Register now to get rid of these ads!

motley crue got nothin' on us, it's the (early) MONTHLY BANGER meeting!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Feb 28, 2007.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Time to do this early, being as it is a short month and all.

It has been a long month, lots of entertainment, and wrenching some kick ass 4 holers.

Then there is the incident of this car...and yes it is powered by a 200hp 4 banger! anyone care to guess what it is...;)

[​IMG]

2. Mercedes.

3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

nope...

[​IMG]

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Wow! Band-type friction shocks! That's something I never even thought of before seeing that picture!

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I was going to do a new thread on this subject
    but maybe i should post here

does anyone have any experience with reversing the cam in an A or B engine
    i read about the "reverse cam cragar"
    it quoted someone saying "it really wakes them up"
    they reverse the cam and run the 4 exhaust ports as intake ports and the 2 intakes for exhaust
    just wondering if anyone knows any more about this...and how hard it would be to accomplish
    doesnt really seem too bad in my head...but is it worth the effort?
    Zach

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some more...think real early LSR and barnstorming...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old Model T trick, the down side is the lack of cooling passages around the intake ports, the ports tend to crack.

Now, if you hogged the ports way out (in an effort to limit exhast back pressure) it may help. This may work very well on a T, I dont know how effective it would be to port an A.

Also Miller build a SOHC conversion for model A's, using the existing exhaust and intake ports in the block as exhaust ports and it suffered from the same port cracking issue.

8. Finally got my pictons and rods.

Mmmm, total over kill....

[​IMG]

Because I got my pistons I could now have the block overbored. They were bored .125 thou over (4" bore) and I then had the block pressure tested and ultrasonic tested!

Under pressure testing the bores and block were pefect but it was leaking from 3 exhaust seats oddly?!?
    These seats have been in for years so the problem must have always been there and has only showed up under pressure.

The ultrasonic test is interesting. The bore is split into four areas, front, back, valve side, other side. Them four sections are then split up into top, bottom, and centre. A measuremeant of the cylinder wall is taken in each position.
    Basically to cut a long story short, all the bores checked out good with the centre front of no.1 cylinder being the thinest section out of the four bores.

The block has been ceramic sealed from the inside to repair the leaky exhaust seats. Only time will tell if its successfull.

I've also had an old Offy breather adapted to the side plate to try and combat the cronic breathing problems.

[​IMG]

fur biscuit likes this.
  9. Benz!

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

purty!!! so how about the who, what, where on these very tasty looking items.

11. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Zach, I actually have a reverse winfield cam that has never been run. I got it with a bunch of other parts, and I am thinking about building up a flathead to run it. I have heard about the heat cracking problems, but I think it would be good for short run racing, ie. El Mirage or drags.

12. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i guess the heat would be the biggest factor to worry about
    I've been drawing diagrams to decifer how it would affect the flow of the intake and exhaust
    having the original winfield is pretty cool though...are the specs exactly the same just reversed 180 degrees?
    my friend Bill ran a SOC miller head on his motor with the 6 exhaust ports...he never mentioned cracking problems but i'll have to ask him about that
    i know he took it back off and went back to a 10-1 winfield black head which i didnt know existed
    i guess a cross flow 4 port is probably the best solution for all around all out power
    theres just something about sticking with a flathead though

13. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

hey hangin in there collecting parts rpu build still in my mind and pile of parts in garage
    I bought an ardun overhead and need a fix on the dizzy/magneto issue no hole in head for anything
    hoping some one reading this will have suggestion print parts??
    thanks
    Luv this meeting
    Ken

14. The pistons are basically small block Chev but tweaked here and there to be a copy of the Model 'A'.
    They came from John at Pete's Auto Machine.

The rods are Crower. It was a complete nightmare to get a set. Dan Price sold out, Sac. Vintage Ford sold out, Jay Steel sold out of both these and his own version, Dan McEachern sold out!

Eventually Crower made a new batch and I got my set through Dan Price.

All I can say is there must be alot of hot fours being built at the moment!

15. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Nice rods, Clark. I'm glad I haven't got your credit card bill next month!
    Mine is pretty much back together now. I'm just ironing out one or two issues with the Volvo clutch that I've adapted to my lightened A flywheel, though hopefully that'll be sorted out and working nicely by the end on the weekend. Should be pretty much ready to drop back into the coupe after that.
    [​IMG]
    Also took delivery of the open drive kit from Hot Rod Works, and I can't praise it enough. It's a quality piece of equipment.
    [​IMG]

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

Oh yeah baby....

Oops sorry, I thought it said Monthly Bang-Her Meeting.

17. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

I just acquired my first banger, so I will be insome heavy research over the coming months. I would like to build a 100HP daily driver! Is this possible and is there the possibility of more and more dependable HP????

18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

well bangers are notorious for leaking lots of lubricant...

19. Its ok, two Dollars to the Pound!

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

OK OK! You got my attention!!!!! There are 4 or more Blitzen Benz that were built and one that was parted out and bits wound up on other cars. What is the history of the one in the photo? Who has it & were? :)

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wouldn't want to spill the beans, we'll see if anyone else on here is up on this car...;)

I'll post a bunch of pictures of it later.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

That's Larry Beals in a Hisso powered racer that had the original radiator from one of the Blitzen Benz cars that was broken up for parts. The tansmission wound up in the Perry Thomas LSR car Babs.

23. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I know. I'm popping over there next month with an empty suitcase :D

24. Heres a late development.

I just got this intake set-up.

Will this be to much carb for a mild banger?

[​IMG]

25. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Dunno. Looks the bollocks though. Seen tri-carbs used on OHV bangers (one of Brent's possibly?)
    I've always liked the idea of an odd number of carbs on any engine.

26. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you mean this thing?

[​IMG]

27. TV

TV

Getting back to switching the cam, I've gone at it another way. I machined an A block for 4 intake ports and made cast Iron sleeves and fitted them. I searched long and hard for a welder that could weld it. Found one in Tacoma Washington. He is furnace welding it and has done a lot lot of them. I haven't picked it up yet so I don't have any pics, but he told me it came out great and pressure tested fine. I'll post pics as soon as I get some--TV

28. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Definitely interested in seeing some pics of that, TV.

29. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Back to a lot of "he said/she said" regarding the cracking. Another way to do it is to put a timing chain on it and use a stock-rotation cam.

30. TV

TV

Brent, is that something you have done? Sounds interesting, don't think it would take that much work to make that happen? And I suppose if ya only raced it short runs it might hold up. Thats if ya didn't choke the snot out of the exhaust? Just some thoughts on my part.--TV