Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Marching forward 1-2-4-3, Banger time...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodfil, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Star 351 likes this.
  2. Star 351

Star 351

It sits way better than it did 2 years ago 20230314_011007.jpg

Jet96, Stogy, Old Dawg and 7 others like this.
  3. Star 351

Star 351

Today was a success ended jetting both carbs up to stock jets and made it much happier, adjusted brakes (repro Lincoln brakes), cleaned the plugs, locked out the choke levers and few other bits and pieces, hot idle it has 30psi of oil pressure and 40psi above idle, driving around with the vacuum gauge hooked up it has 14-15 inches of vacuum at 60mph and cruises along quite nicely at 60-65 mph (3.54 gears and no od, b trans with v8 gears) it definitely has no problem keeping up with modern traffic, we are quite happy with it right now, dad @phill is taking it for a journey tomorrow so we'll find out how well it does then

4. When a modified Mallory Dist. failed (it kept jumping out of the cyl. head clamp); I went to my friendly parts store and came up with a distributor from a Clark lift truck. I put a Pertonix in it for a trigger to a MSD C.D. box and coil. It woke that engine up; but broke a spring boss & valve on a CRAGAR OHV.; and finally a crank. A couple of engines later I came up with a 5 main engine using the same ignition; a Crower crank with a cam designed by Dema Elgin. Max torque peaks at 2700 r.p.m.; is near flat to 4700 r.p.m. where peaks horsepower. Double valve springs are spiral wound. A design pioneered by Art Sparks and Tim Witham. Sparks' car won Indy in 1946. He also was one of the 1st to produce forged pistons. Phil Hill took a valise of S & W valve springs to Italy and put it on Enzo Ferrari's desk!

29 Speedster, Jet96 and Outback like this.
  5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

For a long time, Per-Lux (Petronix) were OE on Clark and Towmotor lifts

Outback likes this.
  6. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

What size tires are you running? It sits just right.

Star 351 and Outback like this.
  7. Trial fitted a new oil pump from RKE (the same company making Rotoshim shocks) in the Burtz block tonight. Pressure set to 30psi.
    842ACF05-BC90-46D7-9E38-58F136004CC9.jpeg
    85107D8F-DB9E-40C9-992F-B9A419498588.jpeg

8. Star 351

Star 351

7.00x16 5.00x16 Stahl sport radials

Stogy likes this.
  9. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I finally have some new "bangers" to share. I am looking for any more info on either one that may help with getting them going eventually.

The D.O. HAL is on a 5 main block with gear drive cams. These always intrigued me as there is one in the local museum ( www.emmr.org ) called the "Offy Killer". That has always stood out to me as a neat deal to have a somewhat Ford based engine that was competitive with the big offenhausers. The engine needs checked over and some adjustments before it is ready to run but it seems to be complete and has had some freshening up here and there at some point.

The S.O. McDowell is a complete basket case project. There is nothing in the block and all of the other parts are just loosely bolted together. This is a chain driven cam. It's a 4 port head which seems to have been redone at some point along with the cam and bucket assembly. But all of the chain drive parts will need work along with the oiling and water systems. Everything appears to be there to make it go aside from some parts in the angle drive for the magneto but I think it will end up with a side drive setup instead anyways as I'd like to try to put it in a 32 Roadster. If anyone has a side drive with water pump that they'd part with, let me know.

I'd like to find any info that may be out there on these related to timing them, etc. I've only had them a few days so it's all new to me having only really ever dealt with flathead 4's before.

Thanks for any input - Zach

Attached Files:

Stogy, Jet96, Old Dawg and 3 others like this.
  10. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

We have a couple of those HAL's at work, what size is it? 116ci?

Stogy and Flatdash like this.
  11. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I haven't measured myself but supposedly 212", it's a full size one, not midget.

Stogy and Outback like this.
  12. The HAL measured 4”bore and 4.25 stroke when checked last year
    Good to see it out in the daylight
    J

13. Last discussion about HALs that I remember was Bluto talking about the problems he was having with his machinist... man, I really miss him.

