international p.u, shaved door handles & drip rails, 40's dodge pickup dash, v - butt windshield and stock 40 chev p.u visor )

severly dropped frame w/ suicide ford or tube axle, zed rearend, homebuilt bed w/ chopped and sectioned dodge p.u tailgate , bagged in the rear, wide white on polished torq thrust, Dodge 318 w/ 2 or 3 duece setup and a set of Outlaws Kustom Headers, & some off the wall grill (chev/ international, maybe even Outlaws Kustom Built)

thats all i wanna let out for now but it is gonna be bad with a capital B

Keep an eye on the website
    www.saoutlawsrodandkustom.com
    for the updates

5. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I'm not much on the bright and shiny things, but I was thinking billet because of the cost involved. However, I would probably have them powdercoated to match whatever colors I went with. I can get a brand new set from my brother in law for $50-75 each. His family bought 3 shipping containers full of them and would be able to make me a helluva deal. So, you can see my thought on these.

6. he said the "B" word!:p

7. Have you considered trading them to a street rodder? Those guys will give away old parts because they aren't "high tech" enough. As far as cost, steel wheels are dirt, dirt cheap, and I have bought a bunch of torq-thrust copies and aluminum slots for that price. I wouldn't put a $1000 "bling-bling" wheel on my car if you paid me. It doesn't matter how cheap something is if it ain't right.

8. Barz51

Barz51

He is talking about running IFS and possible IRS on a fenderless truck from the 40's or 50's with a late 80's ford V6 (I assume without a hood).

No one is going to notice the wheels.

9. haring

haring

"BARF"?

The truck described above sound like just about everything I hate, so if that's the intent ... go for it!

Just don't show us here, because it doesn't represent any of the principles of the HAMB.

And that's the truth, Bruth.

10. ...somebody who lives close to this guy, go beat some sense into him!

11. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

HAHAHAHA!!

12. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

barz i think you "nailed" it.great line

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

If your going to build a fenderless truck, do it something along the lines as one of these....and don't use a late-model V6, they suck.

Attached Files:

14. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I was figuring it would look similar to this one if I did it. And the only reason I'd use the V6 is because I paid $50 for the entire car from which I'd get it. I know they've got some goofy looking 'parts' on top of them, but I've got an idea for a tunnel ram type upper plenum (sp?) that would convert it to a carb setup.

I am planning this as a daily driven project with the idea of driving it all but a few days of the year. As I said, it may wind up with my 15 y/o son as I know he likes cars/trucks similar to this. Eventually, when I have more room, I will be build something more of along the lines of something show-worthy. Until then, this is what I've been thinking.

15. What you're getting crap for is your choice of non-traditional parts and ideas. This forum is for TRADITIONAL vehicles. It does NOT have to be show worthy, but your choice of parts is definitely not traditional.

In the words of our fearless leader Ryan:

"The HAMB is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms to hoodlums world wide. That’s right – TRADITIONAL. And we aren’t talking Beach Boys and poodle skirts here fellas. If you are into a-side 50’s pop, lawn chairs, ruler contests, and all things that make hot rodding warm and cozy then you might want to find another message board. If you aren’t sure what we mean by “traditional”, then you might think twice as well. If you’ve come here to set a rep, talk some shit, and make some fun then you had better turn around right now. We aren't patient."

Read A LOT to know what it means if you are unsure. Get the vision in your head before you go talking about IFS and late-model V-6's. You'll have some ball-busting for off-topic stuff, or non-traditional posts, but if you learn quietly what to say and what not to say, you'll be OK. Take it from me, I've learned the hard way. Read the Jalopy Journal portion of the site at the top of the page, and you might get the idea. Just trying to help.

16. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Ok...few things to think about here.

I personally wouldn't use any cab past about '47. And they Look somewhat goofy even then. Pre-War Cabs are the best...usually. Once they gained fat fenders or started getting "taller" they look bulky and a little stupid fenderless.

IFS...nah...just get a straight/beam/solid axle. This would probably come with whatever kind of truck you buy. Problem is getting brakes. Most people on here get kinda pissed when you mention Discs...but...y'know...dosn't really matter.

IRS...thats a no also. Too expensive and clunky...definetly not for anything on a budget.

Course...I'm not exactly thinking about going all-out "Traditional" either. Seeing as though I'm using an retired log/tow/dump truck '37 Cab, and I picked up a pretty much free F-1 rolling chassis (which...looks alot better than tube-stock to me, and who cares about paralell leafs?), considering I've seen a few fenderless cars built "back in the day" using late 30's car frames...its nothing new. And its cheap.

But IFS, 50's Cabs, "Space Junk" V6's, that all falls into the "Rat Rod" style/category.

17. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

The reason I asked opinions about things I was THINKING about doing, was to attain constructive critisism about different ideas. Yes, I can "see" the ideas I'm talking about in my head, but the thing I was having trouble with was how they would truly look and perform. Which, as I said, was why I posted the idea I had in my head. Perhaps it was on the 'rat-roddish' style, but as I also said, I'm looking at different ideas and how things go about getting started.

Trust me, the last thing I want to do is jump in here (as I've been accused of doing) and act like an ass and bring in attitude and shit-talking to posters here, many of whom I hope to share similar ideas and thoughts with, and possibly, eventually consider as friends.

As I have been sharing ideas and thoughts, I've been trying to iron out different details and design flaws, along with the "proverbial no-no's" of design. I'll be the absolute first to say that I don't know it all, and that I know more than enough to get myself into a world of deep shit as well. On the other hand, I have also seen many things I can think of sharing through similar experiences that I see here. This is also one of the reasons why I am here.

