Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Jalopy Auction House!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 8, 2023.

1. nosnhojguy

nosnhojguy

Will it be a new section here or a complete new web site?

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It will be a stand alone new website, It is just being promoted here

engine138, Speed Gems and Sancho like this.
  3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

When will it be live?

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The site is ready, so as soon as Ryan gets enough auctions posted to launch it, should be very soon

lothiandon1940 and Sancho like this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No.

Moriarity likes this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm hoping in the next week or two. Small set back with a health thing this week, but momentum is still forward.

40two and Sancho like this.
  7. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Just so ya know this is the best time, 'cause tax season brings refund checks.;)

8. Ryan, please don't forget I have a $30k reserve on my 39/40 Ford chopped convertible sedan if you put it in your auction. JW

9. cabong

cabong

Great idea !! Just make sure you have done your homework... I have dealt with BaT successfully, although they have at time puckered my jibs.

10. it will be intresting to see how this will work out. I was a member of a military collectibles site which had a good working private market place.
    Then the owners decided to open an auction site for members but kept the old market place open.
    Unfortunately the old market place was so well established that the auction site, though it was well made, could not draw enough people from the old market place and was closed after some months.
    Good luck to your new project, I hope it will be fine.

11. missysdad1

missysdad1

This is a great idea. The main reason I have not listed my roadster on eBay or Bring A Trailer is the fees they charge the seller. I want to ask a reasonable price and have it listed at that price, and not feel requred to inflate the asking price to cover the often-too-damn-high fees demanded by the auction/sale site. Yes, they deserve to be compensated for the service they provide, but not at the expense of the seller who is asking a fair price for what he is selling.

R A Wrench, guthriesmith and seadog like this.
  12. Rand Man

Rand Man

I’m interested. I’ll have to go back and read the fine print, as to if it’s restricted to pre-1965 cars.

13. @Ryan if you list your car, and the bid doesn't reach the reserve, is there still no fee for the seller?

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan, will you have a mechanism in place to prevent buyers from contacting the seller directly to avoid paying the 3.5% buyers premium? I know on that large e*** site it used to happen quite a bit in order to avoid paying the e*** fees. Hopefully your new site will mask the sellers identity so this can't happen. Or are you not allowing communication between buyer and seller, or maybe moderating the communication?

FYI, I'm willing to volunteer for moderating buyer/seller communication if that's what you're planning.

dirt t, hrm2k, lostn51 and 3 others like this.
  15. Billy_Bottle_Caps

Billy_Bottle_Caps

Looking forward to this

BBC

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Correct. I am not charging the seller anything at all, no matter what.

In the future, we might have a small charge for cars with a reserve, but not for now... It's absolutely free.

hrm2k, Sancho, ratrodrodder and 2 others like this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I do have a system in place for that. I also hope people value what I do enough to not do that kind of shit... but, you know... people....

hrm2k, Sancho, guthriesmith and 2 others like this.
  18. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Ugh, people can be the worst! :D

Hoping this does well - I recall BAT back when it was various Craigslist finds and seemingly mostly projects, now it seems like it's all high-dollar stuff that's very much out of my wallet's reach. I realize this isn't meant to fill that 'project-car' niche, but the pre-'65 focus is still appreciated! Good luck with it!

19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Let’s get off the taxes please.

Thanks

jimmy six, hrm2k, missysdad1 and 5 others like this.
  20. Mo rust

Mo rust

It would be nice if sale dates would try to match the larger swap meet dates if they are in the same basic area. That way if the buyer or potential buyer has two reasons to go to that swap meet. Either to pick up his purchase or if you time the auction to close on Saturday of the swap meet, he can possibly see the car or parts stash that he's going to bid on ahead of time. I've been wanting to get something like that going for years. You could even arrange to have the auction itself at the swap meet.

21. Good luck Ryan, I sincerely hope this new site outperforms your wildest expectations! HRP

buddyamigo likes this.