Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. I'm pretty sure this is the ex Gas Ronda, 1964 NHRA SS championship car. It is currently in Florida. I also think Bob Glidden drove this car briefly when he was partners with Harold Stout.

Here is a photo when Bob Glidden drove it.

John1964 do you have any photos of the "Blackjack" T-bolt from MD.? I'm also looking for more photos of the "Virginia Twister" 'bolt.

Attached Files:

2. FEDER

FEDER

Hey Troublemaker how bout some stats on Your car. FE powered I presume?

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok I didn't read/look at the whole post. A close family friend was driver and associate of sorts with DST and many of the upper level staff including Wm. Clay Ford. He drove in the Comet durabilty run and raced a 62 Ford unibody truck for them as well. I vaguely remember him picking up dad for a ride in a 427 Mustang in late 64.

He also told of, and I've since read about how DST had to fake the build of the cars due to parts delivery problems. They were building cars and running them around back taking them back apart and building them again for the benefit of the sanctionong body inspectors. A lot of work but shows how dedicated they were to getting the program up and running. It may have been the Galaxies, I can't recall that far. The Mustangs didn't go and I think the Falcons were used in place of them. I suppose it's in order that I give him a call and get the whole story again.

What was he like? He wanted off the race team pretty bad, had enough of the Comet deal, but they wouldn't cut him loose. So in order to get his way he got crazy at a party, threw Bill Ford and his wife in the pool, ran up a flight of stairs to avoid security but got trapped. His getaway? He grabbed a patio umbrella and dove off the balcony to the pool yelling "GERONIMO!" Once the situation got calmed down the Ford people told him you must want out pretty bad and they let him go.

For 500 extra bonus points, can anyone name this guy?

4. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

Hmm the only drivers ive seen drive a Ford UniBody pickup is Stu Wilson, then later Jack Whitby. Which was the ''F100 xl''

5. The Troublemaker2 runs a 427 centeroiler block with Edelbrock heads that were done by Kuntz & Co. The intake is a tunnelwedge with two Holley HP 1000 carbs. The camshaft is a custom grind Comp Cams. Tranny is a C-4 with a Coan 8" converter. The car weighs 3270# with me in it. Rear tires are 10.5 Hoosier slicks. It has been a best of 9:54@139 and I think there is more left. Thanks for asking.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pickup was powered by a 430 Lincoln. Had a Tbird dash and steering column and black tuck and roll interior. Had a set of 4.11s with welded spiders too. I don't know how fast it was, and as I recall it may have just been an in-house "toy". I know he ended up with it, then my uncle got it, then we had it for a few years. Dad sold it to someone in our city but no idea whatever happened to it. Now I really have to call the old dude for the real deal. He's 80 now and still driving...legends in FLA.

7. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

8. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Highlander...So who is the guy?

9. Red69Hoss

Red69Hoss

Check out York Musclecar Madness 16-17 July 2007. Dick Brannen is usually there along with some other Thunderbolt drivers, cars, scale models and books. A lot of them run on the race track. There are usually some Thunderbolts at the Carlisle All-Ford in June.

10. 4tford

4tford

Here is one and it is only 118,000 dollars! if the link don't work it is on collector trader web site
    htt://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/1/3/86381113.htm

11. Here's one i used to street race in the 70's
    [​IMG]

12. Thats not even the original car or a real Thunderbolt. A friend of mine owns the real Bob Ford car. It has been restored and looks great! $118,000 for a clone!!!!LOL

13. John1964

John1964
    from BC, Canada

maybe the Ford truck, trailer and house in the background are included with the sale price? LOL! nice car, well built, but not worth $118,000.00

14. That for sure!!! Hey John1964 did you get my PM?

15. John1964

John1964
    from BC, Canada

yes, great site. Last time I visitied that site (awhile back), he didn't have all the photos posted. Would love to purchase all the T-bolt pics, but at $20 a pop, that would be $900 US !! ouch!! Maybe once my car is done, I'll start buying a couple at a time....

16. It does add up! If my wife knew how much I've spent on photos I'd be in trouble...LOL:eek:

Do you have any photos of the Blackjack or Virginia Twister?

Thanks,

17. Lowriser

Lowriser
    from Dust Bowl

Im not 100% convinced this is a pic of a real T-Bolt
    Humpin Henry (the AFX Comet) operated out of the Texas Panhandle. There was a T-bolt campaigned out of Sid Stout Ford in Amarillo about the same time. Billy Parker of Billy's boat ramp removed the engine and sold the body. That engine sat in the window of his business for years then dissapeared. I think there is a lot of confusion nationaly and locally about the original HH car being a T-Bolt. I would like any info on this car pictured if anybody can help.
    I have read the internet story about the owner of the claimed HH t-bolt but it has a few holes in it. I would like to know the "rest of the story"

18. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Lowriser, Go to Craig Suttons Thunderbolt page ( google it ) It gives the story of HH on there. It sure was a T-Bolt

19. 55chevy

55chevy

I talked with a guy at Dothan AL swap meet that has a Thunderbolt, should have got his name. I know his buddy, they were talking about nostalgia drag event in Panama City soemone has every year.

Below is pic of Fairlane with 427 that was on display, dunno if it's real Thunderbolt.

[​IMG]

20. 4tford

4tford

Yeah the add said it was a clone. I used to hang out at Bob Ford back then when I picked up parts for the repair business I worked at. I believe Dave Lyle was one of the drivers for Bob Ford. I think the 64 thunder bolts were the ultimate SS cars of the day.

21. You are correct, Dave Lyall drove for Bob Ford. Len Richter drove the SS T-bolt. Bob Ford actually had 3 Thunderbolts in 1964 and sponsored another.

22. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Troublemaker.you Got A Front Shot Of Drokes 65 T-bolt??

23. I don't think so, but I will look....

24. Thumper

Thumper

[​IMG]

The man hisself.......Hubert Platt and the Little Ga. Shaker

25. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I remember seeing Platt on some TV show on speed talking about that car. Scary to drive ....But one fast girl

26. Joe Grippo

Joe Grippo

Hey Jody -

Here is shot of Ray Paquet I took at Indy a few years back, looks he is in B trim. I've heard as many as 3 T-Bolt clones are being put together for that Top Super Stock deal they are doing in D3 next year...

[​IMG]

27. Thanks Joe. I read about the clones. I might try to make one of those Top/SS races next year. Dallas Kelly is redoing his T-bolt for Top/SS also. His is a "real" 'bolt that was sold new at Al Means Ford. Ray's car runs very good too. I was hoping to see it at the Dutch Classic but he wasn't there.

Nice meeting you at Larson's!

28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok sorry for the late answer. His name is Dick Mitchell. He lives in FLA now and races Legend cars at 80yrs old. He raced late models up here in MI and had some pretty historic seat time as well for Ford. He's been a family friend as far back as I can remember. I'm still waiting to hear some background on the truck he had. But I did hear of that one before as well. Unreal...

29. Turbo442

Turbo442

This one was at the Pleasanton GG's show. I believe they said the original owners son now owns it and restored it. I don't know if this is one of the og factory cars though as this was a Sports Coupe model and I thought all T'Bolts from the factory were 2 dr sedans. Russ Davis Ford of Covina was the orgignal owner I believe.
    It was real nice either way.

Attached Files:

30. Turbo442

Turbo442

what I meant was that whether or not it was built by the dealership or Ford it was reall clean and real nice. I really dug it.
    Here, check out the wheelie bars!