Register now to get rid of these ads!

what would you not hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ykp53, Feb 19, 2007.

1. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

what cars are to "sacred" to touch? i dont see a lot old caddies or 57 chevys on this board. I dont think i have ever seen a choped tri 5 nomad, why is that? for example what would the responce be around here if i said i just found a 1936 aubrun roadster that was about 75% complete and was thinking about bagging it , putting a sbc 350 in it and painting flat black?

2. squirrel

squirrel

we'd give you a bunch of crap if you said you were gonna do that to an auburn....we'd suggest an old Alison aircraft V-12, flames, and skinny wire wheels.

3. I guess you just have to be smart on how you kustomize a car,ive seen caddys and 57 chevies done up,the 57 i dont think lookes to good and the caddys ive seen for the most part rock,im squirrel about the auburn.
    Jamie of Dead City MC/CC

4. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I'd say a Tucker or Auburn or Cord, but even then I probably would have to do a little subtle something. I can't leave well enough alone:D

5. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Anything can be rodded....but there is two ways to go about it, the right way, and the wrong way. the majority of the rodders would not have any problem rodding a auburn.......IF its done right.

If you were to stick a SBC in it, bag it and paint it flat black....grandma's would smack you upside the head....

6. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

ANY car is fair game to a hot rodder...that's like the first "rule" or something!!:D

7. JSBriggs

JSBriggs
    from Auburn, CA

Trabant. For a multitude of reasons.

-Jeff

8. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I would not 'Rod' any Honda, BMW, 4-door, Pt cruiser, 4X4 or red wagon.

Richard D likes this.
  9. Do a little research on your Auburn first. Find out how many of that model were made, how many are left, how valuable this car actually is before you bust out the torch and rattle cans.

You may have your hands on a rare car that you may not want to change. Then again, you may want to change it. Just avoid a case of blood-shot eyed hindsight by figuring out what you got first.

10. squirrel

squirrel

the auburn was a "for example", he doesn't have one, don't worry.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I really think it depends on what the car is, or how much you have of it to start with. If you find an engineless Type 57 Bugatti cheap eBay it and take the money over to Brookville and buy a body..........maybe a finished car.

12. 2manybillz

2manybillz

If I could flip as is for a good profit I'd leave it alone. Otherwise it's fair game no matter what it is.

13. I have a car that is one of 75 made that year.
    It's getting the full on chop, channel, section, modern drivetrain treatment.
    It's also getting a leather interior and shiney paint.
    Like has been said...do it right.
    Put the small block in....Pick a generic car and go for it.

Unique cars deserve unique treatment.

14. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

If money wasn't the issue I'd customize anything.
    Just about every car out there looks better if you lower it and shave a few things.

Hell, I'd cut up a tucker just to watch some purest have an anurism.:eek:

Craig :cool:

15. Lucky77

Lucky77

If I found a perfectly running, and driving original 39/40 Ford coupe I'd have a really hard time tearing it appart. I know, I'm a whimp. I wouldn't chop a 33 Plymouth either. I think those two cars are just perfect as they are.

Richard D likes this.
  16. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I would not hot rod a Pacer. wouldnt want to be seen in it or have it seen in my shop for that matter!

17. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

I saw a hot rodded 31 Willy's Roadster at the 06 Pileup. Any idea how rare that thing is? Looked good. 283 in it. Point is he was drive'n her and having a blast. It might have been the rarest car I've been around other than some 1 off ride. Had a buddy that had a 32 Willy's roadster once and that was street rodded by the next guy. Too much fluff and circumstance. But hey, it was his. Think they only built 6 32s. not sure about the 31s.

18. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I agree "If money wasn't an issue", heck one time a guy told me in a sarcastic way "you'd lower a Corvette.... gggeees!:confused: " I told him I would if I thought it needed it and I would! :D

19. Retrorod

Retrorod

That little Nissan car that showed up at Bob's in Burbank last Friday night, the one with the sliding roof. I can't think of one thing you could do to it to make it "cool".

20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just can't bring myself to rod my '37, low mileage, rumble seat Chevy coupe. Nope, I'm leaving it COMPLETELY original.....well...except for the 235, updated wiring harness and torque tube mounted overdrive. Other than that, .............:rolleyes:

21. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

OOOPPPSS!
    You already hot rodded it!
    Guess that's in..
    he he.

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

I wouldn't Hot Rod a Car that already is a cool old Hot Rod.

Or Custom.

Or Detroit Concept Car...

23. Wesley

Wesley

I saw a Pacer on a used car lot that had the roof cut off of it, it looked like a bathtub with wheels.

24. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

I'd cut anything up to make it more roadworthy. To make something run harder and stop faster is basic Hot Rodding. I classic car missing a bunch of original parts would cost more and take longer to restore that customize. They need to be enjoyed on the road.

25. My way of thinking, I WOULD rod anything, BUT...If an Auburn or Duesenberg or something along those lines happened to fall into my lap, knowing me, I'd probably sell the fucker on ebay or Barrett-Jackson and buy a barn full of crusty half-finished rods or some shit like that, then I'd be back to where I started, except with even more clutter.

26. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Nothing built by an Asian owned manfacturer...:mad: So long as there are at least two examples of any given car still left on the planet, the rest are fair game! I'd love to build a mild Duesenberg supercharged dual cowl phaeton...:)

Jan

Richard D likes this.
  27. TriFiveChevyJohn

TriFiveChevyJohn
    from TEXAS!

My response would be
    "what shade of red are you paintin' your rat rod wheels?"

:D :D
    Just bustin' your chops bro...:rolleyes:

I guess to me, personally, any "classic" that is in
    mint unrestored condition would be personally off limits for roddin'.
    But I would sell it and take the money and buy 2 projects to rod.:cool:

[​IMG]

28. Dirk35

Dirk35

Like others have said, I wouldnt Rod something just for the sake of making a Rod out of something. Id make it a Rod because I wanted to. Becuase it was the car that I love and want to enjoy.

If it was something more Epensive, Id sell it for the cash, and buy what my dream car was/is: 33-34 Ford Sedan. But I already have one of those, Im pretty well set! Id sell it.

29. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I wouldn't hot rod any one of these three.........

Attached Files:

30. Sell the Auburn. With the $300,000 you make from that, buy something a bit less "sacred", build a really nice shop behind your house, and build a rod that would make the rest of us spooge our trousers.