Register now to get rid of these ads!

This sure ruined my day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54BOMB, Feb 23, 2007.

1. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Sometimes stuff happens fast, before you can really think about whats happening. I was driving down my block, about 20 mph, carb backfired ( not a normal thing for this car ) stalled, I cranked and cranked as I coasted to a stop and then it all got crazy, paint on the hood started to bubble, and it just took off from there. I just had to call 911 and get out of the way. Im not too sure what exactly happened but ,man, fire is some scary shit when its right in from of you.

Attached Files:

2. Big Nick

Big Nick

back fire through the carb, you pumpping it probably just fed it. Same thing happened to me years ago in my Fairlane. Mine didnt get that far but I know the feeling.

3. Square One

Square One

Dude, I send my best to you and the car. That would ruin anyone's day. Hope all turns for the best.

4. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Do you carry a Halon fire extinguisher in the car?....Bet you will now

That sucks.........

5. 55kustomline

55kustomline

its just a good thing you got ou t of there man

6. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

Damn, that sucks.

7. Oh shit! :eek: I'm really sorry to see that, especially since you just got the bodywork and primer looking so good :( Glad you're ok...fire's some scary stuff.

Bryan

8. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Fire damage is messy but not that hard to clean up. Looks like what you have is very savable. I used to hate fire jobs when I was in the body shop, but other than being a dirty mess, they usualy are not hard to save.
    Best of luck and glad you weren't hurt.

GV

9. colorado51

colorado51

Damn, that REALLY sucks!

How long did it burn before they put it out?

10. john56h

john56h

Geeze....sorry for your rotten luck.

I hope you can repair it. If the roof is too buckled from heat....maybe a phaeton is in your future.

Also, were you running an air cleaner?

11. Tin Can

Tin Can

Sorry to see that. Ive had that happen before in my old shoebox, not near that bad though, jsst some wires. Its good that you are OK!!!!!

12. repoguy

repoguy

Unfortunately most people have to learn the hard way that carrying a fire extinguisher in any older car is a good idea.

Sorry about your luck man.

13. the duke

the duke

sorry to see this happen to your car, but your ok so thats good, best luck

14. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Damn Brett, I'm really sorrow to see this. I hope that the roof is not too bad off. I'm sure the hood is buckled, but you can find another hood fairly easy.

Edit: Hopefully it goes without saying that at least you are okay. The car can be fixed, or replaced. Good that nobody was hurt.

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Were you recently working on the fuel system of this car?

From your description, I could see a disconnected fuel line, car starts with fuel in the bowl while fuel is spraying all over the engine compartment. Car burps when it finally is critically lean, car erupts in fire...

Man, I'm SO SORRY to hear about that, looks like it was progressing nicely. Take care.

16. LasVegasDirtyBird

LasVegasDirtyBird
    from las vegas

wow man im sorry to see that i hope you can get it all back to where it should be. it's good that your ok though. fire is scary i had a fire in an old old blazer/desert toy i have it melted the passanger seat and i was doing about 80mph in the desert when it hapened i just slowed it down to a roll and got out and let it burn...it did alot of damage but it's just a dirt toy i dont care what it loks like. it's terrible that it happened to a gorgeous car though man ...that will make for a shitty day

17. Back when I was restoring Corvettes I had a customer lose his 435/427 4-speed due to fire. He had the car since 68 and only had liability insurance on it at the time of the fire. Guys, please carry a fire extinguisher because it might not be your ride thats on fire, it may be your friends ride thats burning..

18. Gigantor

Gigantor

Shedding a tear for your car. I'm glad to hear you are okay - let us know if you'll be able to slavage her. Maybe there's a few parts we could spare to bring a phoenix back to life?

19. FrankBen777

FrankBen777

Damn! Been there too and I can atest to the absoltule heart-break and feeling of helplessness! My fire was on 183! One dude stopped to help....others honked! Really sorry, but don't sell her like I did mine!

Frank in Austin

20. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Send me your Addr. I have a '54 speedo and some other stuff you can have. I might have some extra fenders in storage. I'll dig up whatever I can.

21. wvenfield

wvenfield

Wow, hate to see that when I'm driving the same car. Off to get an extinguisher.

22. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

that sucks, been there. do you have full coverage on your insurance?

23. 54BOMB

54BOMB

My theory on what happend was, the carb backfired, the elect fuel pump kept on pushing, and it was burning while I was slowing to a stop. It just continued to burn. What went wrong in the carb, I dont know.I try to keep things in working order and I didnt have a $5 junk yard carb on it. I had some quality fuel line and I hadnt taken off the fuel lines recently. I mounted a fire extinguisher in the garage, but I didnt have one in the car. The insurance company will be out monday to start sorting though the claim. Fingers crossed thats not a battle.

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:( That makes me sad! :( Sorry to see that happened man! I would cry if I had to stand there and just let it happen.

Think I will be carrying a fire extinguisher with me in my cars.

25. Steve

Steve

fuck man glad to hear your ok.

26. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Damn, that sucks. Fortunately its only metal.

Several times I have seen an electric fuel pump bbq a car. A relay attached to an oil pressure sender is good insurance, as is a fire extinguisher.

27. tooslow54

tooslow54

I've also got some left over parts from my 54 Bel Air 4dr. Let us know (here or a PM) what you are gonna need and if I have anything you're looking for it'll be yours.

Real sorry to see that. Fire is a nasty bitch.

28. holy crap!!!!:eek: hope all works out for you

29. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

thats a hell of a way to start a weekend! glad to hear you're ok. i had a few wires catch on fire in my 52 plymouth, and fourtunately i did have an extinguisher. it was a dry chemical type, and a p.i.t.a to clean up, but i was sure thankful i had one. best of luck, dont take any crap from those insurance guys!

30. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I have some 53 chevy stuff ,let me know if they can help