I'll also admit that I've been waffling over what I actually want to build. I started with the idea of a T-bucket since I planned to do a low-buck approach and hopefully have a driver within a year - something fun and just available to beat the hell out of for no other reason that the fact that I could. I started doing research for that project, and have found that most of the bodies (through VERY helpful posts here on the HAMB about user's experiences) are weak, and need reinforcing. Also that even with the stretched buckets legroom is at a premium. I am 6'3" and have a 36" inseam, so legroom is extremely important to me. I then flip-flopped with the idea of this fenderless beast creation. In retrospect, and in the virtue of this forum, it is a relatively bad choice. However, I am going to broach the subject to my son, and if he wants one built that way, he will have just that. I have decided to go an entirely different route all my own now, and want no business with the proposed rat-rod truck.

What I have decided on is a 28-34 (not sure if the cab changed in 35) Ford Model AA style truck. I had seen one in the past, but had never looked at and/or appreciated the lines of such a cab. I have been looking at them extensively now since I found one on eBay the other day. I love the design and look, as well as the blend between having fenders in the front and none in the rear. I also think the length of the wheelbase would lend itself to a smoother ride, and I would also take steps to ensure the ride would be MUCH softer than the stock 10-15 leaf pack in the rear. I like the idea of having six narrow tires on the truck, with duals in the rear. I would update the front suspension - and possibly add disc brakes. I have never driven one like this with drum brakes up front, so I don't know how it would stop. When it comes time, I'll have to make a judgement call. I think the stock frame would look interesting detailed and displayed properly on this truck, with a custom wooden flatbed. How long of a bed, I don't know. Will just have to wait and see when it comes time to put it on.

In the end, everyone has their opinion, and is completely entitled to it. I have opened myself up to having my ass chewed here with my thoughts and ideas, and don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining as I did ask for it. However, this is a public forum, and unless I'm mistaken, we all have the privilege of posting and sharing ideas with each other. Those individuals with "elitist" views should be the ones who need to step back and take a look at themselves before they look down their noses at someone or their ideas. I have seen MANY vehicles in this forum which I personally do not much care for, but can very much appreciate what the owner/builder created. I don't mean to step on toes, nor am I pointing my finger at anyone in particular.

Several members have given me wonderful and guiding advice at the same time as their constructive criticism and this went a long way towards helping change my thought process - both publicly and privately. To you all, I thank you for your thoughts, critisisms, and inspirational advice. It has not fallen upon deaf ears.

End of rant.

18. Barz51

Barz51

Hey Greg, check this out. This would be cool and pretty handy. He restored this truck, for the most part, but modified the bed they way he wanted it. You could keep a stock looking truck and modify it so it drove and worked better. It would be a blast to have something so unique and also usable.
    http://www3.telus.net/earthone/1936ihc.html

19. Haywood

Haywood
    from M'boro,TN

Hey GR, you handled that rather well.....good job. Two things to remember about this forum. There are certain words that you can post in a thread that send up a red flag no matter how well intended they were. The thread will go down hil from there. That just seems to be a fact of life I guess.
    Random thought 2.0, some would be of the opinion that in order to be "traditional" you have to follow a formula (this part +that part+ a whole bunch of grunt work=hot rod) and then guys like Plowboy and Sellers, and others, go completely outside the proverbial box and build something cool in a different way. In other words, if you go outside the norm you better go all out.
    Sounds like you have a great source for cheap parts. Like someone else said, sale those parts to someone who has deep pockets and then you can buy the goodies you want instead of trying to throw a bunch of orphan parts together.

Just my 2 cents, Butch

20. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I Say Build It They Way You Said ...exactally The Way You Said!

The More Of These Abortion's That Are Built ......

The Better My Shit Looks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Barz, that '36 International is a very slick truck, and is something very much along the lines of what I now have in mind. I like the idea of a dump bed, especially with what I have in mind for the wood and finish of the bed.

Anyway, on with my build.

22. 47bob

47bob

...Well I really like some of the fenderless pickups that I have been seeing here on the hamb but I sure as hell don't remember seeing any in the '50s and '60s Somebody please tell me just when this concept came into being so I can consider them traditional too. .....Bob

23. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

de soto,classic,great line

24. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Yes...nothing past early-mid 30's was usually "de-fendered" in the "traditional" era.

Still...you got to have some aesthetics.

25. DollaBill

DollaBill

My attempt at incorporating traditional styling into a non-traditional vehicle, in this case a '47 Chevy pickup. This will have no fenders, a bed, bias ply whitewalls, and semi-shiny paint.

(old pics, new ones shortly)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Hey Bill,

Personally, I think you've got a winner. I think that will look very interesting when it is complete, and you will turn many heads. Have fun with it and thanks for showing me another vision of this type of vehicle.

Also, the cutouts on your rear frame look sweet as hell! Make sure you show us some pictures whenever you are through with it!

27. ...and they say that 40's trucks can't look cool without fenders...

That's bad-ass!

28. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Thats pretty well done.

But most of the ones I'm talking about...they don't really resemble in shape/form anything like a well proportioned fenderless vehicle.

29. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

hers my truck,i built it before i ever heard of the Hamb or any other message board.I was just useing up abunch of parts. I had an idea and followed through with it.Now that i have all this quote/unquote knowledge i probaly would not have went this route but i'm glad i did.The truck drives good and it's more fun than any vehicle i've owned. It was my first build and i have no regrets it was what i could afford,under 4 grand and built in my garage with help from good friends.Thats what it's all abouthttp:// fronthttp://[​IMG][​IMG]

30. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

That's slick as all get out! And complete for under $4K? Awesome!