Register now to get rid of these ads!

So where to get electrical connectors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROADRAT EDDIE, Mar 2, 2007.

1. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

The male/female blocks with between 10-20 pins in them....Would make removing a body much simpler if every wire in the cab was bundled into one connector that disconnected

2. Missing Link

Missing Link

Radio Shack and/or Napa

3. specialk

specialk

Radio Shack for electrical stuff (ha ha)

This is not to dis you by the way, it's just that RS has so turned to shit in the last 10 years. They need to change their name to 'Totally Fucking Annoying Employees'. It would be far more descriptiive of their purpose in life

4. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Depending upon whether you are concerned about how pretty it looks, you might be able to find a male and female plug similar to what you are wanting in a salvage yard or an old junk car. Think about most cars that have an engine harness where when you remove the engine you just unplug it.

I know the 97 Dodge intrepid I had used 3 separate ones for the engine and transmission - each with 10-15 or so wires on each plug.

Might be the low buck method - yanno?

5. rodknocker

rodknocker

my 99 ford ranger has a good sized connecter right near the brake master cylinder that would be easy to snip out at a junkyard,probably 20+ pins

6. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Yeah, that's probably the route i'll go

7. Big Pete

Big Pete

I make money do'ing this stuff, the problem is the crimping tool always necessary for those lab coat hi tech harness'es always seem to run over 300 bucks or so.
    If your serious PM and I'll send some pictures and direction.

8. 2manybillz

2manybillz

These guys in Nebraska have a mountain of electrical stuff that can be used in cars. I've bought parts for amps from them - seem OK to deal with.

http://www.surplussales.com/index.html

I've also stripped connectors and harnesses from the junkyard.

9. chumly2071

chumly2071

10. Couple of nine-pole trailer connectors.

11. 59NASH

59NASH

I do this at work as well. The company has the crimpers and such, but I wanted a set of my own. I looked on ebay and found a pair of crimpers that were used in the aircraft industry, 12 bucks to my door. If i bought one through the company, Caterpillar, it would have been close to $400.

12. 4tford

4tford

Try www.painlesswiring.com in there connector and pigtail section they have sealed and unsealed connectors.

13. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

I always called them a bulkhead connector.

14. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

15. kwiksilver

kwiksilver

We call them Molexes. Car stereo shops and van conversion shops. Car stereo harnesses came in male and female versions. or get the radio end and cut the other end out of a car. steering column plugs have an ass of wires. maybe that helps

16. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I have done electrical for almost 35 years--I have done the disconnect thing forever--a great way to go,but you're better off breaking it down into 2--3--or 4 plugs. It's easier to trouble-shoot this way and you can seperate different curcuits like lighting--front to rear--engine--etc. I have used Del City stuff for a lot of years ---great stuff and they sell in small amounts to average guys like us.

www.delcity.net

17. skele4door

skele4door
    from Dallas

If you have a Fry's locally, head up there and check out what they have. I picked up some nice cheap unsealed connectors that aren't so small that they are impossible to assemble. If you need something sealed then I've had good luck with Delphi Weatherpack connectors. You can get a reasonably priced kit that has everything you need to make OEM quality connections (minus the crimpers) at the link below.

http://www.ledfoote.com/osc/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=76&reviews_id=5

18. heinz

heinz
    from CA

I used connectors similar to what you are looking for from McMaster Carr. Used them for an ignition module on a bike years ago. Check them out at http://www.mcmaster.com/. They have a pretty good variety of configurations and materials.

19. Mozes

Mozes

Use Trailer Plugs, Watertight And Inexpensive, Get Em At Autozone Or Napa, Like 5 Bux Man.

20. Kustomz

Kustomz

Go to everyones favorite auction site and search for cannon connectors. They come in a variety of pins and are military grade stuff. Might just work good for your project.

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Old thread, new question: I'm tired of buying cheap crimp connectors from Radio Shack or the auto parts store. Where's the best place to buy quality (brass?) connectors in bulk?

22. stimpy

stimpy

23. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

24. jwray

jwray
    from Omaha, Ne

25. OldFord39

OldFord39
    from Monroe, Wi

26. I'm fond of late 80s early 90s ford connectors. I go to the salvage yard (ask permission) and cut out mating sets and leave 4-6" pigtails on them. When I am wiring up a vehicle, I just splice the wires by stripping and twisting the 2 together then solder and cover with the shrink tube that has hot melt glue inside. I've never had a failure, but it is time consuming. At the price of good store bought stuff, I can afford to loose some time.
    Right now I have 2 5 gallon buckets full of all different sizes, I figure they are worth $1 per pair of pins.