Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rare small block chevy intakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ol' Drippy, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Ol' Drippy

Ol' Drippy

I remember a cool post a while back about rare flathead intakes and it got me thinking, who out there has a rare intake for a chevy? I've got some old edebrocks and offenhauser's but I don't think they are very rare, show me what you got.

2. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

I've got a old Fenton 3/2 that will go on this year. Sorry no picture, yet.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I guess the rarest of the rare would be a Nicson 2x2.

4. long island vic

long island vic

Mac Farland Is Pretty Rare

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I got a crossram 6X2 I think it's a X2 or X1 is that a rare intake???

6. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

My Fenton 3 x 2. Later,Bill
    [​IMG]

7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

man-a-fre 4x2

[​IMG]

8. rainh8r

rainh8r

A friend of mine has a Nicson 3X2 from 1956 that's almost flat on top. Looks great but doesn't work very well. The only other one I've ever seen is in a '56 Nicson ad.

9. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I didn't know there was such a thing as a rare small block chevy anything. Learn somehting new everyday. These are cool keep em coming.

10. finn34

finn34

I also have man-a-fre 4x2 intake,but it looks different than one above.Is mine somekind of later version or what? man-a-fre.JPG

1Nimrod, Deuces and slack like this.
  11. Depending on who's defining rare, there are various Chevrolet Engineering freaks that were produced in quantities of anywhere from one to ten....some of which still exist. Tripowers, various forms of cross-rams, magnesium FI manifolds, Weber crossflows...

If rare is defined as "rare, but actually available to the common guy on the street, if only for a short time"....then I'd look at the Nicson, some of the aftermarket FI intakes, & the Moon crossflow Weber (maybe); possibly the Offy cross-ram base with the triple Weber top combo (can't see a whole lot of those being sold...but the tops were interchangeable, so the bases are out there to be found). :)

12. I saw a Crietz ( might have spelled that wrong) 6 carb intake for an SBC a couple of years ago. It had a pretty healthy price tag on it.

13. PA Gas

PA Gas

I don't know about really rare but here are my 2. I have a Ridgerunner ram with both tops and a M/T crossram.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

This one was equipped with the direct port injection option. Not all of them have the threaded holes down low below the carb base. Most just had the bosses with centering dimples that were never drilled. There were 8 1/16" copper tubes running from a fuel block to these holes. Flip the switch and a solenoid opened letting the fuel flow. The guy I got mine from flooded his engine when he flipped it on when the tree went green:eek:.:D I don't think the injection worked too well.

15. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I had a crietz 2x4 low rise. Sold it a few years back and im kicking myself. Rare piece with some cool history.

16. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

GM factory aluminum #3890490 350 hp vette 1965

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. BoneCoaster

BoneCoaster

hmm...sounds like the perfect manifold for a cheater N2O system:D

18. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I have a Crietz 2X4 on my coupe and sold another one to a buddy a couple of weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

19. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Here is an old Offy 6X2 on my 283
    [​IMG]

20. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Sorr to go O/T here but that grlle is BITCHEN'!!!!

21. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Just sold this one to 4t64rd, an old Offy dual Quadrajet intake for the small block Chevy.

Attached Files:

22. Got me a pair of obsolete Holley 4360s (70's Qjet replacements) so it's going to be a odd set-up all around. If anybody has a pair of rebuild kits on a shelf somewhere collecting dust...:rolleyes: Ebay is dry right now.

23. Andy

Andy

Made this in '65. The flip top FI mani is rare in itself. I modified it some after this and ran it for years in my Chevy II and 55 Mad.

Attached Files:

24. Todd553

Todd553

Here's my X-1

Attached Files:

25. Todd553

Todd553

Here's a better picture.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod, Deuces and verno30 like this.
  26. ditz

ditz

That sure is purdy!

I have 3 of the small Rochesters off of a boat waiting on a manifold.

27. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

This is a rare one
    For installing a Latham Supercharger Yep I have the blower also.

Dawg

Attached Files:

28. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Dunno how rare it is but it is a late 50's Offy for WCFB used mounting adapter plates for the 2 edelbrocks on it.

Attached Files:

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Someone mentioned about the odd ball intakes that were tried at Chevrolet Engineering. In the 60's when Duntov was playing with the tri-power on the big block he wanted to see how a version of it would do on the small block. He had, as far as we are able to detect, 3 examples cast for testing.. Afer evaluation it wasdecided to not go into production as the single Holley and Rochester FI units were doing well (the FI unit was already discontinued in '65). Two of the manifolds were sent to SmokeyYunick in Florida for further evaluation as Smokey had a different testing procedure (equipment) and had more time to do testing. After some time trying different carb combinations Smokey shelved the idea also.
    During one of his infrequent garage sales a Florida hot rodder with a SBC powered deuce roadster asked Smokey if he had anything unusual in the way of small block induction he would be willing to sell. Smokey went into the archives and retreved the tri-power manifold and sold it to the rodder. I believe the car was featured in a RodAction magazine of that era with the tri-power mounted and the story of it's origin told.
    Manifold no.2 mysteriously disappeared from the Chevy Engineering labs some time later. Manifold no.3 is still (as of a couple of years ago)still at Chevrolet Engineering.
    Manifold no.2 is now in the posession of a friend of mine here in Bay City. He aquired it at a swap meet several years ago from a dealer who didn't know what it fit and was confused by th fact that it had Holley 2bbl flanges to mount the carbs. I've been trying to beg, borow, steal, that manifold for years but so far no success. I've got a few sets of the big block tri-power carbs so it wouldn't be a big chore to try it out. It would be the perfect induction for the 600 hp Nascar 355 I have (the hp wil tell you it's an older configuration as the current ones make upwards of 800 hp.)
    Oh well, I'll keep trying, as they say, stand in the batters box long enough your bound to hit a home run:eek: :D

Frank

rod1, Deuces and 1Nimrod like this.