Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects THE KAYS SPEED COUPE

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Austin kays, Mar 4, 2023.

1. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Always liked the 35-36 bodies as the last of the pronounced body reveals, thought this build was going wrong when the rear quarters were lost, but must admit the 'A" replacements look to fill the voids in handsome fashion. A bit of well thought out & creative metal massage probably in order to create a diminishing sweeping arch to marry up the wider 36 reveal from the rear roof area to the narrow "A" quarter reveal.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@dirt car yeah it’s something on paper that seems like it shouldn’t work but I totally does. All ya gotta do is cut the car up in every direction until it looks right!

need to sit it next to a stocker sometime

chryslerfan55, Jet96, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  3. Austin kays

Austin kays

yeah I think the A quarters really help keep the car in proportion ive seen a few fenderless 36s non of really have a great flow and size to them in my own opinion. and you are right once I line up that body line it should bring it all together :)

4. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Austin, Kill'n it on flow...
    Dead on, Fender less mid 30's Ford's..
    Lil' cobweb flow into That roof, Off the quarter line.... Most would never know! Love the proportions!!!$

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Austin kays like this.
  5. Just.dale

Just.dale

The more I see it the more I like it, like Austin said, the 35-36’s do not look good fender less but this thing is badass!!!!

6. The truth is at least in my opinion is that the '34 was the last of the easy fenderless hot rods. The '35/'36 in original trim really need fenders.

That said there is a neat trick you can do with a '37 tudor sedan. But I'll never do it so we can leave that one out of the mix. LOL

7. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Yes, if someone were to describe that lil' coupe to me verbally, I would not picture it looking good... However, seeing is believing and that rig is ridiculously cool!

8. rebstew187

rebstew187

I’m digging’ everything I see. Not sure why a small few always have to run their pie hole though. Build it how you see fit. Their butt’s not going to be in the drivers seat. Keep the pics and progress coming.

9. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

This is lookin cool! Out of the box good thinking! The proportions are looking great! Keep it up!!

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

This little coupe is pretty cool.

Stogy, Austin kays and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  11. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im digging it. Like others the last highboys were 34s but this seems to work so far. #makingplowboyproud

Stogy likes this.
  12. I lost track of this, but now am subscribed. I was going to do a post about the math 36+29=65 divide by 2 equals almost a 33, but after seeing the dust up a while back, I am thinking, let that lay. I took the liberty of putting that early photo on the coolest pictures thread back in April, I love it, hope that was okay, generally I ask permission, but like I said I lost track. I hope you manage to keep the packard grille, it puts you in the company of the original Omaha speed and Jim Sibley for cool nose/hood construction and looks, or even X38 with his sloper build. Man I love my time on the hamb. Be well, carry on.

13. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Any progress?

-Brent- likes this.
  14. n847

n847

So bitchin! I'll be following!

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The scissors tape and iPads have come out

IMG_7323.jpeg IMG_7324.jpeg Stay tuned for the twist and turns of the speed coupe!

Okie Pete, brEad, elgringo71 and 15 others like this.
  16. Anderson

Anderson

I have had this saved for a long time...but don't remember anything about it, if i ever knew
    DSC06923.jpg

hfh, Okie Pete, roddering and 5 others like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The fat ford in front looks familiar I think it’s a bonneville regular from Iowa I think ? @redzula might recognize it

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. redzula

redzula

That's Gene Cross. 48 4 door and signed by thousands of people probably it's completely covered in signatures. There is a little bit about it in my 47 thread. Super cool dude.

That canoe on top is 2 40 ford hoods welded together. He still had that laying out behind his shop last time I was there.

IMG_20191123_111118.jpg

Is that speed coupe... this speed coupe or is there another one floating around somewhere

19. If we are cluttering up this thread with other builds I will throw this one in from the poor man’s three window thread here on the hamb. It caused a bit of a stir… 3F6B6BC8-5F71-4141-9FC4-60407E39C9FD.jpeg

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

that’s a different car all together Austins is new

redzula likes this.
  21. LOL even I have signed that one.

Jet96, Sancho, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  22. micshotrodgarage

micshotrodgarage
    from colorado

Count me in as a fan, Looking forward to the up-dates!1

23. Austin kays

Austin kays

well life is a fucking ride fellas the whole point of this car was to look and feel like an a lakes style 33/34 and lo and behold Ive manage to wrangle up this a 34 5 window of all things! what should I do!? austins 34.jpg

panhead_pete, drdave, brEad and 7 others like this.
  24. Austin kays

Austin kays

shelf the speed coupe body and put the real deal on it? IM CONFLICTED NOW haha

Sancho likes this.
  25. 60Pioneer

60Pioneer

Austin I followed along (silently) on the Can-o-beans sedan and the radical coupe. Both of them are fuckin winners man. Get yourself another frame for the 5W and build them both. I’m sure both of these will be killer when you’re done.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
  26. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Build the 34!

Tim likes this.
  27. Well, it is sitting in a shack you know. A how how how.

Tim and Outback like this.
  28. Son, y’all got a problem. My advice would be finish the project you already have and then if you decide you want to build the other one build an early style dirt racer ( ala NASCAR)

Budget36 likes this.
  29. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Oh the conundrum! Haha
    Surely you need to mock the 5 window up before making the decision! Hmmm ;)

30. Of course @Austin kays needs mock up the 5 window. And don’t call him Shirley! He he.

Austin kays and Outback like this.