Register now to get rid of these ads!

EZ wiring harness....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cwatson1953, Feb 26, 2007.

1. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

ok, i know this has been done many times...but i need some advice on EZ wiring harness's.

first off, this is for my '53 chevy 210. it will be pretty basic to start, all the origianl things will be left on it...the only thing i'm going to add is a radio...NOT a "system", just a normal radio with normal speakers...nothing crazy.
    the only other thing that may get added down the road will be airbags on the back.

my question is...my my application what would you suggest i use?
    i'm ok with electrical stuff, but its not my "thing" per say.

on their website they have 4 different kits listed...
    what would you suggest...
    (the car will never have power accessories (windows, seats, antenna ect.) so i fell the 20 and 21 kits are overkill for me...)

EZ 21 (18 fuses, 21 circuits, will wire almost anything)

EZ 12 (12 circuit kit for basic street rod applications)

EZ Mini 20 (20 circuit kit with mini fuses and fuse panel)

EZ Mini 12 (12 circuit kit with mini fuses and fuse panel)

2. Dino

Dino

Don't get an EZ. It's a piece of shit. Go with Painless, AA, or one of the others. I have used one EZ harness and I will never do so again.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  3. 53burb

53burb

I just wired my car with the EZ kit. No problems at all and is pretty straight forward to install. KNUX!

4. CrazyD

CrazyD

American Auto Wire is a good product I used, Very good large colored plans, diagrams, build in relays, Never liked the EZ because the harness is made up already in the fuse panel, nothing but a spaghetti mess!! They have separate harness for the gauges with a quick disconnect, makes things very clean and you only use what your car needs and can eliminate all the other BS

My .02

5. HIDDEN

HIDDEN

I got the EZ 20 mini. I would sugest the EZ 12. The mini does not have any of the relays mounted. You have to tie them up under the dash. In the EZ 12 they are in the fusebox. Also there was way too much junk in the 20 circuit kits. I had no use for PW. PD. 3rd brake light, power antana, and a ton of other junk. 1/2 the harness is capped off. Also you might want to go to Painless' website and download their instructions. 100X better than ez wire's. Just my $.02

6. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

cool! thanks alot guys!

7. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

were a ez wiring dealer
    on my 54 i used a 12 blade mini

8. old beet

old beet

I used a EZ on my 49 Merc, No problems, I like it.......OLDBEET

9. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

ive probably installed 10 ez wiring kits in the past few years, never had a problem. they are cheap and easy to obtain/install.

Hot Rod Nut likes this.
  10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I use EZ wire kits on all my cars, Never had a problem, Easy to fit and decent price. I would use a 12 circuit.

Steve.

11. ratstar

ratstar

I like my EZ in my truck.

12. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

I'm in the middle of installing an EZ in my truck. I've got the mini 20, the 12 should be good for what you want. To make in go in a little nicer, and make the end result look neater I got some sleeving for the wire and grouped the wires together before I installed them. I group all my headlight, horn, and front signal wires together and sleeved them. Did the same with the tail lights, rear signals and fuel sender. Then I grouped all the wires running to then engine together and sleeved them. It took some time but simplified the install and cleaned up the exposed wires.

This is my second EZ, I installed one in my bro-in-law's Nova a while back. I've installed a painless before and there is no real advantage unless you get a painless kit for your exact application. Then it will have all the correct fittings, EZ takes a little more work on your part to make fit. But a little extra effort is worth the savings for me.

13. I used the ez mini 20 on my shoebox and had no problems. Any questions I had the customer service answered them very quickly and knew what they were talking about. The guy even suggested a part i needed but told me to buy it from somebody else because it was cheaper than they had it for.

14. To address the rest of your questions, all harnesses, regardless of how many circuits you need, will have what you need for your stereo. You could probably find a way to run your switches for your valves through it, but I suggest doing that separately as I haven't seen one specifically for that setup and it's probably easier to keep track of anyway.

Another suggestion...make a diagram of your turn signal switch and your headlight switch with the accompanying connections. Even the kits with good documentation still treat those areas in a general matter rather than specific to your application. I say this because twice this month I've helped friends with EZ wire kits and those are the main stumbling points.

Bryan

15. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

thanks man! fortunatley, i do have a buddy of mine thats an electrical wiz kid! i'm sure i'll be buying him some beer! hehe.
    thanks again for the input!

16. El Zilcho

El Zilcho
    from Austin, TX

i installed an EZ with little to know issues....my main issue was the Front Left Turn and the Left Brake/Turn wire were switched at the column.

17. haha...small price to pay! Sounds like you're in good shape.

Bryan

18. I like Painless as well. You'll need the most basic one they offer for your car. It's easy, good quality, GM color codes, and a ton of useable leftover wire as a bonus

19. I recently installed an EZ kit in my '50 Plymouth and it was truly easy! It took a combined 10 hours over 2 weekends with no hassles, and everything works great now. And I'm no electric wizard either!

20. I just wired up my Dodge with a Bare Bonz kit from Ron Francis Wiring. I can't believe how easy it was. Awesome quality. I am 100% satisfied. Check it out. http://ronfranciswiring.com/

21. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

The EZ harness looks like all the other generic offerings that litter Ebay and the like.

Another option is the one from Hot Rod Wires. They're a Texas company, and look to make a good product, and the folks that run it are super nice.

http://www.hotrodwires.com/about.html

I'll probably be installing one of their harnesses in my next project.

Painless makes quality stuff, there's no arguing that. Centech does also. The Ron Francis stuff is good quality, but I hate how it turns out looking like a high school science project.

Rewiring isn't quite as scary as it first seems when you open up the box. Lay everything out on the floor, label what you already have, and take the time to identify what does what before carefully removing it, then the install can be no more complicated than referencing your Excel spreadsheet sitting on the workbench.

22. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

I know this is an old thread but I want to put in my 2 cents about EZ Wire incase someone trips across this looking for advise. I've installed 10+ EZ Wires in everything from 48 Fords to 68 Chargers. I've never had any issues with their kits...yes, you have to have knowledge of automotive wiring as their instructions don't exactly "hold your hand" for noobies, but if you don't have enough smarts to figure it out you probably shouldn't be messing with wiring. If you are using an EZ Wire with OEM switches, do a search online for a wiring diagram for your car for wire locations on the switches. I've always found what I needed through a Google search through images.
    For the money...EZ Wire can't be beat.

23. Bob Labla

Bob Labla
    from mitten

I was looking around for better instructions, and noticed the Speedway site had a PDF file that seems to be the same harness, but with much more detail.

24. I'm going with a Kwik Wire harness for my Ford, 14 circuits. On their site, I was able to print the instructions which seemed to be quite good.

bradshaw likes this.
  25. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Gettin ready to do my 3rd ez harness. I did 2 of the 12 circuit standard kits and they were a breeze. My 3rd one is the 12 circuit mini and it should be the same other tjan the size of the fuse block

26. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

EZ 12 is a good harness. Everyone has their preference, but they're all just basic wires and fuses.

27. I hope the OP has their car wired by now. I'm the only idiot that takes 10 years to build a car.

Randall, bobss396 and The37Kid like this.
  28. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Gotcha beat Big A. I ordered my wiring harness during the 13th year of construction!!!

29. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

I would use them again worked grate for me

30. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Have you guys used the mini fuse block? 1489284935737-1046772225.jpg 1489284974556-1023841326.jpg 1489285040176477967022.jpg it definitely mounts different than the standard. Just looking for some mounting advice before I make it work.