Register now to get rid of these ads!

1000 cubic inch ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sawracer, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Met a gentleman the other day chasing parts who has a 1000 inch ford motor on a shelf. I noticed a gigantic alloy v something and some extremely trick looking heads and I said what's that? He said it was a short run aircraft ford engine that is a 1000 c.i. gas engine. How bitchin is that? He also showed me some rods he made himself for his stutz bearcat hot rod motor. Heck I even got to finger bang a deusenburg dizzy while I was there. It was like a car guy bat cave with car elevator and everything. Great day and I think I may even be allowed to take some pics if you guys are interested.

2. Frank

Frank

Actually that was probably the Ford GAA tank engine. There was a thread recently that got so much attention that it brought the HAMB to its knees. In a nutshell, built in 1942, DOHC, 4 valves per cyl. 1050 some odd ft/lbs torque. Quite advanced for its age. I saw another thread just this week about it.

3. motomech

motomech

yeah that motor got banned from drag racing

4. tjm73

tjm73

5. motomech

motomech

6. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

He said airplane engine, but the utube cylinder heads look somewhat similar. I'll post a pic for hahas, if he doesn't care. I presume they aren't cheap?

7. peanut

peanut

that is so bad ass!!!!!!!!!!!! i love it!!!!!!!!!! thanks a bunch for posting this!!!

8. motomech

motomech

they were designed for air planes first but were not reliable then they were used for tanks

9. koachwerks

koachwerks

10. McGrath

McGrath

I prefer the "Five Bank Chrysler" for oddity, myself. 5 Chrysler six cylinders mounted together and stuck into the Sherman Tank.

Attached Files:

11. Did you hear The mathmatical formula for estimating if your Ford engine is adequate for the task?
    Take what Cu. In. other makers of like horsepower engines are building and double that,thus producing the same horsepower and delivering less mileage at the same time ......PLUS your parts will cost 4 times what the others do.
    THEN and only then are you a true Ford guy!

12. tjm73

tjm73

OMG!! What the hell is that thing?

13. Sanford Graham

Sanford Graham

Wow Some serious engines guys...........

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had a couple of those things for a while. 1100 inches i understand. I have always heard they were ment to be a V12 aircraft engine and were pushed into service as a V8 by war needs. 4 bolt mains. Pretty cool motor I thought. Still have the manual and some rods and pistons. They didn't come with three twos or zoomies from the factory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  15. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Really nice machine work throughout. Crank machined on all surfaces, same for rods and cam.
    I ground quite a few cams for them in the 50's.

16. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

17. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

[​IMG]

That funny-looking head seems strangely familiar. 8^)

Jack E/NJ

18. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a test firing of a V12 Merlin in a Swedish hot rod built by Mr 42 (I think) over on the old Ford barn several years ago. :D:cool:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  19. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

That Merlin sounds like it needs a mellower cam for a street-use hot rod over here. The FDA would probably ban it. Has a nice lope to it though. 8^)

Jack E/NJ

20. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The tank version is called the Meteor. It doesn't have the supercharger, uses cast pistons instead of forged, among other things. Designed to run on low octane gasoline rather than 100/130 avgas.