Register now to get rid of these ads!

BARE MINIMUM for V8 swap into an A chassis?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I've got a little book at home that tells how to make an A-V8 useing all ford parts. Upgrading to juice brakes, drivetrain, crossmember/pedal issues etc. The stock steering needs to be moved to the left as it JUST hits the rear corner of the head on a flatty and they reccomend going to a later/better box anyway. Can't remember the book's name right offhand, but it's been around since the 50's and you see it at about every good swap meet. It's a little home printed, stapled together paperback thing with a red cover. Sells for around 5 bucks. Bare bones A-V8 swap as you can get.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That's California Bill Fisher's Ford Speed Manual, I believe

3. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

As far as the steering I have the motor offset 1 inch in order for the flatty to clear the steeringbox.. I had the stock manifold on and thought headers would help clear better "not". But I am going to go with the headers for the noise! Does anyone have stock steering with flathead in it, any shots of this?
    thanks John

4. rodrelic

rodrelic

I used all 37 running gear and axles steering.
    49 pickup pedals
    46 car X member

Link to chassis:
    http://www.directimagehost.com/pf.php?fid=5254

Link to steering/exhaust relationship:
    http://www.directimagehost.com/pf.php?fid=7633

The Z is 4", andthe steering was mounted in the middle of that. Also it was tipped back, bringing the drag link back up on that end, to maintain steering geometry without heating and bending anything.
    This also pointed the shaft sort of between the exhaust ports, but requiring a joint.
    Also since the A frame is narrower, the draglink had to be shortened (easy) and find a die to thread another 3" of it (not so easy)