Register now to get rid of these ads!

History yesteryears fillin stations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by breeder, Oct 28, 2006.

1. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

i like to take shots of old buildings..mainly old gas stations..heres a couple i took this summer..have another up the block from our restaurant..ive got more photos but there on the work comp...anyone else have old shots of stations...:)

Attached Files:

• 11.JPG
      11.JPG
      File size:
      73.5 KB
      Views:
    • 22.JPG
      22.JPG
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
    biggeorge likes this.
  2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would love to have a old gas station for a shop,I would have it with the pumps and all with a late 50s or early 60s theme . Jeff

3. Not a photo but one of my favorite drawings of the old gas station days with kool rides pulling in for the high test. :)

Attached Files:

4. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

me to!!im goin to build my office in my shop to look like an old station..were goin to live in the shop till our hous is built so ill fix it up as an apartment at first...

5. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Here's a picture I made a couple of years ago of an old Red Hat station in Alabama. I had passed by it many times always thought it was a neat looking old store. Passed by one day and they were tearing down one side of the building which was built on at a later date. Underneath the additon was this cool red hat billboard painted on the side of the original store.

Luckily I had a camera with me and made a couple of pictures. Doesn't show much of the building, I was mostly intersted in getting a picture of what was left of the sign.

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  6. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

7. TINGLER

TINGLER

Cool thread.

Heres a pic of a "Super Service" in my hometown of Grantsville WV. Not a filling station actually, but close.

The building is still there....although I don't think anyone in that town gives a damn about the history.

That town recently demolished a building that was built in the 1920's......and most of the other buildings have become victims of poverty and neglect.

Grantsville is simply dissappearing.

[​IMG]

8. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

kool!!the only thing i have thats related to this is these..they came off an old filling station from the 50's...my friend up the road gave them to me after the highway went through where there home used to be....and yes, the back deck on my doublewide[jealous??]:rolleyes: , is a flatbed off of a 37 chev graintruck....its goin to my new home...well, it will be on my shop this time..tired of listening to the bitchin!!!:D

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  9. [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm sure a few GMB's know of this one.

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  10. 48ford

48ford

There is one restored in downtown Shamrock texas,but I don't have a picture of it.

russ

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i just tossed out a couple lights EXACTLY like those when i did my spring cleaning. can't remember where i got em but i was sick of having them layin around so i tossed em. i hated to do it but i only have so much space and i hate my yard messy.

12. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

thats a bummer...id like to have 2 more!!!
    thanks GOD i live on a farm or id be in your boat...:D

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

this one was somwhere in Nebraska i think? neat little town, there was another station that was converted to a junk collector shop that was way older but we were afraid to park in front and get run off!

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  14. Lucas

Lucas

I'm new to this board, but I'm the current owner of an old gas station. My family owned and operated it since the late '40s, until we were shut down 4 or 5 years ago. I'll scan some pics out of my scrapbook and post 'em up here when i get a chance.

15. Lucas

Lucas

If I remember correctly, this first picture was taken in 1947 or 1948. The second pic is from the station that my great grandfather had before he bought the other one. I think that pic is from the earlys '40s

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  16. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Great book I have:
    Pump and circumstance by John Margolies.

Great pics of old pumps and stations.

I work for OPW...we make Gas hose nozzles and have for a LONG time. Our office is full of old pics and pump noszzles, etc.

Glenn

17. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

thats a neat shot!!!! welcome to the HAMB by the way!!!:)

18. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

19. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Another cool one
    R0010061B (Small).jpg

20. stacks1938

stacks1938

This is an interesting thread. I recently visited Atoka OK (between Dallas and Tulsa) and there sits an old Phillips 66, all red brick gas station. It is cool beyond words with its gabled roof and window treatments. It has two old electric pumps and one hand pump/gravity flow pump. This is a very historical building, and it looks like it is about to be torn down. I thought at the time that I wish I had a means to broadcast the pending doom of this really neat gas station. I sincerely hope someone in that area can rescue it.

21. stacks1938

stacks1938

Here are a couple of shots of it ....

Attached Files:

22. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

This one is from the Rt 66 tour from 05 HAMB Drags. It was at that "arttown" place.
    Gene

Attached Files:

23. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

[​IMG]Here is one that a nearby old tyme hot rodder took apart limestone by limestone block and put back together on about 20 acres. I understand that he has plans on having car shows there. I think gas is .27 a gallon.
    Ol Blue

24. ...oddly enuf here's a couple I just took a couple weeks ago...first one is in 50dodge4x4's backyard, Freeport, Illinois,...the other one's in Polo, Illinois. The small part is the original building with the overhead door section added later in the 50's.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOU WELLS likes this.

25. Very cool.

P.S. Rusty1.... I love the Malibu. I'd trade almost everything I own for just a plain 65.

26. ...this old building is across the street from the blue and white one in Polo in the above post; it was built in 1937 and the date is cast in mortar up on the upper part of the building. It was last used as a part of a lumber company. I really like this building; it'd make a cool shop/storage building. Also oddly enuf 2 buildings to the left of it was an old Shell gas station where I and both my brothers worked at partime thru high school in the 60's.
    In the late 50's early 60's; Polo had 8-9 full service gas stations all doing very well in a town of only 2400 population. How times have changed. Now Polo still has that same population but only 3 self-serve stations and no full service ones
    [​IMG]

27. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

heres a couple of scarrylarrys..start droolin kids:eek: :cool:ita an old cigar co. the is of the men rollin stoggies!!!the koolest shit ive ever seen for sure!!:cool:

Attached Files:

Mikel50 likes this.
  28. rt66jt

rt66jt
    from York, PA

Sure looks like the Dew Drop Inn in Shamrock, TX