Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stock model a daily driver?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sawracer, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Just asking because I sincerely don't know. Anyone drove or drive a stocker model A at least 20 miles a day on back roads (slow speeds up to 30-45 mph) on a regular basis? I may be able to swing another A but only if I sell my daily driver. Can a stock A be trusted to get me to work now and then, maybe two days a week? I know they were reliable when they were spring chickens but at 76 that ain't no spring chicken. Thanks.

2. Darwin

Darwin

It could be done but you might have to put in some work on the car to make it reliable enough and even then it would be rather problematic in bad weather. You can make a rodded Model A into a fine driver but a stocker is another matter. Also it wouldn't be worth a damn if you had to get somewhere down the highway in a fair hurry for some sort of emergency. If your other car can satisfy those requirements then by all means go ahead.

3. A friend of mine here drives a model a everywhere every day and puts a lotta miles on it. His father also drives a model a pickem up. Both have been modified but yeah I'd say they'd hold up just fine stock. Put in a little work here and there and I betcha her age won't mean diddly, she'll be happy just to be back on the road every day.

4. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

You know I kick my self in the ass all the time thinking about this. I could have kept my sedan complet and just drive it to work and back. But of coursed I didnt, I took it apart and started playing with it:eek: .

And yes they make great drivers. Mine was, untill I took it apart. I had it up to a blazeing 45 MPH's a few times but not for verry long. I would just cruise around town mainly. Verry fun, I suggest everyone should do it.:D
    Woulnt it be cool to see a bunch of these back and forth to work everyday?
    [​IMG]

5. noboD

noboD

If you can stick to back roads my only question would be WHY NOT? Make an ugly trip every day enjoyable.

6. snap too

snap too
    from lost wages

In the early '50s I had an old maid english teacher that drove hers back and forth to school for years,day in and day out , we teased the heck out of her then but I wish I had that '29 now. It was as dependable as the school bell. ---Harrah's auto museum had a fleet of A-bone pickups they used for parts runners , I would see them almost daily on the streets of Reno/Sparks winter or summer , wonder what ever happened to them ?

7. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

It would be awesome to see more of em on the road, HELL any cool cars, period. We'll see I will keep you posted. I can't help thinking about a restified coupe, freeway gears, just driveablilty concerns addressed. Do you call that a "banger"?

8. squirrel

squirrel

every other year the orange county model T club brings there cars here for a week of fun...they drive all over the place, 50-100 miles a day, all week. Most of the cars are modified, with Ruckstells, distributors, water pumps, etc. not much different from a stock A bone though

9. jetmek

jetmek

ABSOLUTELY! they are tough dependable cars. the only concern i have is the other lunatics on the road who get pissed at the old car thats in their way cause it aint doin 70+ they wont give you a break.

10. yngrodder

yngrodder

[ In the town that I live in there is a guy that bought a 30 sedan and drove it everyday for two years as his only means of transportation. he tore it apart and put a five speed in it and built a intake for it with two Sportster carbs on it now it runs 65 down the interstate with no problem (It also has hyd brakes now). Since then he has stirred a 8 other guys up and now Model As are a common sight everyday in my town of about 16000, it seems that the biggest factor is the carbs if you up grade the carb to a 32 carb or buy an intake and put two 94s or 97s on them they run a lot better. and it also seems the more they drive them the better they run. I would go for it but dont look for a reliable driver out of overnight it will be somethine you will have to drive and figure out all the little tricks.

11. Crease

Crease

My dad drove an A to work everyday (20 or so miles each way) for quite a while. I would make a few mods, such as a single down draft, maybe an electronic ignition and a high speed rear end, but I will definitely trust the car if kept up appropriately.

12. I drove mine every day for a year as a complete stocker, then I but a 'B' engine in it.
    I was 18 and it was my first and only car. I'm 22 now and still driving fairly stock 'A's everyday.

13. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

If I was going to run one everyday to commute, I'd probably change it to 12 volts, fit modern points, cap, condensor and leads and possibly even a downdraught carb. Just to take some of the weaker points out of the equation.
    Probably brake-floaters as well, just so I know it'll stop. All in all, maybe a weekend's work.
    Then I'd just drive the ass of it!

Just do it, fella.

14. 4 2 GO

4 2 GO

Our Model A club regularly (every two years) drive stock or slightly modified A's back and forth across Australia; about 3500 miles each way. Up to 400 miles a day if we are in a hurry, less if we are visiting on the way.
    Monthly runs up to 200 miles in a day are also common. Just get it set up and go.

15. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

if i remember right, Rod and Kulture or one of those types did a story about 4 years ago about a guy in upper state NY who drove his through the winter... if i remember he WD40'd the whole thing so it wouldn't rust and had driven it every for the previous5-10 years.

16. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Update I bought an older correct restoration. Yes I am gonna drive it to work. I now have a little experience behind the wheel of her and I'm sure we'll be fine on my commute.

17. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Post some pictures......haveing fun downshifting the non syncro yet?

18. Terry

Terry

Way to go! I envy you.

19. willys_truck

willys_truck

20. Squablow

Squablow

Never had one as a daily but drove them cross-country (4000 miles at a crack) in the Great Race.

I've got a complete 28 or 29 chassis and running gear for my '26 T roadster body to go on and I'm not going to mod the motor up much at all.

If I had a nice stocker to start with, the only things I'd change would be hydraulic brakes and one of those in-the-driveshaft overdrive units. Our Great Race speedsters with stock motors and overdrives were clocked doing 85, they're pretty fast. 12 volts, electric fans, 16" wheels are also nice but not necessary.

21. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Here you go. And yes, Downshifting sucks. The embarassing thing is I actually have a commercial class A license and I can't shift a non synchro for shit. Let's hope I improve before I lunch the gearbox. [​IMG]

22. Drove this bone stock 31 for 2 years in High school as a daily driver in 61/62. Now I drive the yellow one as a daily driver from May untill mid September. (the yellow one's been modified a little).

Attached Files:

23. fourbangerford

fourbangerford
    from east Tn

Im 17 and i've driven my 28 special coupe to school and back every day for 2 years. I frequently take it on 100 mile round trips and it does just fine. Its completely stock other than a 6-volt alternator

24. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Thats sick!! Keep daily drivin that thing.

FOURBANGERFORD- Post some pics of your special coupe. I have a 29 special coupe and i love to see pics of other's.

25. Bluesfella

Bluesfella

So, how exactly do you drive a non-synchro? My truck ('66 Chevy) has a 3-speed, and there's no synchro between 1st and 2nd. I still haven't figured out how to downshift properly!

26. Ice man

Ice man

View attachment 468091 I drive a 29 Pk Up as a daily driver. All original except for a mild B / 5 sp. Wouldn't have it any other way. And we have mountains here.

Attached Files:

27. 61TBird

61TBird

That is one sweet A! (I now must hate you)