Register now to get rid of these ads!

Small, Canned Ham style trailer plans

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by gnichols, Aug 26, 2012.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Gang,

I've always wanted to build an inexpensive small "canned ham" style trailer and wanted to know if anyone has done it, or has seen plans for them? I'm not very interested in a tear drop sized trailer, just too small for me. But I don't need or want one that weighs two tons, either. So I'm thinking of a shorty or mini version of a 50's art deco style trailer that is very light and just large enough to have a place to sit and eat, play cards or stay out of the rain. It might be long enough for a sleeper bench seat(s) but no longer than needed. Other "needs" might include: a place to prepare snacks, a small capacity fresh water system and sink, a holding tank, a mini-frige, electrial hookup and perhaps a dry / electric crapper. Cable and net? Most importantly, it needs to be tall enough to standup inside to change your clothes! I'm subscribed to most of the old trailer threads here, and have seen some small ones like I'm interested in, but not any mention of plans or home-builts in such a small size. Flyin Brian's recent rebuild is just a lot bigger than I need.

Or... does anyone want to brainstorm on some plans together, combining design inputs and images from other builders, experienced tin can draggers and RVers? We could post them here for all to use as they like, along with other info on product suppliers, recommendations for materials / suppliers, or where parts might be scrounged or sourced outside the RV world?

What do you think? Gary

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Those are back in style again... I passed up a trailer shop that had 2 new ones in the front lot... Sorry! no pictures..:(

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Lost me pix... here they are.

Attached Files:

4. Philroy

Philroy

Here is a link to a guy who is completely rebuilding one. There are several pictures, and they show the trailer frame and the camper frame. Hope this helps. http://www.thelindsleys.net/cannedham.htm

-Phillip Masters

5. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I'm 80% done with a teardrop trailer. A good website is the teardrops and tiny travel trailer forum. You will find several people there with the information you seek.

6. Gromit

Gromit

Might be cheaper to buy one. I have hauled a couple home for free. They were beyond repair as far as my abilities, but we pulled lots of parts out and had great frames (which we gave away)

Things like louvered windows, small sinks, ice boxes and other bits... just saying it's probably a good starting point. You can also see how they are put together and framed (2x2 framing and sheet aluminum...)

I am a member of the Vintage Shasta forum as well. Some good build threads there.

http://vintageshasta.proboards.com/index.cgi

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 'net is filled with dozens if not hundreds of sets of plans for small trailers taken from early magazines etc. from the 30s-60s.
    Some folks even sell discs with several different sets of plans on them for a nominal buck.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Cool site. Thanx, Gary

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx for the tips, friends. Gary

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A HAMBER, Flyinbrian....has a blog that shows his total reconstruction of one of these trailers. It offers great insight as to how they are constructed and what kind of, and where, to source the materials. Worth a search

Ray

11. BJR

BJR

I bet it would be cheaper to restore an original then start from scratch. They are all over here in Wisconsin for $500 up or down depending on condition. But maybe there are not so many in Fla.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

VERY interesting site, thanx, Gary

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Along with lots of teardrop plans there are canned ham trailer plans available.

One example. http://www.ericclaussen.com/hotroddice/trailer.html

the only issue with the cd ones is that they are often scans of old Popular Mechanix and Mechanics Illustrated magazine articles. Good info though.

Google Canned Ham trailer Plans and a lot comes up.

I've got a small late 60's travel trailer that has been gutted out that I was going to use to build a flatbed trailer with but the frame may get shortened a bit and turned into a canned style trailer .

14. upspirate

upspirate

Glen-L has trailer plans....maybe not the exact design you want,but they might give you insight for frame and scantlings for a design adaptation of your own.

They also have a great forum although not too much in the rv stuff,but boat materials & processes are discussed there that can be utilized.

http://www.glen-l.com/glen-l-rv-plans/

15. The wife and I just bought a 1955 Pleasure Craft Canned Ham. Trying to find a forum like this to ask questions on stuff. Anyone know of an active site. Found two that haven't had posts in years. Trailer 31 Paint removal.jpg

flatheadpete likes this.
  16. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

This is active and a whole lot of talent and info......http://tnttt.com/

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Vagina Baked Ham is one of my favorites.

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

3TONFUN goes camping.jpg
    My wife and I just picked this thing up. 1958 Tour-A-Home. Built in Flint, MI. We're making some changes...

19. Here it is now. All done. Will have it at Mooneyes this weekend. January 2023

Attached Files:

20. Nice transformation!

hotrodbob likes this.
  21. Hotrodbob- nice work, you will be the talk of the park. Is an era correct golf cart in your future?

hotrodbob likes this.
  22. Nacifan

Nacifan

Food Turck BUilder Douglessville GA Frame 3.JPG Food Truck Builder Douglessville GA. frame.JPG Food Truck BUiolder Douglessville GA done.JPG I stumbled on a Food Truck builder in Douglessville GA. He has a local shop weld up a steel square tube frame and builds from there. With the cheap Tubing Rollers that are out there and your MIG/MAG weld it should be a fun build. Might even be easier than rebuilding a rotted out old wood frame canned-hamb... This one pictured is going to be a "Vintage Vendors trailer ..

hotrodbob and down-the-road like this.
  23. Nacifan

Nacifan

IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0087.JPG I found this home built beauty quite hamb friendly 4 sure camped at the "bend-in-da-road at Bonneville in 2019. If I'm not mistaken I was told by the builder he started with an axle and built a square tube steel frame. Even Bead Rolled his side panels.....

55Deso, hotrodbob and down-the-road like this.
  24. LOL.... Well...... I did have one, but it was only a single seater. I would need another trailer just to haul the Golf Kart.. But I have this friend that has a old Harley-Davidson kart he is not using and...... Shhh, don't tell my wife...

25. Our 1957 Shasta, ready for Christmas. HRP

[​IMG]

26. That is bitchin!!! Love the polished body.