Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Chevy BelAir Gasser Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KrucksGarage, Jan 9, 2023.

1. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

Is the entire design/weight difference in the roof panel and post, or are there other differences throughout the body design structure besides what's obvious?

Deuces likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thing’s that I know for sure. Extra floor brace/filler for back seat to come forward, door panels having bump out’s to create inner door handle but that does not come up to 50 lbs. Something to consider is what trans it come from the factory with. A 3 speed manual hard top could weigh less than a powerglide post model. I wish I knew where my dealers hand book is. It has all the weights of models, engines and transmissions.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

Interesting, thanks, that answers a floor pan question I just posted about as well. It's all just point of interest for me, always wondered about the construction design between the models.

4. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I am wondering if it would not be easier to just mount the spring hangers on the inside of the frame rails. Just switch from left to right and right to left. Boy you did a lot of fabrication just to hang the springs under the frame. Again, just asking.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  5. '57 Belaire 2 door hard top 3300 pounds. '57 Chevy 150 2 door post 2800 pounds (round numbers)
    The heaviest of the '57 Chebbys @ 4000 pounds and that would be the convertible.

A hard top car from the era used the heavier rag to chassis, plus had added structure in the body. On the post cars the roof added structural strength and the heavier chassis and structure in the body it self was not necessary.

the 150 model commonly had very few options and no regulators for the back glass as well as no rear seat. Some 150 models I have seen have had more options than others. But the base model 150 is built pretty spartan.

I have not included wagons in the conversation, I did not figure that they were relevant.

6. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

Now what do I do?!?....I bought a 55 Nomad tonight!!! I guess one good project deserves another.... PXL_20230214_065705683.jpg

enloe, lewk, 40two and 13 others like this.
  7. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

Thank you for that info feedback! Funny you should say, cause now I got a wagon! Haha...

Deuces likes this.
  8. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Hmmm.... Taken a couple yrs. Ago at local track...
    If I remember correctly I believe Lee Osborne had a hand in it.. KIMG9026.JPG KIMG9029.JPG KIMG9028.JPG

9. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

Deuces likes this.
  10. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

Haha, I hear ya and great question. I considered doing just that, but inboarding leaf springs is getting pretty narrow and I read several ill reviews of that method and wanted to keep the rear end as stable as possible while making room for the wider tires. This is also why I opted for the 5-leaf spring packs. When you pocket the springs like I have done here, the frame, springs, and mini tubs that I plan to install are all pretty closely in line, so mounting the springs inboard of the frame rails adds no extra benefit for fitment, but does imapct things like fuel tank fitment, exhaust routing, etc.. I have experimented in spring placement in other vehicles as well (mainly off road jeeps), and it does significantly impact the stability, the narrower you go. I guess otherwise, I just enjoy fabricating and doing jobs like this, it was a fun little project, parts were reasonably affordable to just buy the kit, and only took a weekend off and on to complete it. I do have a few stiffening support ideas I'm going to implement on the inside of the frame rails and around the spring pockets.

11. I wish I had a pic of it. I have an old friend that raced a '57 Handyman wagon. The story behind it and the end result are kind of humorous. I have seen pics of it and know for fact that at least the paint job part of it are true.

It was a 283 3 speed car, he claims that the 283 was a screamer. That is the part that cannot be proven I suppose. Its old racer chit, our cars were always winners, even if they had a hit'n'miss motor from a washing machine and a lot of gears. LOL

Now the humorous part is fun. Him and his buddy started screwing it together on a Monday night, they got the body as a roller and had the engine and tranny and a good gear set. 2 used slicks on a pair of Americans and etc. They also has some red, some white, and some blue paint. the plan was a red white and blue paint job. They started drinking and painting. When they were done, it was red, blue and white from the bottom to the top, except by the time they got to the other side they were about 3 sheets in the breeze, so the other side was blue, red and white from the bottom to the top.

I guess that they had a lot of fun in that old car. They raced it for 3 or 4 years, and never did fix the paint job. :D

12. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

Fun story! I especially like this part, as a former antique tractor club member and enthusiast with hit n' miss engines, this strikes a chord with me. Love it! HA! Thanks for sharing....

Deuces likes this.
  13. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

My 57 bel air 2dr sedan weighs 3280lbs, no front bumper and fullish tank of gas.
    @KrucksGarage that leaf spring set up is a great approach, You gain a ton of room.
    I opened my wheelwells to the frame like you're planning to do. Mine were rotted terribly so I moved the tubs in then made strips to fill in the gaps. Wow, that was a long time ago. . . .

14. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

I'm thinking about doing the same. The trunk floor is available with the wheel housing clearances set for minis, but I can fab off of the originals like you did and fill that gap as well. Maybe I'll go ahead with that vs. buying new housings.

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and wheeldog57 like this.
  15. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

Awesome! What is the story with this 55 were looking at?

Deuces likes this.
  16. Another Lee Osborn (sprint car hall of fame) build, number one off the assembly line, this red car is another he had built

FB_IMG_1576805711529.jpg

Also did the chassis on the black one and blue one

100_6870.jpg

slayer, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  17. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Lee Osborne is legend...
    An builds bad Ass for the most part 55's, I don't think Gasser wise I've ever seen anything other,
    In the Hall of Fame sprint car builder/ Racer.. An a Hell of a great guy.
    Edit, yep Phil you beat me to it... )

Deuces, KrucksGarage and swade41 like this.
  18. The guy that was doing the gray primer injected 55 had a baby so he sold the 55 and got into this big block 4 speed 56 wagon, that I believe is at Lee's getting some changes

FB_IMG_1676426363557.jpg FB_IMG_1676426360010.jpg FB_IMG_1676426372835.jpg FB_IMG_1676426412742.jpg

-Brent-, Butch M, enloe and 12 others like this.
  19. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

BAD....ASS!!!!!

Cool cars, no doubt! To be clear, the beige or the red car is number one off the line?

Deuces likes this.
  20. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

21. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

22. Beige car, his cars really run, definitely no issues using the buggy spring, he is quite the accomplished builder if you Google him, I believe he was building Jeff Gordon's Nascar cars when he was living down south.
    Here's John's blue "Tin Knocker" 56 with buggy spring, I think he won tri-five Nationals one year

FB_IMG_1676432854489.jpg

Butch M, AHotRod, slayer and 5 others like this.
  23. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

That's super cool!! Yea man those are sweet cars! I'll look him up and check out his work. Thanks for sharing!

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and swade41 like this.
  24. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

So I know Halibrand brought the Sprints back, now under Holley. Anyone seen these anthracite finish wheels installed in person or ran them yet? I'm considering a set for the 57.

Alternative front skinnies would be the rocket launchers, or something like these spoked gasser E/T's

Screenshot_20230214-193742.png Screenshot_20230214-212007.png

Screenshot_20230214-213207.png

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  25. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's alot of cool wheel's for a Gasser style build, the E.T's ain't it! Those F@#$!&g spoked E.T's will kill the vibe of a Gasser in a New York minute! Spoke's like that were used on Altered's and were taller and spindle mounted with no front brakes. PLEASE reconsider that option.
    My apology's... Rant over... Looking good so far! :cool:

26. I agree, but....I do have a handful of vintage photos of them on gassers and even a couple of funny cars, so not just altereds. I just sold a set because I didn't have anything I wanted to put them on, I got them in a trade deal.

20220519_165820.jpg

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  27. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

Haha! I love this response actually. It's why we're here! I'm not easily offended don't worry....(and thanks)

28. KrucksGarage

KrucksGarage

Good looking rack of wheels you have there. Lot of vintage vibe.

Deuces likes this.