Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1963 chevrolet impala door card removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harleyv89, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Harleyv89

Harleyv89

Hi,
    I think the window regulator has gone in my 1963 impala 4 door pillerless as it wont go all the way up it stops about 2 inches from the top so im just wondering how i get the drivers side door panel off? Id rather ask first then break clips etc.

Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

didn't they still have nails back then? remove handles and armrest and lock button. Gently pry the panel out just enough so you can see what retains it. If it has nails, good luck....you need to pry on each side of the nail, right next to it, and be slow and careful. There might also be a few screws along the bottom, or at least in the corners, look closely. Once you've got the front/bottom/rear loose, lift the panel up to disengage the lip that fits over the top edge of the door.

Just Gary, 427 sleeper and 302GMC like this.
  3. Harleyv89

Harleyv89

thanks mate, surely they still didn't use nails but i will have a look tonight

4. squirrel

squirrel

The nails are welded to a metal strip that's part of the door card.

427 sleeper likes this.

5. Harleyv89

Harleyv89

oh ok lovely haha, how donthe window winders come off? Special tool?

6. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

You should be able to find the handle, clip tool at the store.
    If you ask around your buddies may have one.
    Some guys get lucky just snagging the clip with a rag.

7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Dont forget the screws under the armrest A long putty knife to find the clips

8. squirrel

squirrel

oops forgot that you might not know about the handle clips....

crank.jpg

this fits under the handle, then you push it a bit to release the clip. You can do it with a hook instead, but it's tricky.

Just Gary likes this.
  9. inthweedz

inthweedz

You don't need a special tool to remove the handle clip..
    Slip a rag across behind the handle and pull it thru, it'll snag on the end of the clip and remove it, watch out tho, the clips sometime disappear right in front of you.. lol.

10. Budget36

Budget36

Not sure of differences, but newer vehicles I use a shop rag and kinda “saw” where the clip is to pop them out.
    I know if I bought a real tool it would be a one timer before I couldn’t find it the next time I needed it;)

Algoma56 likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

Quicker typer;)

12. 1pickup

1pickup

former '63 owner here. Get the handle tool. And yes, @squirrel is right. The cards had metal strips around the edges with "nails" built into them that get pushed into plastic receptors that are in the door. Or, supposed to be, if they haven't disintegrated. They can be bought new too. Gentle prying and they come off easy. I have some extra aftermarket nail strips if you are in the need. Can't find a pic of what it looks like, so I'll just add one of the car. 4201450-27740c60beff549fcee0597cbe982f99.jpg

Just Gary likes this.
  13. indyjps

indyjps

14. A forked tool like you dig weeds with will work. In the factory we had a snap on tool for popping door pads. Then a better one that I don’t remember the brand. Also a door handle clip tool. We could pull a pad in just a few minutes when the car was going down the line. Running about 55 cars an hour. Just get the right tool and don’t bugger the pad.

15. Harleyv89

Harleyv89

Thanks everyone for the information its much appreciated

16. Harleyv89

Harleyv89

nice wagon mate what motor and gearbox in that?

17. 1pickup

1pickup

Car was originally a V8, but I got it without an engine. I installed a 230 6cyl from a '69 truck w/ dual carbs & dual exhaust. Powerglide trans. Sold it a while back to another HAMBr and I see he's putting a V8 in it. So now it's faster, but not as cool. Here's a shot of the headliner I sewed up & made the boring car guys cringe!