Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brookville vs Vintique- Grille Shells

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by qzjrd5, Dec 9, 2006.

1. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

How do you tell them apart? I bought a used but like new "Brookville" shell from someone off this board, and I asked him specifically whether it was a Brookville part as he claimed it. He said it was. So I went forward with the purchase.

Today it arrived. Box that it arrived in was a perfectly fitting box that says "Vintique" on it. Hmmm.

I just want to make sure I got what I paid for. I have never had any trouble at all with anyone on this board before. Is there anyway to know for sure what I have here?

Thanks!
    Mike

2. I'm guessing that Vintique doesn't stamp out grille shells.

It's probably a Brookville in a Vintique package.

3. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

I found this and it makes me think they are different....not sure if Vintique stamps them or they buy them from someone else.

http://www.rjays.com/32_Ford/32-grilles-01.htm

But on the other hand, I did a search on the HAMB here and found where the seller had inquired about a Vintique original style unfilled shell and stated that he was thinking about selling his Brookville filled shell. I have his old filled shell I believe. So maybe he bought the Vintique original style unfilled shell, and sent me the filled Brookville in the box that the Vintique one came in. Makes sense.

Anyways, I'll leave it at that.

To be honest, I am not even sure the Brookville repo is any better than the Vintique one (I have read some other posts on the subject) but I was looking for an American made shell.

Thanks. Mike

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Vintique style ...

[​IMG]

Brookville style ...

The Vintique has the correct style holes in the lower part of the shell ... and Brookville does not ... :)

[​IMG]

Henry style ... and a 4 inch chopped one :D :D

5. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Does it matter as long as its a nice piece? I bought a Brookville for my roadster and I like it alot. If I would have known about Vintique beeing cheaper thats the one I would have bought.

6. peanut

peanut

rutlibe does them for brookville. you can get them straight from them too. sorry don't know about the spelling?

7. 40Vert

40Vert

Brookville's is pretty nice, I've used two on my Model A's. I haven't had experience with Vintique's but if I wanted the stock, unfilled look, that's who I'd go with.

8. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Ok, makes total sense to me now, didn't know about the "hole" thing!

Looks like its a Brookville.

Thanks to all that replied.

Mike

9. Anderson

Anderson

You can get a Vintique shell will all the holes filled to. It may say made in Taiwan, but it's still a pretty nice piece.

10. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Since I still haven't seen one up close, I'd like to see a picture of the side of a Vintique '32 grille shell. Does it have provision for the stock band around the back? (Brookville's doesn't.) Does it have the holes punched for the headlight wires? (Brookville's doesn't.)

I only use the original grille shells and inserts. Here's a picture of one of them.

[​IMG]

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

11. Anderson

Anderson

Vintique's does have the lip for the hood lacing, and the headlight holes. We just sold the last one in stock at work yesterday, the next one we get in I can get some pictures. It feels like a thinner guage sheetmetal than you'd expect from an original, but I've never held an original in my hands. Otherwise, it's just like stock.

12. 40Vert

40Vert

The Vintique is thinner than original, but still a good peice if you don't have a gennie lying around.

13. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Thanks for that. It's fairly encouraging. People wanting something affordable needed an acceptable reproduction.

Vintique probably used thinner steel for two reasons: because that makes them easier to stamp; and because being made in Taiwan, the gauge of the sheet metal would be metric and they went a bit thinner rather than thicker.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

14. pepi

pepi
    BANNED

I agree with AA/Fuel34fordpu , I also purchased the Brookville shell and was satisfied with the quality of the shell. It has a heavy metal feel like the original body parts, nice piece.

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have used them both. Brookville is heavier although I seem to have a issue with the fit. The Vintique is noticably lighter but is closer to an original one in its style and fit. Can't beat on original!

16. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

The Vintique original style one is great.Not filled,slots for windlace.
    Has the mounts for the stainless band.
    The headlight conduit holes are not drilled,but are marked.
    The holes in the splash pan are there too.
    They also make a filled one.
    And to make it more confusing Vintique used to buy theirs from Brookville.
    The Brookville one was great when it first came out,but now compared to the Vintique is sure looks sloppy.

Attached Files:

17. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

WRONG!!! Brookville stamps their own.....

Spoons

18. mlinton1941

mlinton1941

NOTE: the grille sit back in the grille shell ! NOT so good of fit wih anything aftermarket ! MIKE

19. mlinton1941

mlinton1941

NOTE: the grille sits back in the grille shell ! (original) NOT so good of fit with anything aftermarket ! MIKE

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  20. Wow, this thread is 12 years old. HRP

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Never a bad time to discuss '32 stuff.

22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Might be an opportunity to let people know if the repro grille shells are better, worse or the same nowadays as they were back in '06.

23. A Boner

A Boner

Does rutlibe make hood sides too?

24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I sure like my Vintique with a Dales insert. It has the correct beads around the edges for stainless trim, and stampings for the hood lacing.

maneri likes this.
  25. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Is the Vintique still made thinner than the original?

27. bchctybob

bchctybob

Spell check; it's Rootlieb Inc. http://www.rootlieb.com/
    Curious whether the repop '32 grille and insert selection has gotten bigger or still just two good sources? Is all of the old info above still good?

28. Is that a record?

29. uncle buck

uncle buck

Possibly a by product of too much soup of the day? lol
    [​IMG]