Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barn find - 1964 Pontiac Catalina 421 early custom car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by redranch, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Anderson

Anderson

Seems like it might be a while, but I am really excited to see the paint. Good luck in finding a correct enough lace to use. The work that’s been done so far looks top notch. And extra praise for restoring those wheels, a set of new astros would really have bummed me out!

loudbang and redranch like this.

2. Thanks for the comments, yes of the 4 speed manul 421 4bbl in 1964, mine is one of 1032 that were made. So it makes it a rare car anyway, then it has all this history with it. I could have done another restoration and taken it back to the Marimba Red, but I liked the history with this car, the fact that this style of custom had such a short life. The lace was only the second car that Jon Kosmoski had painted like this. I felt I had to keep this history with the car.
    I'm also lucky having the original owner (Bob Langham) help me with the smaller details and not to do things to the car that he regretted later. It's been a long journey...looking forward when I can show Bob the finished car as he had it back in 1967/68.

3. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

I remember when these came out, my old man took our '62 Impala SS down and had a set mounted on chrome reverse wheels. I was all of 8 or 9, fully enamored with everything "hot rod"

4. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Looks like some serious Hygge!

redranch likes this.
  5. Haha...yes it certainly has. I've picked that up from the Danes since moving here about 4 years ago :)

6. Anderson

Anderson

Incidentally, I think Marimba Red is one of my new favorite colors.

loudbang likes this.
  7. yes, it is a great colour, if the car didn't have the history it does, I would have gone back to the original colour.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

Good to see updates, the tach resto looks amazing. That gold '64 Impala on the hoist is no slouch, either.

loudbang, OahuEli, Elcohaulic and 2 others like this.
  9. Thanks for the comments. Yes the Gold Impala is a nice car, but it's Bob's own car...

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

as cool as they may be, the man is doing an accurate restoration of a historic custom car. I applaud him for wanting to go to great lengths to do it correctly

11. Thanks for this...yes, I'm trying to restore this to it's late 60's custom. I've enjoyed my conversations with Bob as to what he might have done next to the car at the time. We have to remember this was just someone making small changes to his car as he didn't want to show the same car each year. I've tried to catalogue the photos into each of the changes from paint, pinstripes, interior, wheels etc.
    It's not about doing what I would like or what other people might think looks best, it's all about trying to be respectful or the original idea of this custom and get as close as I can to that look and feel.

12. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apologies if you have mentioned it previously, how is Bob's recovery going?

redranch likes this.
  13. Thanks for asking Pete, I think he has good days and bad days. I actually heard from him yesterday and he said that over the holiday period it was a little rough for him as he was back in hospital again for about 5 days. He is now getting better, but not back to normal yet.
    Considering the severity of his accident I think has done an amazing job to be where he is.

14. Not much to post this time, Bob has been busy getting settled in to his new workshop, I know he is building a new paint booth etc. But he sent me these photos of the most recent work this week. As you might remember the rear lower fenders had a little work left to do, so this is work in progress as he repairs theses areas on both sides of the car. IMG_6423.jpeg IMG_3420.jpg IMG_3422.jpg IMG_3423.jpg IMG_3421.jpg

15. First update in a while, I now have all the trim for the car...this took a while to find, including the rear fender trim.

We also looked at the rear light assembly, one of the bezels was okay, but the other was cracked. I had a hunt around and found this pair of bezels in reasonable condition...I also found an NOS pair of lenses on eBay.

IMG_4104.jpg IMG_4105.jpeg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg

16. Next the body update, we are getting close to finishing this stage of the car, but like most people, I can only afford to fund this project when I have a little spare money in the account to help pay for the work needed.
    First of all Bob has been working on the tail lights and rear trunk area as this needed the most work. The tail lights are the original ones that will will replace eventually.

IMG_4129.jpg IMG_4130.jpg IMG_4131.jpg IMG_4133.jpg IMG_4132.jpg IMG_4134.jpg IMG_4129.jpg IMG_4130.jpg IMG_4131.jpg IMG_4133.jpg IMG_4132.jpg IMG_4134.jpg

17. When I was having my '64 GTO done the fit between the quarters and extensions were awful. They took a lot of work also. Must have been a manufacturer thing.
    Glad to see some updates!

redranch likes this.
  18. As you can see Bob has been busy with the final prep on the bodywork. I'll be happy when it is finally in paint.

IMG_4138.jpg IMG_4157.jpg IMG_4158.jpg IMG_4173.jpg IMG_4176.jpg

19. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

This beauty was parked outside of my office when I returned from lunch. Obviously, it made me think of your project. Can't wait to see it in paint!

Attached Files:

fauj, redranch, drdave and 4 others like this.
  20. SS327

SS327

Pontiac built some of the best looking cars from 55-67 in my opinion.

Jrs50, redranch and 31 B'ville like this.
  21. Still more bodywork getting done to the car, but we are getting very close to primer...hopefully before the end of the year I should have more photos.

IMG_4729.jpg IMG_4730.jpg IMG_4728.jpg IMG_4733.jpg IMG_4732.jpg

22. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The car will be straighter than new by the time all the blocking is finished...

redranch and guthriesmith like this.
  23. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I always wanted to graft a 1962-64 Catalina, Bonneville rood on to a 64 Grand Prix. Or change a 64 Catalina to a Grand Prix. I would also use the concave back window. Wow what a car! The tail treatment on that car was a master stroke!

41 coupe, redranch and OahuEli like this.
  24. We are very close to primer now...all the gaps are looking good. I see a small glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel on this restoration.

IMG_4791.jpg IMG_4790.jpg IMG_4793.jpg IMG_4792.jpg

25. Why do I hear Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones when I look at these photos?

26. Not me...I hear “Purple Haze” by Jimi Hendrix. :cool::D

9E658D6F-DC2E-412E-87E4-DE6276397873.jpeg

27. Far out man.

SS327, Rickybop, redranch and 2 others like this.
  28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah...
    Farm out, man.
    Right arm.
    Outa state. :D

Lotsa work.
    Lotsa fun.
    Paint comin' ! :)

SS327 and redranch like this.
  29. SS327

SS327

redranch likes this.
  30. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Only 2 or 300 hours of blocking primer after the filler...

redranch likes this.