Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod & Custom Prospects at Auction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Hot Rod & Custom Prospects at Auction

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Hard to narrow down choices from this collection, I picked two more....the Stuzt some Buffalo wires and a slight lowering and the DeSoto taxi a later MoPar slant six and full resto rod w/ patina! Those original cars, I have the Joe Mac vibe for 'em...just a shave and haircut here and there, no chopping or fender toss, pour classic hardware into stock drive lines! I can't see molesting original cars anymore, cut up and older hot rod....ple nty of them to be found! I almost added that T fire truck! Can't you picture it smokin' up the Long Beach hill climb?!

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and Jive-Bomber like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

1932_Chrysler_CLIC8C_Roadster_14_ffww6q.jpg
    This one right here, this is for me.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dang! Some cool stuff!

5. catdad49

catdad49

That Comet and siblings sold a lot of cars. Always have had a thing for the 1964 Comet Cyclone (I could even live with the simulated chrome wheels for a minute or two)!

6. I have dreams of pulling a V860 midget around behind a hot rod...

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I look at the picture of the T roadster above I think of Mark Morton's T speedster. Very cool.

8. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I was involved with the build on this '23 T .

Joe Runyan T.jpg

9. 41SpecialSSE

41SpecialSSE
    from Chicago

That T roadster is pretty fantastic and I want it! I remember the twin-grille Zephyr from Lee Hartung's museum in Glenview.

10. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I built Marks "T" !

chryslerfan55, rod1 and Just Gary like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2023-3-30_4-56-59.png
    Hello,

Sometimes, it is fun watching an auction. A good friend took me to a local used car auction back in 1960-61. His dad had a licensed auto resale registration. He made his money buying and selling used cars. He worked for a small used car lot and asked his son to go to an auction in Pomona. It was not associated with any hot rod organization nor were there any hot rods for sale. It was a constant flow of used cars that were bid on and rolled away sold. It was like seeing a cattle auction on a TV cowboy show.

The cars were not the high end performance cars, but everyday driver types. A lot of 4 door cars and some two door sedans that could have been teenage cars or daily drivers. It was confusing and crowded as other car sales folks were also there to buy several cars or one specific car. But, the idea of cars rolling across the little stand area and a guy rattling off stuff like we have all seen announcers yell was interesting first hand. They did sell for a lot lower than we normally see in the local newspaper advertisements, due to the cars being everyday cars and this was a wholesale place.

My friend said the low price was the base and his dad would raise the cost, after they went through the car to make sure it ran well. It was purely a profit place for buyers (all licensed dealers) and the action was fast. Everyone seemed to have a limit as to the value of each daily driver car that rolled up to the staged area.

Jnaki

Well, it was pure business as those cars would go to someone’s small used car lot. Not for a collection of sorts. My friend’s dad bought two cars at super low prices. They were nothing to “to write home about…” I drove his car home while he and his dad drove the newly purchased cars. YRMV
    upload_2023-3-30_4-58-26.png
    I would buy the Comet sedan, take all of the decals off and remove the light/wind deflector. It is a nice silver color and the extra stuff just makes it look awful. While I know my wife would buy the Tahitian Red 40 Ford Convertible. After watching a TV series called “1928,” now, she is thinking that the cool Silver open convertible might look nice in our garage, if it would fit. Our granddaughter would love it. But, she would fall over, totally surprised, if and when we came over to pick her up for her high school graduation day ride, in that Silver open top convertible.
    upload_2023-3-30_4-59-5.png With me driving in a nice suit and matching cap. Ha!!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    chryslerfan55, alanp561 and hfh like this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

another auction soon in Sacramento, CA --- 2 or 3 threads here about this---Rabin Worldwide Classic Cars, Trucks & Hot Rod Bodies -- April 14 online bidding only

13. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Squablow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the most beautiful Chrysler ever built. I love everything about it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This interior rocks... no frills, pure motoring...

[​IMG]

This "minit-lube" sticker is killing me. Imagine taking your 1 of 1 coachbuilt Chrysler to Jiffy Lube!