Zach, great to see you back and congrats on the Hemming article!!!

Stogy, Outback, studebakerjoe and 2 others like this.
  14. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Does it need any modifications to fit ? may think of one for my B motor .

hotrodfil likes this.
  15. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Thank you!
    I miss bluto too, he was a good guy!

Stogy, Outback, Old Dawg and 2 others like this.
  16. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Thanks!
    Do you know anything about the gear tower? There's some lash issues with the gears that seem to need attention before trying to run it.

17. No
    Did not dig into this motor
    It could be partially chain drive
    0C1043BA-841C-4DCF-9273-45A17F8FE014.jpeg

Attached Files:

GuyW, Stogy, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  18. Pops right in like a stock pump.

trikejunkie and Outback like this.
  19. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Braw , that may well be on my list before Pendine

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  20. Well, I'm happy to report that I got my rebuilt engine with super winfield 7:1 head to fire up on my run stand today! Gonna clean up the engine bay on my truck and slide that puppy in!

Stogy, Jet96, Crazydaddyo and 7 others like this.
  21. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

What else have you done to the engine?

22. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Spent the day welding up a hybrid set of T/A connecting rods for a friends motor. I swore I would never do this again… but now that SCAT cranks/rods have become difficult to get, back to the ol fashioned way

178D273E-D8DF-48B5-AE18-F0A52945DF41.jpeg

GuyW, Jet96, Crazydaddyo and 6 others like this.
  23. Its a iron super winfield with 7:1 compression. Engine is running a SU1A cam, has lightened flywheel and a counter balanced crank, I have a Mallory distributor and a winfield downdraft BB carb for it. But I fired it up with a B distributor and a stock updraft.

BiscayneBrain, Old Dawg and Outback like this.
  24. Matthew Davis

Matthew Davis

Absolute new guy here, our first model a. We bought this a couple months ago and in the paperwork was a non detailed invoice for a rebuild written on a legal pad, tried to track the guy down but he passed a year or so ago. We pulled the oil pan to get a look at what we could and mostly just wanted to see it first hand as we have never worked with one before. My question is what is the brass on the rods/mains? Are they shims for the babbits? Also, is there anything in these pics that jumps out to any of you experienced guys.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  25. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

The brass things are bearing shims- usually laminated- you peel laminations off to tighten/adjust the bearing clearance. The ones on the rods should look like the #4 rod. Looks like a few of the others were not inserted all the way in for some reason. I would loosen the rod caps on those rods and push the shims all the way in and then retorque the rods to 50 ft-lbs.

Outback likes this.
  26. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thanks @Hitchhiker that I think is the sort of combination I'll be aiming for.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Parts from the pile on to the car. My father built his T when he was about 12 or so. He was out for Thanksgiving and saw an early T column I had in the pile, mentioned he almost bought one at a swap meet. Said he should just use that one. Fast forward, my son and I drove out from Tucson to install it. Learned why it was so cheap...someone mangled the crap out of the brass bits with a mallet. Bit of lathe work, swapped a few parts and in it went.

Attached Files:

Old Dawg and Jet96 like this.
  28. I'll report back how it runs

Outback likes this.
  29. This mag drive is pretty bare unfortunately. I've noticed it's got a similar 3 bolt mount, as does a side drive governor. Before I purchase one, does anyone know if it will even work together?

Essentially I was thinking of removing most of the governor so it's just the mount and the shaft. s-l1600.jpeg 335971111_768205421402541_2064729745279324721_n.jpeg

Old Dawg and stubbsrodandcustom like this.
  30. RussTee

RussTee

Interesting looking side drive there are enough of them around to prove they did work however having tryed to use a mag in the city I would advise against it they are good on long straight runs or racing but for short bursts between lights on city blocks they can be a bit of a pain tending to stumble slightly.. I went the route of buying one of Pat Garrys front plates and run a modern style Mallory dizzy with a balanced coil and a high torque starter what a difference instant start and trouble free running all day even on 1000 mile trips I am very happy with it.

Crazydaddyo likes this.