Register now to get rid of these ads!

sectioned customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lulabelle, Feb 17, 2007.

1. lulabelle

lulabelle

I would like to see some.Anyone know how much the Monster Garage chevy was sectioned?

Attached Files:

2. lulabelle

lulabelle

I am also intrested in seeing pics of your process.Thanks in advance!

3. synthsis

synthsis

that car is the biz that is for sure. sectioning a full bodied car is not for the faint of heart. I'd hate to see how many were ruined in the process of a section.

4. My favorite of all time is the Polynesian by Valley Customs.

[​IMG]

5. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

ok, well the way i can explain it is, you cut on the FARTHEST point to the OUTSIDE of the body.so you find the spot thats the farthest, THEN lets say you want to cut 2 inches out. so you mark 1 inch on either side of the farthest point. if you want to bring the front bumper down in line with the middle of the body you dont go in front of the wheel well in front. its hard to expain so ill just draw pics on paint and post em.

6. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

heres some pics. theres a lot more to it, but this is the basic idea.

[​IMG]
    sectioned and lowered
    [​IMG]

7. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

the doors you actually DONT cut the skin of the door, you just cut the inner box of the door. you unfold the skin from the bottom of the door, cut 2 inches out of the middle of the inner door box, move it together, weld it together. then cut the skin of the door about 9/16ths past the lower lip of the inner door box, and fold it back over the lip of the door using a hammer.

8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Something to keep in mind, when you're talkin' sectioning a vehicle,
    is all of the inner structure eg. cowl panel, inner quarters, wheel houses, package shelf stretcher panels, rear tail panel. All of these
    are effected in a section job. It's the details ya don't see that are the
    real work. My guess is that that's why we see so few sectioned kustoms. Most guys can just barely finish all the work on a chop,
    to say nothin' of all the inneards of a section.

Swankey Devils C.C.

9. lulabelle

lulabelle

Thanks so far guys.I have concidered all of the above already.(my car is marked off for a 4" job now)I'm just looking for some motivation I guess.Any more pics?Or should I just get off my ass and get to work?

10. Ramblux

Ramblux

These are newer trucks, but it shows a lot of the process of sectioning. I can pass along any questions you might have to my friend who does the work. Old kustoms must be cake compared to having to make room for fuel-injected, thin-skinned new trucks! If anyone is interested in a section job by my friend, I'm pretty much acting as his marketing guy now and can get you a better deal than calling him directly.

http://www.ifcustom.com/projects/projectspages/a-d/dave hall f150.htm

[​IMG]

11. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

i also ghave that monster garage episode on my computer if anyone wants it (and has cable or DSL) i can send it via AIM or yahoo.

12. screwtheman

screwtheman

Kind of freaky because I just watched that episode today during lunch. I believe they sectioned the car 4". The section was brought through the middle of the rear quarters and stepped down just before the "hips" so they would tear drop when it was put back together. The doors were shortened by sectioning the inner structure and trimming from the bottom door skin. The front was trimmed on the bottom just behind the front wheel.

13. chopo

chopo

do ya think 4 inches is really enough?

14. plmczy

plmczy

Dude do you really think it needs sectioned? Your car sits pretty low as it is and no I'm not being a smart ass,lol. I like it as it sits now but then again it's not mine. later shawn

15. slamdpup

slamdpup

i dont htink that truck is sectioned..i think the rockers have been cut off.....if it has been sectioned it wasnt much...shaved rockers fool alot of people

16. Ramblux

Ramblux

Eddy, that truck was sectioned 2 1/2 inches out of the middle, PLUS the rockers being cut off, and the chop.

-Mike Self

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see the cut marks in the second pic.

17. Ramblux

Ramblux

I'll add these pics too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compare to stock-bodied Chevy:

[​IMG]

The beltline bodyline is 2 1/2 inches, and that's what was cut out. The bodyline wasn't shaved, it was removed! haha

18. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

we took 2 1/4 inchs out of this car and did it in a week end.

Attached Files:

19. Ramblux

Ramblux

That's sick! Now that's the right way to do it -- keep the body proportioned.

20. slamdpup

slamdpup

damn was up fucker..i havent seen or heard from you in several years...now that you show the pic of the other truck beside it..shows the diffreance..wasnt that truck at heatwave several years ago....?

21. chopdtop

chopdtop

If he took all the time to do all those modifications he should have at least chopped it some more! SISSY!!! :D

Just kidding. He's probably bigger than I am and wouldn't have been able to fit in it if he chopped it more.

22. Ramblux

Ramblux

Wassup!?! I've been enjoying working for myself now. Seems like half of N/C is on here eh?

Yeah, I think they took the truck when it was in primer? If I remember right they drove it the whole way.

23. Ramblux

Ramblux

LOL, yeah. It had something to do with the windshield. They wanted to keep the stock glass, and leaning the A-pillars back more would have looked weird and gave the truck too short of a roof.

24. Here's a pic of a 56 Merc a friend of mine sectioned,chopped,and channeled.Also a pic of him with his 65 Chevy(not sectioned just chopped).

Saw a beautiful chopped and sectioned 49 Caddy hardtop Thursday.Wish I had my camera with me.It's for sale but he wants big bux for it.Body is all done and ready for paint but it needs interior,wiring,and the 500 inch Caddy motor installed.

Attached Files:

25. metalman

metalman

Is is sectioned? Or is someone comfused with channeling?

26. metalman

metalman

I appoligize, should of skrolled farther before posting. Nice job but seems like a lot of work for the visual impact.

27. Ramblux

Ramblux

It's not channeled, it has a new frame under it. The floor itself hasn't been touched. Try looking at the other pics I posted. Believe you me, I'm well aware of what channeling, chopping, and sectioning are.

Here's another truck my friend sectioned:

[​IMG]

It also has a new frame under it, so it's not channeled either.

28. Mozes

Mozes

YOU GOT ANYMORE PICS OF THAT? ITS THE SAME STYLE AS MY 52 AND ID LIKE TO SEE SOME OF MY OPTIONS.

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

I really like the profile of your Ford do you have any updated pics??I really like the fact that you only did 21/4 inches instead of 4-6 inches like most do...same amount of work but more in proportion..to me anyways.Its about the only major body mod I havent done....yet !

Koolkemp

30. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Because I have a 54 Chevy too I watched that show closely. I am pretty sure it was a 4 inch section. Frankly I think that was too much. I read an article on this subject recently in Rod & Custom ( I believe it was a 2001 issue) and they propose that 2 to 2/12 inches is more aesthetically appealing. The other reason I watched it was to see 5 legends of the custom car field do the work.