Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead cam and intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Rat Nailhead, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Bad Rat Nailhead

Bad Rat Nailhead

a little info needed, eelco GS cam and dual quad intake will it work good on a 1963 401 nailhead!!!:confused:

2. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

DOnt know too much about the cam, but I do have a dual quad on my 401 Nailhead in my 55. It really aint that great...It looks cool, but it sucks gas and no HUGE performance difference. IF you are going for looks, id run 3 X2s . Youd be alot happier. Hope this helps. Ive done alot of work with nailheads so if you have any other questions email me.

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

which dual quad do you have? it makes all the difference in the world. Offy sucks....

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

His dual quad manifold is an updated copy of the Edelbrock B262, the best performance manifold that was produced for the Nailhead. I can only assume that the GS cam is merely a copy of the Nailhead GS cam. I'd be concerned about what transmission you are using with these.

5. telriv

telriv
    from Conn.

In a normally aspirated application a 2x4 intake makes the best power for any "NailHead". An Offy is the worst out there. All the power that can be made is in the heads, the proper cam for a "NailHead", the proper ignition advance & a set of "My Rocker Arms".

Tom Telesco

6. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

Yeah...that dumb fucking offy...It looks good, but performance wise sucks ass! I would never run an offy on anything again. I have never had one really "work"

7. 39 Ford

39 Ford

If the Offie 2-4 manifold is NG. how is thier 3-2 manifold, it seems to be the only one left still made for a 401?

8. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

Here was thread some time ago, where someone mentioned that original 2x4 (they were used on 425, right?) flows better than Offy 2x4. But hey, this is only something that I've read, so don't blame me if that's not right...

And yeah, 39Ford, Offy seems to be only who still produces 3x2 intakes for nailhead. I've got one!

9. Bad Rat Nailhead

Bad Rat Nailhead

Hi Thanks for all the info i will be happy with what i have it is powerful and ok on gas.

10. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

do the offys3x2's not work that great either on the 401's

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

They work, they have the look, but without some good porting they don't work well...

12. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

Hey c'mon zman, don't say that! ;)
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b352/OttosGarage/Building Tri-Power/162_6264.jpg
    Eventhough spark plug wires are taken away in that picture, it doesn't mean it wouldn't work... :D
    Quarter mile on a dragstrip is not everything for all of us, eventhough tri-power might be great also there. :D

13. Ole don

Ole don

I had a factory 2X4 on a 401 that would flat RUN! It was a terror on the streets. At the on ramp, I had to slow down to merge.

14. chuckw2

chuckw2
    from So Cal

priced an oem 2x4 manifold lately?

15. Every time there is a post about Buick dual quads, the Offy intakes take it in the butt; is this based on dyno experience, seat of the pants or what? Just what is the problem with them anyway?

Is there anything that can be done to an Offy intake to improve it? Is the problem at high rpm, or across the entire operating range?

I'm curious because I'm doing a 401 with a 6 speed behind it and have an Offy 5618 for spread bore carbs. My plan was to run a couple of 450 cfm Economaster Holleys.

I'd welcome any constructive comments.

Charlie

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

it's based on real world and dyno tests. they can be ported to make them better. and I'd skip those little Holley's for the Nailhead and go for a couple 600 Carter's or Edelbrock's. Nailheads love carb and lots of it.

17. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I got my cam from eelco its the gs plus dont know how its on the road it is only in the 30s here and I just got it runing a week age but it sure sounds good a little lumpy but still make good vac so go with it on the 2-4 go with some 600s on a 401 and some 750s on a 425 like that other guy said thay like the cfm I my self would go with 3-2s looks cooler and with some prog linkage you save on fuel cost

18. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

Heres what I got...Well I did change them Holleys over to the Edelbrocks....that did help a bunch, but...Offy still not the best
    457513827_m.jpg

19. I'm looking at the intake now. The intake to head match is right on the money...could stand a little cleanup of the pebbles in the runners above the gasket though. There are some pretty sharp edges on the top of the runners just below the carb surface that could probably benefit from a little blending. Is that the sort of porting work you would have in mind? I'm aiming for a combination that has good off idle driveability around town and still work pretty well in the secondaries. I've had very good experience with spread bores and it seems as though this might be a good opportunity to try a couple of them. But...I might be all wet.

Thanks,

Charlie