Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Brass Residual Pressure Valve

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oj, Jan 26, 2023.

1. oj

oj

Who makes a brass residual pressure valve for brakelines? All the ones I can find are anodized aluminum and they just won't look right. I need 10lb for drum brakes on a restoration project.
    Thanks, Oj

Just Gary likes this.
  2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Paint it?

jimmy six and oj like this.
  3. On a model A chassis i helped a guy with years ago, I used a Wilwood one, but the red looked awful, so I plugged the ports off, and wire wheeled the anodizing off, the hit it on the buffer and polished it up. Looked way better. I think they sell polished ones now, and there is a gold one but i think its only 4psi if I remember correctly.

oj likes this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

5. squirrel

squirrel

most old master cylinders designed for drum brake systems have the RPV built in.

sunbeam, jaracer, Moriarity and 3 others like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

ECI

RICH B, Tman and oj like this.
  7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, Alchemy! You beat me to it while I was looking up the link. :D

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Replaced my front drums on my F100 with the new disc kit #4 son gave me, so prior to installing the dual M'cyl, gave it a quick road test. (just a mile, stopping a couple of times...What a difference!)
    I work on 'exotic' O.T. cars, so never notice any difference...they ALL stop well.
    The 10 lb. RPV built into my old '55 Ford Pass. M'cyl. warmed up those rotors to 'simmer', so the rest of the job is now scheduled post haste.
    Thinking of going ECI with the 2 and 10 lb. RPVs.

seb fontana, Tman and oj like this.
  10. oj

oj

This is from the late 30's into late 40's, single bowl with a single line banjo fitting at the rear, I don't think the rpv is internal.

11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, they were, and usually labeled a check valve.

squirrel likes this.
  12. You can buy generic Residual Valves at any auto parts. Think "stock" here, or stock replacement. You may have to walk in and look at the parts guy face to face to get one. They come in steel and brass.

427 sleeper likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

It was usually in a metal cup that fit into the end of the spring, and a rubber seal, where it rests on the fitting plug.

41cp106.jpg

oj and 427 sleeper like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The aluminim ones are anodized simply because it is easier to tell the 2 lb from the 10 lb. If you have the master cylinder under the floor where it belongs and the residual valves on the frame rail anyone who sees them is too damned snoopy anyhow.

427 sleeper likes this.
  15. I have seen a lot of them right out in the open. I personally don't care if they are anodized or not but some people (mostly people who have never lifted a wrench in their life) throw a fit about 'em.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  16. ECI are THE ONLY ones we would sell!!!!!!! Great quality. At the shop we had a whole drawer of takeoff Anodized aluminum ones, Wilwood, Speedway etc................all were stripped, leaky or cracked. Total junk

oj likes this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Eci are the ones I gave ya @porknbeaner so
    You can be fancy like Trent lol

oj likes this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve had a Wilwood on my LSR roadster since 1981. Hand brake mounted on the frame..I didn’t know it was junk. 5 years on my 56 Ford. Disc/drum…news to me on that one too.

oj likes this.
  19. def stay away from the speedway ones. Ive seen them leak, do nothing and actually had one that held way to much pressure and would eventually lock up the front brakes on my 51 chevy. I had enough of all the under floor brake issues on that car and put a Walton fab firewall mount pedal on it.

gimpyshotrods and oj like this.
  20. oj

oj

You've pretty much nailed it Squirrel, I can look in and do see a cup, we'll give it a shot and see what happens.
    Thanks, Oj
    656.JPG

squirrel, Just Gary and Outback like this.