Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. I'm starting a "Vintage" Tool Box Club. Here's mine, circa '62!
    I showed you mine, now show me yours.

Attached Files:

2. Cool stickers on that box for sure!! Consider me a prospect.

tofords likes this.
  3. hell ya count me in i have tools and box from snapon circa late 30s
    wre my granfathers tools

4. 53chevy

53chevy

Ah man, did 3W Larry kick you out?:D With a tag name Deuce in it (I assuming you have a 32 model something?). Also, I can't help but notice the wire rims on your 40. Are those early aftermarkets. I've seen ads selling Cadillac style wire wheels for Fords and such in 1951-2 Hot Rod and such mags. I'm really digging that look on your 40. Maybe a side shoot?

Ken

5. DrJ

DrJ

I use a PRESSTEEL piggyback that my Dad inherited from his Dad in '63 and was well worn then, and I inherited in '82.
    It's got a cast iron base that makes it heavy to pick up even empty, but it won't tip over!
    My Dad had it at the Olds dealer he worked at and it got treated like the "Rat box" at a chainer show amongst all the new SnapOn boxes untill one time he went on vacation and when he returned the guys in the shop had picked the lock and emptied it, and stripped and repainted the whole box !
    Now, rather than try to copy the original Maroon-Red, the painter mixed a few left overs from cans of lacquer and shot it with what turned out to be a really nice 70's era Metallic Brown-Green, then pinstriped it in gold stripeing tape.
    That's the way it remains today.
    And yea, it still has Grand Dad's and Dad's tools in it.

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Actually Dave's 40 Coupe and his 32 Coupe have some cool history behind them,....... and I am all for seeing more pictures of the 40 coupe,........ how about it Dave ? ( did Pat ever get in touch with you ?)

Oh yeah,.... a 1967 Craftsman, and Frank Macks old ( beat to death ) tool box

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

My most used set is a Craftsman 1/2" based set still in a little carryable Craftsman box my Father bought me for Christmas in 1962. It was my very first step up from the little bag of Ford tools in the '48 Ford! Still in action, too!
    My big boxes now are (1) a circa 1952 Snap On chest with drawers; one of the drawers still contains a pamphlet discussing the manufacturing and hand fitting process used on Snap On boxes! It is filled with WWII-1965 vintage tools, and everything about the box still looks good and works smoothly. And (2) a fairly big Plomb chest, SLOWLY filling up with super duper best on the planet Plomb tools and very early Proto as I find the stuff.

8. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i need a bigger toolbox...

Attached Files:

9. Afternoon Ken,
    Have a chopped all steel, full fendered 5W that is a 50s survivior am in the process of "restoring" the 50s style of it. Will have a 390 Cad and goodies, etc, bought it Oregon in 69 for $125. It had a 392 Hemi in before I got it, was gone when I bought it. Would like to replace the 392, but way to expensive for my blood now.
    As to the wheels, 53-55 Cad originals that were disassembled, polished and replated by Barroni Wheels in LA in 75.
    T McG posted a 3/4 front of the car in his Scottsdale GG pics. Will see what I can dig up and post, maybe take a couple new ones and have the wife post for me, I am not a Comp guy, I can turn it on, check E Mails, HAMB, get screwed on E Gay and turn it off. LOL
    Kirk posted a shot of the flames on the hood in his GG post, its the one with the "50s" cracked laquer paint. Now thats "REAL" patina, LOL.
    Later, Dave

10. Will see what I can dig up or take a couple of new ones. Dave

11. jimmyv

jimmyv

Here are my boxes. The blue/black one is where I put all my real old tools. Stuff all the way back into the early 1900's. Most of it is Ford marked stuff. The red ones are my daily used stuff. How about old equipment? Pic of my old Sunnen hone, Sioux valve grinder, and Black Diamond drill grinder.

Attached Files:

12. jimmyv

jimmyv

Oops that was my Craftsman/Atlas lathe in one shot. Here is the drill grinder:

Attached Files:

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've got 2 Snap-Ons of different era's... Been looking for one of the old Craftsman boxes from the 50's-early 60's, kind of shaped
    like an old fridge (all rounded and stuff).. I need more room...

Attached Files:

14. jerry

jerry

I was just given an old MAC toolbox. As near as I can tell it dates back into the 30's.All faqlt steel, top and front caver are bolted together. The drawer slides are just flat pieces. 3 drawers and a 2 handled lift out tray. Also have 60's vintage Snap-On and Mac top boxes.

jerry

15. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

jerry owns a tool museum!

