Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey 60-63 Falcon, Ranchero, Futura owners....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldCarPilot, Jan 11, 2007.

1. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

What do I need to do to get the front springs out so I can lower this thing? I have the shop manual and it has a "special tool" to take the spring out. Any one make one?

Thanks

2. kustomdlux

kustomdlux

On my Ranchero I was able to let the suspension down after disconnecting the strut rods and the springs didn't have any tension on them. On my wifes comet however I had to use a spring compressor both removing and installing. I think you can pick up spring compressors at just about any auto parts store. I don't know if there is enough room to get the external type compressor on there or if the internal style has to be used. Either way be VERY careful, I've heard some good stories about people taking themselves out with runaway coil springs. Good Luck.

3. SimonSez

SimonSez

Yep. I made one many years ago. No pictures sorry, but I'll try to describe it ...

You start with a lenght of all-thread that is long enough to reach from the bottom shock mount to the top of the spring tower. I would make this pretty sturdy - maybe 5/8 or 3/4. I had some acme threaded steel rod from an old jack that had a good coarse thread, so I used that.

Weld a bracket on one end that bolts on to the spring seat through the shock absorber mounting holes. There is a lot of tension on this so make it strong and weld it good.

Then make a cross piece that goes across the coil spring. This was made from 1" heavy wall box section cut down into a c-section and the ground notches into it so it would sit flat on the coil. It needs a slot in the middle so you can drop if through the top shock mount hole at an angle. Then you just need a big washer and a nut that fits on the threaded rod.

It is quite simple to use - you take out the shock and then drop the spring compresso through the spring tower from the top and bolt it onto the lower shock mount. Then put the cross-bar across the coils as close to the top as possible and crank it down. When you have got the tension off the spring, you undo the bolts that hold the spring seat to the top a-arm and pull the spring out. Once it is out, you undo the cross-bar to release the spring tension. and you can remove the spring tool.

4. haring

haring

I used an internal spring compressor on my 1961 Futura. I forget how I had to rig it, but I think I had to flip the threaded rod upside-down in relation to the claw as well as perform some acrobatics to get wrenches in to turn it. I wish I could remember for more specifics, but it's been a few years.

Point it, it can be done. You just need to sit there for a little while figuring out how to make it all fit and work.

I now have airride, so no more springs.

5. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

Do Not Try This at Home

I used about 10 hose clamps and a broom handle to pop it out. Was i scared HELL yeah !! i could not get the spring compressor i had to work. I know this is the wrong way to do it. Believe it or not i forgot to remove one of the hose clamps and drove the car around for a week or 2 with 2 coils still strapped with the clamp and it nevere broke

keith

6. SimonSez

SimonSez

7. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

8. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Thanks all... That one on ebay looks almost exactly like the one I just put together from scraps in the shop.... Anyway I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure it'll be fine.

9. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Worked great. Glad I made it extra long. Those springs are huge. Anyway, how many coils to cut out? It is stock height and sits way to high for me. Dropping it 2-3" is what I'm shooting for.

10. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

Less is better. You can always cut more, but of you cut too much.... well you know. 1 1/2" - 2".

11. haring

haring

I think I cut 1.5 loops to get a 2" drop. Should have gone bigger at the time. :)

I had trouble using the original shocks. I hit a big pothole and ended up bottoming out the shock, ripping off the top shock tower and sending the shock up into the hood, denting it. :mad:

Not sure what other people do, but a shorter or stiffer shock would have helped.

12. springer99

springer99

13. brainfrz

brainfrz

Go to Kragen or any other autoparts store and rent the tool for the day. It worked on my 63 Falcon springs when I had it.

Jon

14. Cshabang

Cshabang

these cars suck when doin springs...and that includes the 64 65 era falcons and comets too hahaha..I don't remember exactly how I did all the sets with my pops..but we would always end up swearing at the stupid things hahaha...Gonna look into the compressor on ebay though..thanks guys for the heads up...

15. twofosho

twofosho

Whatever you do, stay stay from the Harbor
    Freight spring compressor, it's a dangerous, absolute piece of crap that'll strip out the first time you use it. That I got real lucky and didn't damage the car, parts, myself, or anyone else was just that, absolute luck!

16. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

The thing I made worked great. I took 1.5 coils out and it brought it down a bunch. I like it. About the shocks... Yeah I need to do something about that. They defenatly are too long.
    Now I need to get the ass down a bit and she'll be good.

Thanks again!

17. 61falconwagon

61falconwagon

heres some info a fellow falcon nut sent me a while back. i copied it strait from his email to me.

What I did on the
    front was removed the coil spring cover completly! I
    never had a problem with it bottoming out and it buys
    you alot of travel. I have done this on 5 different
    falcons including the current one that I have now! As
    for the shock I used a Monroe #31176, it has a pin
    type studs on both ends. On the little foot that the
    spring/Shock mounts on there are two holes, when you
    install the shock use the back hole(the one that is
    closest to the motor) I did have to grind down the
    washer to a "D" shape in order to make it easier to
    install!! Also by using the shorter shock the spring
    will not fall out if you jack it up all of the way. I
    cut about a coil and a half and I got about 3 1/2" of
    drop out of mine. Like I said I have done this on 5
    different falcons and never had a problem!! If you
    have any other questions just ask!1 By the way I say
    your car on the HAMB also as I am a lurker there and
    have been for many years!! Hope to talk to you again!
    Rich

18. Drive Em

Drive Em

I am the one who makes the tool that is on Ebay from the above post. It is the safest,easiest most in-expensive tool you can use on these cars. I have been building them for more than 20 years and I have sold thousands over the years.

19. The_Monster

The_Monster

Hey, you ever finished the drop? pictures???

20. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

If you remove the whole spring cover you lose any bump stop action, Sure you can get the car low, and the first thing that hits on an early falcon when the suspension is compressed is the tierod against the bottom of the frame rail part of the body.

really fucking clever.

lets hope that guy doesnt put any more than five cars on the road like that for the new owners sake...

half arsed solutions to lowering cars are really common on this site, one of my pet issues.

21. Clark Kustoms

Clark Kustoms
    from las vegas

1- Put car on jack stands
    2- wheels of
    3- Place hydrolic jack under bottom ball joint raise until the car is light on the jack stand.
    4- Mark upper control arm position and remove bolts from the frame. leave the shock on to hold the coil from poping out.
    5- Put the wheel back on to protect your knees.
    6- Now unbolt the shock from under the hood. Then lower the hydrolic jack slowly.The tention on the coils is minimal at this point
    7- Leave hydrolic jack touching the a-arm
    8- Remove wheel and unbolt lower shock bolts. remove jack. On my falcon wagon the coils fell out, but on my comet i had to use a long pry bar and they came out easy.

Attached Files:

22. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

I actually never ended up dropping the rear. (yet) Not sure I'm going to or not. I put a 65 Mustang rear in it and it's got this rake that makes it look kinda fun. No pix though. It's a daily driver so I really hadn't even thought of taking any.
    After some driving I've found that the shocks are actually fine. I hit the bump stops before bottoming out the shock tower like I thought.

23. la mosca

la mosca
    from Everywhere

Any recommendations on smaller shocks for a better ride when doing this?