Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lee Pratt Is Dangerous

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, May 17, 2023.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Lee Pratt Is Dangerous

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I have said this before, everything Lee builds is perfect. I was probably 11 when his Buick was in SRM and fell in love.

[​IMG]

3. A Boner

A Boner

Wasn’t 11 when I first saw it, but when I saw it, I liked it!

Outback, lothiandon1940 and Tman like this.
  4. Random thoughts about this post:

Skylark Wires might be one of my favorite wheels ever.
    How does Lee where Chucks all day? I'm only 46 and my back hurts after wearing them for an hour.
    I'm dying to know more details about the camera war...
    I love purple. My dad and Lee were friends back in the Iowa days, and I think my car is Purple because of Lee, and specifically the 41 Buick.
    Lee recognized my car at Day of the Drags a few years ago and we had a great chat about the old days, and my dad who passed away in 2006. Salt of the earth guy without an ounce of pretense.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Details here:

https://www.gearjournal.com/2012/03/the-stolen-leica-m3/

In the end, I was contacted by a HAMBer living in Mexico City. He read my post and agreed to go to the pawn shop and pick up my camera. When he did so, he was told to go fuck himself.

So, I called the police... It took some lubrication, but eventually I got them to go get the camera for me and ship it back to Texas.

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Nice paint+ scallops + custom flames on the Nomad...

"I had a Leica M3 stolen from me."
    We would all be so lucky to have owned or used a Leica camera. We should be so fortunate... but why sell it?

"Skylark Wires might be one of my favorite wheels ever."
    upload_2023-5-17_9-2-34.png Totally agree! The 1963-64 version of my 58 Impala. Still with 300+ hp and the C&O stick hydro, but, now, a set of custom Buick Skylark Wire Wheels. Thanks, @themoose for a great mod...

How does Lee where Chucks all day? I'm only 46 and my back hurts after wearing them for an hour.
    upload_2023-5-17_18-12-2.png
    The classic low cut "Chucks" during our Baja, Mexico surf trips...

My last set of Chuck Taylor, low cut tennies was when I was 40. But, they were not for playing basketball for me. I twisted my ankle using the low cut versions in a one on one game. So, they were relegated to daily non basketball usage. I had some better high top shoes for that purpose.

The Chuck Taylor versions needed help for all around comfort. I had padded orthopedic inserts in each side and that allowed me comfort all day and helped in driving long distances, too. But, they never saw a basketball court, again.

Jnaki

By the time the new high top Air Jordans came out, they made all "tennies" obsolete for any daily wear or competition. After several different Air Jordan models, one still resides in my closet ready for usage... as a daily or dress shoe... total comfort included without added pads... YRMV

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

GREAT STORY, Ryan……start to finish! Kudos for not giving up….

Ray

8. x2.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good shit

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. WOW! Great story. Glad you got the camera back, but what a story it created.

11. wandi harry

wandi harry

Too many arseholes in the world, (and l certainly don’t mean Lee)

12. love his cars... all bad ass!

whoodooman likes this.
  13. whoodooman

whoodooman
    from TEXAS

Not only am I a sucker for Nomads, but his ‘55 is one of my favorite customs of all time. Also one of my favorite LSRU designs by E.Black:

*1st is not my photo
    IMG_3471.jpeg

IMG_3472.jpeg

14. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

"Vintage Leica gear is so tactile… so precise… so wonderfully crafted. I twisted the 50mm summicron on the M3 body and began to play with my new toy. Sliding the wind lever was like cocking a high-end firearm. Hitting the shutter button felt like dry firing the same"

Very well written sir... that painted a very crisp picture in my head. When you pick up a well made piece of gear, this is how it feels, even if it is something as simple as an ARP bolt.

Cheers,
    Harv

15. Ryan, there is precious little info on the web about Lee’s other great passion, his sculpture work. Just a pic or two on his Instagram page, none of his earlier work:

https://www.instagram.com/leeprattcustoms/

If you can link us to more about his creations, it would be much appreciated.

Here is a link to wife Suzanne’s Facebook page on her art. Lots of Lee pics- and others from the hot rod world- but little about his art.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502902808

IMG_0136.jpeg

A quote from from Lee about his sculpture work that is on her FB page:

“My goal is to circumvent the predictable and undermine the obsession of what is thought to be traditional in sculpture."⁣

IMG_0137.jpeg

By the way, the photo of Suzanne and Lee was taken by Diane Branch.

Last edited: May 20, 2023
  16. Rand Man

Rand Man

He must be a great guy. I’ve always heard he rules. I also wear insoles in my Chucks. Love em. I’m also at war over some Desoto grill teeth that that I paid for. Mine were never shipped and I will never forget. Nobody likes a thief.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. BLAKE

BLAKE

That's my photo from 2014, just before the Nomad was fired up and test-driven to the gas station for a fill-up.

Man, I miss the days of hanging at Lee's place in Austin. Good times.
    [​IMG]

18. sololobo

sololobo

Lee is one of the coolest cats ever. I have been crazy about every build he has done. I was standing next to an open parking spot at the fabulous show at the Power Station when Lee filled the parking spot with his beautiful gold 40 Coupe. I walked over and told him I admired it, and he was so nice and warmly ask where I was from, and he took time to look at our car we brought at Ryan's invitation, Dick Warsocki's Speedster!

chryslerfan55, Outback and Tim like this.
  19. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I love that Nomad, have re-read the TRJ article so many times. Great story @Ryan, not only in the outcome but in the telling!

chryslerfan55 likes this.