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

You don't want to start me on this....... There are a dozen-a-tool boxes here

Jesse gave me a huge Mac that I filled just by picking the stuff up that was too big to fit in my ''Normal'' Roll-aways :)

Here's one of my machinist boxes and the oldest box I own

All my 20's and 30's Snap on is already in Poland

Did you know that Gerstner wooden mechanics tool boxes as well as there machinist line?

Attached Files:

wingnutz likes this.
  17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want one of these but alas I probably can't afford it if I found it. I do remember the pride I felt when I got my first Craftsman 10 drawer. A bunch of us sprung for them when they had a sale bringing them down below 100 bucks. The roll away came later.

wingnutz likes this.
  18. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I own a Mac top box that is at least 40 years old as I bought it used in 1971.

This is a neat old box I picked up at a garage sale awhile back. Tag says Union Chest, Standard of Quality Since 1893, Union Steel Chest Corp. LeRoy NY.

Leather handle, still had the original key in the envelope inside.

I have been torn between leaving it as is, or doing in some WWII type bomber art.

Attached Files:

Glitchy and wingnutz like this.
  19. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

Here is my good old craftsman ! 70`s era ? been over loaded , knocked over , left out side , still work`s pretty good and has great patina ? then there is the new green one I just bought ? Im gona have to work on that one ! I need a pinstriper and a bunch of stickers , and some paint to match the crafstman then beat it with a chain , maybe a shot gun blast or two ? but here is the cool , tool box , I got from a friend of mine ! it was his grand dads ? it has ford script on it up side down , and what look`s like a tail light mount ? must be off a jeep , ford made for wwII ? any input on it would be helpfull !!! going to mount it in the trunk of my 32 coupe . I think the new ( hamb deuce club bling $ and gold chain $) will fit in it nicely ? hahahahaha note to self , buy gold paint for rusty chain ?

Attached Files:

20. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

now this is a cool club! :cool:

21. 2manybillz

2manybillz

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

In the early 20th Century good parking garages had a mechanic on duty. He would do lube and oil changes. Small rebuild jobs That kind of thing. While you were at the office

This is an Art Deco tool crib from an old Long Beach parking garage.
    It's about 14 feet long and 7 feet tall
    It was a place for the parking mechanic to put parts, tools, and such.It originally had an accordian gate to close off the front and back.I found this years ago. I think it is Pressed Steel, or Lyon. but has no Mfg tag. I even had a HAMB'r offer me $700.00 for it a few weeks ago. Like many things I'll have the only one in Poland soon......

Before we left for the states this time we found and got several oak Parts cabinets with tambuor doors. They will all fit together in my shop.

Attached Files:

Glitchy, catdad49 and Atwater Mike like this.
  23. NealinCA

NealinCA

Here is an old Snap-On box that I bought from the estate of a retired HS shop teacher...

[​IMG]

Anyone know approx. what year it was made?

Thanks,

Neal

HerMink likes this.
  24. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

I have a box that looks a lot like that one. Mine says "BOMB TOOL KIT" on the top though. I got it at a swap meet. The guy said he thought his dad used it when he was in the service. I use it to hold my minibike tools and spare parts.

Only other neat one I have is the little Plomb one. It would be cool if I could find out what exactly came in this kit. I try to buy anything that says Plomb on it.

Attached Files:

25. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

In 1951 my Dad built his own tool box out of wood. Its a simple upright that looks like a large most metal storage cabinets. The bottom had its own door and was where larger tools were kept(axle pullers, etc). The top 2/3 had another door that when opened exposed a lower shelf with a pull out drawer and above that rows and rows of small nails with wrenches arranged and hung in neat rows. The very top has a lift up lid for papers and notebooks etc. I
    brought it home after he died and hope to impress on my son to keep it for yet another generation!

catdad49 likes this.
  26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Only other neat one I have is the little Plomb one. It would be cool if I could find out what exactly came in this kit. I try to buy anything that says Plomb on it."

I've got a couple of old Plomb catalogs. PM me the dimensions on that and a pic of its internal dividers and I'll see if I can match it to a catalog.

27. old beet

old beet

I have a small handled Craftsman Box my dad bought to go in his new 1951 Nash. Mostly unused as he had his cars worked on at the dealer....OLDBEET

28. LiveWire64

LiveWire64

Here's a pic of my early 70's Craftsman boxes. Looks just like the one hot rod artist has. I know that mine is from the early 70's because I know the original owner. I have since repainted the top box & heavily decaled it. Need to finish the bottom & get new pics. Brad
    [​IMG]

29. I forgot when you started this thread that I have this. More of a work station than tool box but it was used for tool storage.
    [​IMG]

30. Here's an old pic of one in use...
    [​IMG].

Toyjunky and Felix 40 like this.