Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage houses, post a pic of yours.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Nov 23, 2005.

1. mine is built in 1923,som changes been made on it during the years,but I like it anyway,the first owner/builder? had a funiture paint shop in the basemnet,and sold paint and stuff in the other buliding in the pics,the samll building is were the huge washing machine used to be,now it´s just for storage.oh.and there´s lot of pic´s on this link,as I had it up for sale 2 years ago.
    http://www.anderssonracing.com/hustillsalu.htm

2. 3 words-BEEE A UTIFUL

3. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

House is a 1956 Chassis is a 1932 My freind Eddie 19?? mmmm OLD

4. I'm calling for a "group hug" with all these great places to live! Come on, let's hug it out

5. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

built in 1928 bricks and mortar

Attached Files:

6. laid55

laid55

blood sweat and tears.my house was built in 1920.
    it's funny how a car guy does an old house just like he would a car.new wiring,copper plumbing.house was running and hot rodded for six years before I finally finished the outside!you know how things gotta be in primer for awhile.

Attached Files:

7. rayjon

rayjon
    from Reno Nv..

Here is mine it is a 2 bed 1 bath bungelow built in 1941, have had to redo a bunch of stuff but the wiring was first had to add a 200 amp panel in the garage.. for all of you with old houses you know the story I only pluged the welder in once before it blew.....

Attached Files:

8. laid55

laid55

yup!!I put a 200 amp panel at the house and put a 100 amp sub-panel in the garage.plenty of power.I ran it underground to the garage.no overhead line between the house and garage.you know,we always have to try and trick out everything...:D

9. Some additional of my shack... '59 Chicago modern by Eric Friis and Adolph Harringer (click for slideshow)

[​IMG]

10. Here's some other vintage 50s modern houses belonging to other Chicago Bauhaus and Beyond Members (click for slide show)

[​IMG]

11. rayjon

rayjon
    from Reno Nv..

Laid55... Nice looking house and 55...

The 200 amp in the garage is overkill, I only needed 100 amp but the panel was on sale and was cheeper than the 100 amp panel. I also did the same as you dug up what was there and replace it with 1.5" conduit to make it clean ...

The panel covers the 30/110 for the travel trailer, a 30/110 and 50/220 for the welders, 20/110 for the pool pump, 30 amp/220 for the 5hp table saw and all the lights and outlets outside and in the garage...
    When I moved in the garage, pool pump, and everything else outside was running off one 60 year old #12 with no ground......

12. laid55

laid55

nice house junkmonger.believe or not that,that same house would go for around $400k here in so cal. crazy huh?

13. Neat place you got there, I been checking your car out on other post too. VERY COOL! Your garage looks good too. Where did you get that Flying A sign? I need one for my garage, the bigger, the better.:D

14. hilbillyjim1948

hilbillyjim1948
    from australia

Got any room for a crazy ozzy and his projects!!!

15. laid55

laid55

I found it at the local swap.My last name starts with "A".it fit the bill perfectly!Thanks

16. Yeah, my first name is Andy, so I need to find me one of those Flying A signs for the side of my new garage. Finally got my new RJ mag. Saw your car in that garage scene. Neat pic. I envy you California guys for your weather. Palm trees are cool too........

17. HydroClyde

HydroClyde

This is our cottage. It was built in 1931 by my great grandfather. My family has had property on the lake since the late 1800's. They would take horse and buggy to get there, it would take all day (30 miles).

Attached Files:

18. HydroClyde

HydroClyde

interior shot

Attached Files:

19. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

I just picked mine up
    it was built in 1918
    feels great to finally have my first home and one with so much soul.

Attached Files:

20. This is our friend Don Wrobleski's house, a post & beam "see thru" glass house in Bannockburn IL. Don is an architect who apprenticed for Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, and worked on Mies' Farnsworth house as a young man. He designed this house for himself and has been living in it since 1961.

Some of the features of the house are killer -- sunken conversation pit living room, floor mounted light switches -- total 1960 Playboy space age bachelor pad. We went to a Xmas party at this house the other night, the condition is unbelievable... Don has kept it in mint condition for 45 years.

[​IMG]

21. synthsis

synthsis

that is crazy that he got to work with Van der Rohe. I'm hoping one day to build a house based off of a set of Eichler blueprints, only with modern amenities.

22. Ratty

Ratty

My pit , its just the bit up to the end of the first door , with my old 51 outside . House was built circa 1780 , one bedroom terrace in flint and brick , typical for the area . Sorry its a crap pic , can take a better one if anyone's interested .

By the way , if 1950's is vintage , what does that make mine ???

[​IMG]

23. Eichler houses rule! My wife and I have also talked about building a new house based on a vintage modern blueprint, but with contemporary materials... thermo glass etc. Glad to hear you are doing this.

Don worked for Mies for a few years in the 50s before going out on his own, designing mostly public buildings like libraries and schools. He still occasionally leads tours of the Farnsworth House. Don's house was photographed by Julius Shulman in October for an upcoming book on Chicago modernism. Shulman was the guy who shot all those famous photos of modern houses in the 50s, like this one of Pierre Koenig's "Case Study House #22" in Los Angeles...

[​IMG]

Supposedly to get that shot, Shulman had a one minute (!) exposure time, so all those people inside had to sit frozen in those poses.

Shulman came here a few months back to do his first Chicago project, shooting 13 houses in 12 days. I know a couple of people who accompanied him around on the project, and they said that Shulman is a total party hound... at 96 years old!

24. synthsis

synthsis

There is absolutely nothing like that here in the greater Philly area. I'd be hard pressed to put up a mid-century mod right smack in the middle of a neighborhood too without looking too much like a kook. That leaves the out lying farm areas, which are nice but land is at a huge premium right now.

25. We're lucky in Chicago because it had quite a few modernist / internation style residential architects back in the day... Ed Dart, Keck & Keck, Bertrand Goldberg, Ed Hummerich to name a few, not to mention Frank Lloyd Wright and Mies. There are entire neighborhoods in Riverwoods, Olympia Fields, Glencoe, Highland Park, Hinsdale and Lake Forest filled with midcentury modern houses. If you've ever seen "Ferris Bueler's Day Off," the ravine house (where the Ferrari crashes thru the window) is a 1959 Keck & Keck in Highland Park. The problem is keeping idiots from knocking them down for McMansions.

26. synthsis

synthsis

without getting too far off on a tangent, you should check out if you already have not the livemodern forums, it's a slow board but some good info. A while back they were giving away for free some prefab steel modern homes on a Virigina naval/marine base. the catch was you need to go dismantle them yourself and get them outta there ASAP. A couple guys were making a big fuss like it was a big deal but I don't remember.

27. jimmyv

jimmyv

Here is mine. It was built around 1900. We have lived here about 15 years. It has 20 rooms and I have 10 remodeled. I guess I'll have the inside finished in another 15 years. The Vette fire was on the Interstate at the other end of our land. There have been several car fires and wrecks in almost the exact same spot.

Attached Files:

28. jimmyv

jimmyv

Oops don't know why the other pics did not show up. Here they are:

Attached Files:

29. mrkerb

mrkerb

Shulman actually did this photo as a double exposure. If you look at a good sized print, you can see the city light through the girl's dresses. I have been in that house - it's pretty incredible and still with the original owner.

30. laid55

laid55

I could keep my eye open for a sign.and let you know when I find one.maybe get a number or something.