Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom bead rolling....lotsa pic's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Nov 25, 2006.

1. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Shoot we have a hard enough time just doing beads and steps on normal panels. That is amazing work!

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very well done. Out-fuckin-standing, really. I've done some of that as well. I do have 1 question though...is it at times a "hard sell" or do you just do it and see if they like it? Years ago I did a Fairlane bracket car and did the door panels in a Thunderbolt logo, or I guess it was the big block Ford emblem...I lightly mentioned it and the guy was less than enthused. I went ahead and made 2 panels, and once he'd seen it he freaked out in a good way. Just curious how it "goes over". Or do you just do it. I'm certain that with pics around it's easier.

3. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i'm with jagerbomb on this one , definatly need a tech article on this stuff. outstanding work

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I a tech thingy on my website that was posted here last year but here it is agian,, www.datinmanjay.com/howto .

jbon64 if your near Springfield, come by the shop and I'll show ya!

5. rev383

rev383

Great work! Awesome talent!

6. flathead okie

flathead okie

THAT BLOWS MY MIND. Damn, I only wish I could roll a STRAIGHT bead, let alone something 1/4 as good as that. That is totaly.....FREAKING GREAT.

7. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Kev you are a madman.

BAADAAAAASSS

8. Merge

Merge

WOW! A tech would be very much appreciated!

9. Thats some awesome beads. Thanks for shareing

10. Jagerbomb......About a tech article, maybe I'll take some step by step pics sometime in the future but it's really not too hard. I think the thing that makes it easy is having a power bead roller. With the foot pedal you have ultimate control, I can't imagine doing some of this stuff with a manual roller. The only other advice I can offer is to not rush the job, just take your time and don't be surprised if you screw a panel up and have to start again. Basically you just draw the picture on the panel and follow the lines with your bead roller. Of course you have to stop and start several times before you're done. Always make a practice run with the rollers open to make sure you can reach all the lines. Alot of times I have to change the picture so I can actually roll it. It's alot simpler than you think, I guess like alot of things it just takes practice.

Highlander.......If I thought it would work on a guys car I would suggest it and they always went for it and liked it. In general I was always surprised how many guys didn't really have an idea about how they wanted their car built. Some do and want it a certain way but they are the minority.

Tinman....Nice work!! I used to do flames like that but now I found I can make longer flowing licks by not even connecting the first few inches. The tip is started with light pressure and I wind it down in the first inch or so. The inner curve is started way down the lick in the same manner and sometimes becomes the next long lick. They are not all pressd into a higher plane but the eye is fooled and they look fine. Probably better for larger panels than small.
    [​IMG]

11. Sracecraft

Sracecraft

Kiwi Kev,

Awesome!
    What grade aluminum do you use for the interior panels, and how thick is it? Any other info about the material would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Craig

12. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Kevin,
    Great work !! I gotta come by one of these days and get a garage tour.

13. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Great work, Kevin, you are truly the "master of the bead" roller.
    How is you 34 comming, any updates???

14. Cshabang

Cshabang

awesome work man...

15. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

16. Sracecraft........ I usually use 3003 H14 that is .050 thick. If it's a serious race car I'll go with 5052 that is .040. It's lighter but stiffer. Check the rule book if you're building a race car. It was a Rob Fornier book from the early 80's that told me to use the 3003-.050. No one taught me how to do this stuff, I figure it out as I go.
    Bobby....... Anytime man, Luke knows where I'm at. It's not as special as you might think.
    Dreadman....... I haven't touched the 34 for a while. It's not because I don't want to. I had to replace the right front frame on my daughters 63 Comet after a wreck so I could get it to the paint shop so that's taken alot of my time and now I have to do a bunch of fab work for the painter as we're working out a trade.
    Also thanks for the compliments guys. The H.A.M.B. is always good for an ego stroke. My wife and 2 teenage daughters really don't give a crap what goes on out in that garage.

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

absolutely incredible work... thanks for sharing it.... Now I don't even want to do my floor pans.:rolleyes:

18. Ahhh,

Excuse my ignorance, but how does it work?

Danny

19. Psychobilly......... If you look at the long blue part of the bead roller you will see 2 wheels. The wheels have a shape machined in them. You can adjust the wheels so they are pushing tight against each other. So you draw your lines on the panel then put it between the wheels and adjust them tight. Now you push the foot pedal and the wheels begin to turn and the shape that is on the wheel is transferred to the panel as it follows the line. Does that make sense?
    [​IMG]

20. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Here's a pic of a step roll, this is what makes the shape as it goes thru the machine. Depth is controled by tightening a wheel that squeezes the wheels closer together. Foot control for speed, one eye and some skill will do the rest.

A bead roll has a bead and reciever in the center, not the overlapping step in the pic. steps.jpg

21. Ahhh!!!!

I couldnt visualise how a bead roller could make the stepped down section in some of the designs.

Thanks guys!

Danny

22. Yukio_Asano

Yukio_Asano
    from San Jose

23. Here are a couple of panels I made that are rolled with the step dies.......
    [​IMG]

24. This pic shows some panels with the PVC coating still on. It comes either white or clear...........
    [​IMG]

25. Here are a few engine bays, the first one is a Studebaker pickup.......
    [​IMG]

26. Here's one where I rolled the beads with the female side up.........
    [​IMG]